Foxbat: A place in your campaign?

BigJackBrass

Re: Foxbat: A place in your campaign?

Foxbat hasn't shown up yet. But I have plans. :sneaky:

Here's a follow-up question for those of that have used Foxbat in your games: how do you handle him in combat? Obviously he's not meant to be able to go toe-to-toe with a team of 350-point heroes for more than a phase or two. So while I can think of several entertaining story ideas involving him, when I run through them in my mind they always end with: "Phase 12, Foxbat appears, everyone shoots Foxbat, end combat." Doesn't leave much time for wacky hijinks?

Foxbat hasn't shown up yet. But I have plans. :sneaky:

Here's a follow-up question for those of that have used Foxbat in your games: how do you handle him in combat? Obviously he's not meant to be able to go toe-to-toe with a team of 350-point heroes for more than a phase or two. So while I can think of several entertaining story ideas involving him, when I run through them in my mind they always end with: "Phase 12, Foxbat appears, everyone shoots Foxbat, end combat." Doesn't leave much time for wacky hijinks?

Lots of DCV and Combat Luck.

Yes, Foxbat has shown up in a campaign I'm running and in two campaigns I've been a player in (granted, it's the same GM, but that's okay by me). When done right, Foxbat is hilarious, as is his intention for existing. In my own campaign, Foxbat made a simple cameo appearance. I had planned on him doing more, but the game I was a player in had Foxbat show up and I didn't want to overload on him. Like MacArthur to the Phillipines, a well-designed boomerang, or a celebrity leaving a drug clinic, he shall return.

For combat, Foxbat has 6d6 of Luck. At the beginning of combat, I roll those dice and count up the total (like Stun). These are the bonus points he gets to use for OCV, DCV, activation and skill rolls, etc. When they're gone, his luck runs out, but usually this isn't the case. As a player, when Foxbat showed up for a combat scenario, only two people went after him, while the others dealt with other things. As a player you know Foxbat's not a serious threat, as a PC, you know Foxbat's not a killer, nor a serious threat, so there's no heroic reason to dogpile him. When I was a PC in a game where Foxbat showed up, after we beat him, GRAB showed up. Since we concentrated on them, Foxbat "somehow escaped." Classic comics stuff, which is what Foxbat lives for. :)

Foxbat has appeared in my game, which is not properly a super-hero game. Itsa 1950's pulp espionage game with powered agents and atomic horror, alien conspiracy, red-scare, and occult weirdness overtones. Tabloids gone large, but with a gritty, creepy feel. People who wear costumes are considered weirdos and unhinged (esp. by the heroes), though there is an incipent pajama-boy subculture (the hero's have traditionally played up the "men in black" aspect of their jobs and wouldn't be caught dead in spandex...), and the pulp tropes are in play. I use Foxbat as an extreme example of super-hero tropes gone off the deep end - as parody. On the other hand, he's actually considered a menace in my games. He always seems to be able to con some really big nasties into joining his various (very) short-lived crackerjack "leagues of villainy." He's managed to get Firewing and Grond in on his ludicrous schemes...

In a game we just started, I am playing the son on Marksman, who retired in the late 80's to raise a family (this is part of my Guardian's Project Idea).

Anyway, I worked with the GM, and in this Universe, Freddie finally was released from the hospital, and hung up his ping-pong ball gun for good, and retired to his mansion. ( It turns out, he has made a killing on merchandising FOXBATtm goods).

The advent of a new Marksman (always his greatest foe), has caused the aging Freddie to seek a protoge. Broodiing in the FOXBAT LAIRtm, while wearing a turtleneck sweater, Freddie is sending the New Foxbat out into the world!

To me, Foxbat seems best used as a vehicle to show the stupider elements of comics, the comics biz and pop-culture overall. Usually focussing on something topical.

Things like Kidnapping the celebrities of "Skating With The Stars" and using an armored Hover-Zamboni to assault the ice-rink where the show is taping.

Stupid crap like that.

I have experienced foxbat first hand. Orignally someone actually played him in our campaign as a hero to help out ( the person thought hey , this could be fun) and started him out at base level. But when he retired the charicter, he became a rouge element and as nutty as a group of squirells at a acorn farm! now when someone has bad luck in our game and if the bad luck is extreeme enough... he makes an appearance ....

heres one prime example...

