Your Favorite Fantasy Weapon?

Starwolf

Re: Your Favorite Fantasy Weapon?

No' date=' it isn't. Excalibur came from the lady in the lake.[/quote']

Well yes, and/or no.

There are two "Arthur gets his sword" legends - the Sword In The Stone, and The Lady Of The Lake. Both legends have become associated with Excalibur.

Wikipedia, which can be trusted in all things :sneaky:has an article on the subject.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Favorite Fantasy Weapon?

The Sword Of Light from Slayers the series, this family hairloom of Gourry Gabriev is nice because it is one of the most powerfull swords in this world.

On the other side, Excalibur is a nice choice.

A note on Stormbringer and Mournblade, even as I like the 3 basic stories about Elric and his Sword I have to say I do not want to wield one of these two nasties. I do not even want to be on the same planet as these two, nor the same dimension. Stormbringer is a monster and only brings death and destruction to his wielder... nah! nothing I have on my wishlist

Ok, Stormbringers sense of humour is to my liking... these last words made me go :rolleyes: -> :D -> :ugly: -> :eg:

Normal weapons... well, I would like to take a warhammer/shield combo or punching daggers with armguards

No' date=' it isn't. Excalibur came from the lady in the lake.[/quote']

The legend often has Excalibur entrusted by the Lady of the Lake to Merlin; he places it in the, "stone" (which takes different forms in different versions of the story) by Merlin long before it is Arthur's time to rule in order to prove Arthur's heritage when the time comes.

-- Merlin (my given name) :)

...the legends I read had the Sword in the Stone break and Arthur getting Excalibur from the Lady in the Lake as a replacement.

See, originally, the Sword-in-the-Stone was the "canon" origin. Then, the "Lady in the Lake" origin came about.

The first attempt to rationalise this had the SitS origin as "Britain-2", and LitL as "Britain-1", in Geoffrey of Monmouth's lost classic, "Arthur in Two Britains". The Lancelot-1 vs. Lancelot-2 conflict in the later "Crisis in Britain-2" has been acknowledged as one of the greatest legendary fights ever by contemporary scholars.

But the medieval peasants allegedly found this "confusing", so Monmouth eventually wrote "Crisis in Infinite Britains", which combined the two legends in one - the SitS sword broken and replaced by the LitL. Unfortunately, that manuscript has been lost, and only the companion "History of the Kings of Britain" - written to explain the new continuity - survives.

This also explains the various different "Robin of Sherwood" legends.

Greyswander, Corwin's sword from the Amber Series.

More importantly, it's also the best weapon in Nethack.

Double damage, AND it's made of silver. And halucination resistance. And Archeologists can specialize in it. What more could you reasonably want?

---

"Ulch, that meat was tainted!"

See, originally, the Sword-in-the-Stone was the "canon" origin. Then, the "Lady in the Lake" origin came about.

The first attempt to rationalise this had the SitS origin as "Britain-2", and LitL as "Britain-1", in Geoffrey of Monmouth's lost classic, "Arthur in Two Britains". The Lancelot-1 vs. Lancelot-2 conflict in the later "Crisis in Britain-2" has been acknowledged as one of the greatest legendary fights ever by contemporary scholars.

But the medieval peasants allegedly found this "confusing", so Monmouth eventually wrote "Crisis in Infinite Britains", which combined the two legends in one - the SitS sword broken and replaced by the LitL. Unfortunately, that manuscript has been lost, and only the companion "History of the Kings of Britain" - written to explain the new continuity - survives.

This also explains the various different "Robin of Sherwood" legends.

:rofl::lol:

Repped!

:lol::rofl:

The Sword of Omens.

If you're gonna pick an overpowered Deus Ex Machina, go for the gusto and snap up the sword that does anything and everything. ;)

Might as well throw in the Sun Sword, the Starsword, and He-Man's sword and complete the Hanna-Barbera armory.

Nice to see some love for the Vlad Taltos weapons.

Black Wand is my favorite, hands down. "Death in the form of a sword" indeed.

I liked seeing the lady teldra being formed. Now that was the coolest weapon forging story ever.

So long as it isn't Kring the sword (The Colour of Magic). A talking sword is all well and good' date=' unless it won't [b']shut up[/b]!

Our GM took a tip from this. My starting character (Fonographix the bard) joined a more experienced adventurer (Hengeist the Paladin) as his trusty sidekick and he gave me magcal flaming sword.

me: "Gosh! Just starting my adventuring career and already I have a phat magic sword!"

It was actually a cool weapon, but I soon found out why I got it. It *would*not* shut up. Not long after, we encountered 4 trolls, and since we were in a hurry to go somewhere else, we simply tried to sneak round them. Hah - fat chance. As soon as the sword worked out what was going on...

"Hey! What are you doing? Those are trolls. I'm a flame sword. I was MADE to kill trolls. You can't pass this up! HEY TROLLS!! WE'RE OVER HERE!! WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR BUTTS...etc"

We did survive (barely) but afterwards I had a talk with my prized magic sword along the lines of "Hey, flamesword. How'd you like to spend the next couple of centuries at the bottom of a deep cold lake?"

It was an irritating presence, but I have to admit it was one of my favourite fantasy weapons. :D

cheers, Mark

I was going to point this out but someone beat me to it. Excalibur is an idea, more than anything else. That's why Arthur has two of them (the first he draws from the Stone, the second he gets from the Lady of the Lake) but when he gets the second no mention is made of the first, both of which mark him as the King of the Britons. That's what Excalibur was really about. I took a class on it. :D I took... a lot of classes on it. So.

Eh... favorite fantasy weapons. Yearm.

Holy Avenger, +2 Longsword, +5 in the hands of a Paladin, Dispel Magic 1/day I think in the old school version. Yes. I never once had a Paladin with one of these. Pity.

The Agiel was insanely nasty, and most certainly qualifies as a "weapon." Albeit a non-traditional one (Sword of Truth series).

*ponders* Most of the good ones I liked I either created myself or made interesting elsewhere. I don't read much fantasy anymore, so other than the blades from LotR, I'm not up on my possible options. I remember the Agiel extremely well because I think my ex-fiance wished she had one, but that's about it.