TO save the group on board a space station once, i had to go outside in my powersuit to help stop a major supervillan... well he knocked me 7 ways to next sunday ( ok i was over 200 stun into the hole) as i fell to earth.

little did i know that the space station had 5d6 of unluck and i rolled 4 out of 5 of them to activate....

I fell to earth and sadly to my misfortune, i landed in the pool area of foxbat who was loungeing drinking his famous bannanna daquris.. he looked at my passed out form , looked up to the heavens and said "thank you god, i have been inspired!"

next thing i know.. i wake up dressed in a GIMP SUIT, bound and gagged in the local leather bar with a sign above my head that says proudly who i am and to "treat me like the bad boy i am"

GRRRR if i ever get my hands on him... ill GO VILLAN!!! (rubs his hind quaters soundly)

I fell to earth and sadly to my misfortune, i landed in the pool area of foxbat who was loungeing drinking his famous bannanna daquris.. he looked at my passed out form , looked up to the heavens and said "thank you god, i have been inspired!"

next thing i know.. i wake up dressed in a GIMP SUIT, bound and gagged in the local leather bar with a sign above my head that says proudly who i am and to "treat me like the bad boy i am"

See that feels more like CLOWN to me than Foxbat.

In the campaign I'm in, Foxbat is a LOON! Unfortunately he popular, very rich, and very lucky as well, but first and foremost he's a LOON. Oh, he also has a very competent butler and horde of lawyers who are very well paid and know there are few problems that Foxbat causes that can't be fixed by adding zeroes to a check. He's sometimes a villain, but the populas doesn't take him seriously. He gets these wild ideas that don't strictly work out but always wind up making money for him.

In the campaign he has a crush on our female character who, while an adult, is still emotionally about the same as a child. To her boys are still gross and kissing them is icky. Foxbat (who is mature in comparison) doesn't let that stop his attempts to romance her. That's good for us because we don't mind protecting her from his advances. Did you know that when frozen in time, Foxbat makes a great club and throwing object?

So in the end we have a LOON who's schemes both amuse the city and generate money thereby (in addition to his lawyers) keep him safe from a righteous pounding from probably the only group of people who don't like him.

My Champs GM -- Tenebre, who is lurking around here somewhere I'm sure -- used Foxbat to torment us on occasion.

He ran a pretty goofy game -- nonstop jabs at the inconsistency and sillyness of the comic book genre -- and used Foxbat to good effect.

Like, Foxbat once tried to convince our team to join under him as our leader. Then when we refused he attacked us with "summoned biscuits" or some such.

Or he'd randomly show up inside our super-secret fortress, bristling with weapons and hardened anti-teleport force fields and try to give us advice on how to proceed, then vanish before we had a chance to try and wring his neck.

My character was a cyborg brick (made by Mechanon) who failed to see the humor of his appearances, but I myself always had a good time with it.

Foxbat and his Foxbat Five are regulars in my campaign, and have been for over a decade.

Similar to what somebody else said, I had him steal a Batmobile used in the original TV series, also props and costumes from the show, and then tried to kidnap Adam West and Burt Ward, who were conned into appearing together at a mall opening.

When they heard about the mall opening, the heroes got costumes to appear as Penguin, Riddler, Joker, Catwoman, and Mr. Freeze, and showed up to stop Foxbat. I already had in my notes that the Foxbat Five would appear *in those same costumes*, along with the Costumatron (Patent Pending; Instant Change, usable against others) to put Adam West and Burt Ward into their outfits. With utility belts that really worked.

Foxbat also brought along a Photonic Optical Waveform (POW) generator to make holograms ("POW! BAM! KA-BLAM!") during the battle.

The heroes and villains paired off (Penguin vs. Penguin, Joker vs. Joker, etc.) and really hammed it up. The heroes "saved" Adam West and Burt Ward, taking them to a bar where they met up with Freddie and crew for drinks and some fan chat.

His other plots include accidentally freezing time for everybody but the heroes and the Foxbat Five; taking over the offices of the Hero.net Herald (the superhero newspaper in my game); kidnapping the writer and artist of a comic book to make himself the mystery villain in one of their story arcs; committing a series of crimes whose locations, when connected, would draw the Foxbat emblem across the city; running for Mayor of New York City (on an off year, so he'd have less competition); and of course chasing after the female heroes. I know there's a dozen others I'm forgetting.

next thing i know.. i wake up dressed in a GIMP SUIT' date=' bound and gagged )[/quote']

That does not sound like Foxbat, but I suppose there may be many ways of interpreting the character.

Still....imagine you're Foxbat, you think you live in a comic book, and one day an object falls from the sky (probably glowing and hot from atmospheric friction from an orbital fall) and turns out to be an unconscious man in high tech armor. What are you likely to think? to do?

Lucius Alexander

Besides, the palindromedary points out, Foxbat wouldn't be in a leather bar - that wouldn't be Approved by the Comics Code

Oh' date=' you were on the Mir? ;)[/quote']

actually it was one of our OWN spacestations. But since our GM has us all buy 25 points of MYSTEROUS disadvantage to all our base equipment... this was his baby..

sadly he told us afterwards that he was hoping for all 5 dice.. he had a senario planned for the spacestation to fall to earth and land in chicago. especally on OUR OWN BASE IN CHICAGO!!!!

hes evil that way.. yes..he truly is.

That does not sound like Foxbat, but I suppose there may be many ways of interpreting the character.

Still....imagine you're Foxbat, you think you live in a comic book, and one day an object falls from the sky (probably glowing and hot from atmospheric friction from an orbital fall) and turns out to be an unconscious man in high tech armor. What are you likely to think? to do?

Lucius Alexander

Besides, the palindromedary points out, Foxbat wouldn't be in a leather bar - that wouldn't be Approved by the Comics Code

oh anything that would have been considered "nekkid time" had the manditory "not approved by comix code" black bar in front of it. And he wasnt hanging out in the bar.. he strung me up and made sure he took pictures of me leaving ....

what WAS more his style is the pictures of me leaving (running nekkid because i felt dirty in the outfit) with the approprate comix code black bar over the area... with a KFC chicken bucket over my head to hide my shame. THose pictures were then copied and then flyers dumped all over chicago showing me in said nekkidness with the caption reading " SO this is the infamous officer Lockdown head of your specal crimes unit??"

I was NOT amused... but everyone at the table had a jolly good laugh!

his place is Cell Block Six:

All the crack–heads, the critics, the cynics, and all my heros at the methodone clinics.

For the time–bots ticking and the heads that hang. All the gangs getting money, and the heads to bang-bang

.... and all my homies in the county in cell block 6. The crips with the raining of the eggs to cook,

even DB Cooper and the money he took.

What if Foxbat is really an avatar of the Trickster?

(if there's a specic CU entity named "the Trickster", that's not who I'm referring to.)

Oh, I don't think there's any question. Foxbat is the Trickster personified, in His aspect as Wise Fool, or Sacred Clown.

Lucius Alexander

What are you looking at? Haven't you seen a man on a palindromedary before?

In my campaign his best friend is just a much a comic book loon as he is.

His friend:

STARMITE, the Ultimate superfan.

He is an autograph hound. will do nearly anything to get an autograph. He also believes he is the greatest superhero ever. And yes he does believe he is living in a comic book: STARMITE the Ultimate Superhero.

He knows more about superbeings and their powers and secrets then they do themselves. He and Foxbat play Champions Live Action Roleplay. The problem is they don't tell anybody else this is what they are doing. hilarity follows.

p.s. STARMITE was given a powersuit by Strike Force after they had to rescue his butt one time too many. This was like throwing gasoline on fire. it may put the fire out at first but when that gas evaporates and becomes fumes, you have a conflagration of an explosion.

Foxbat actually joined one of my campaign's teams out of pity and sympathy. He had previously followed one of the players around, renamed himself Foxbat Ronin and said that they were partners "but not in that way." He had also previously assembled a villain team that he named Foxbat's Menagerie that consisted of himself, Bull(dozer,) Wyvern, Leech, Griffin and a safecracking savant named Raccoon who happened to be the kid brother of one of the players. Good times.

I've discovered that the key to keeping Foxbat around past Segment 12 of a combat is to make sure there's actually something there with a higher priority to beat up and/or corral.

One of my favorite old villain teams that I pieced together from solo villains was the so-called 'Loser Brigade' ... the definite second-stringers of the universe who teamed up to try for better things (reminiscent, in a way, of Flash's rogues gallery in 'Flash and Substance'). Foxbat was a part of that, oh yes ...