I can't wrap my head around a....

Hermit

Re: I can't wrap my head around a....

If you are a non villian with uber advanced tech that could change the way the world lives, then I think you are a asshat to withold that tech from mass production.

oh, thats easy. First all all, your stuff can't be mass produced. Or you fear it being mass produiced. I had a theorey once why a character of mine, Hornet, hadn't cured AIDS or other problems. I decided that he had figured a way, but a component of the delivery system could easily, easily be changed to custom attack any DNA system, and could me nade to transmit in a a more contagios manner than any common cold. In other words, releasing the vaccine meant someone would eventually get, and reverse engineer, the key component to make a series of the most devastating genetic weapons the world has ever known--a virus that killed based on whatever genetic factors it was programmed to get.

Fears over misuse of normal nuclear power makes the maker of the portable fusion generator pause.

Immortality vaccine? Or even somethign that extended the life span 50 years? Massive social upheaval.

The Champiosn Universe has a slightly higher normal tech level that I think many people tend to skip over.

Similarly, at the point where every common street vigilante has skintight, lightweight bullet proof armor, it's time to upgrade the police and most branches of the military, which will eventaully trickle down to others.

Those common vigilant's are often rich, have backers, or steal money from really rich criminals.

Heck, in the real world, most police departments send officers out with no, or inferior, body armor protection that what is available.

But, if you want, run a high tech campaign, and issue out the fun stuff, cure the cold, have our auto-drive flying cars. Hmm, a Hero game based on what the 1950's ci-fi types thought 2000 would be like...:)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fears over misuse of normal nuclear power makes the maker of the portable fusion generator pause.

That reminds me of my friend's character in our 50's Teen Game, Mastermind. He was Bobby Oppenheimer, the nephew of the famous Oppenheimer. Having discovered the secret of "Backpack Fusion" he went to his uncle, who told him the story of his failure to tame the nuclear beast. Bobby decided to hide his secret in the safest place he could think of. On his chest, behind as much armor as he could piece together...

Characters from other genres transplanted into a superhero world.

Jedi, Judge Dredd clones, clerics, terminators..even saw an elf once. Ahhh!!!

Witches, Norse & Greek Gods, Soldiers, Archers, Knights, cowboys...

Ohh Wait that's the Avengers...

I don't get playing an essentially normal person with a schtick. Stats lower than an agent or near enough too them and some sort of powers (gadgets Magick or what have you) at the main omph for the PC. I always ran with the idea that come hell or high water my PC would and should be able to run up to a Viper Agent bop him on the head and steal his mega blaster. Of course this tactic relies heavily on sneaking up to said agent but the idea is sound.

If you aren't better than a normal why are you a hero again?

Hawksmoor

Not a judgement' date=' but on observation: several of the opinions expressed in this thread are so counter to one another that it is doubtful we could qall ever sit down and play a game together.[/quote']

Hardly. Just because we can't wrap our heads around a concept, doesn't mean we can't play with somebody who can. :)

Me... honestly, I can wrap my head around most concepts, including those that some folks can't even imagine touching. Including some that scare most people.

The only one I really *can't* wrap my head around is the perfect character. The one who, while he's not Captain Everything, doesn't have some sort of major problem.

It could be public - being a member of a hated minority, like mutants. :help:

It could be exceedingly private - Huntress, for example, is a drug addict, something not even her team knows. :drink:

But I can't handle playing characters who don't have something wrong with them. Often, like Hamlet, their flaw will ultimately prove their undoing, unless they can claw their way back from the brink.

I guess I just love playing the tragic hero. :rolleyes:

Hardly. Just because we can't wrap our heads around a concept, doesn't mean we can't play with somebody who can. :)

Me... honestly, I can wrap my head around most concepts, including those that some folks can't even imagine touching. Including some that scare most people.

The only one I really *can't* wrap my head around is the perfect character. The one who, while he's not Captain Everything, doesn't have some sort of major problem.

It could be public - being a member of a hated minority, like mutants. :help:

It could be exceedingly private - Huntress, for example, is a drug addict, something not even her team knows. :drink:

But I can't handle playing characters who don't have something wrong with them. Often, like Hamlet, their flaw will ultimately prove their undoing, unless they can claw their way back from the brink.

I guess I just love playing the tragic hero. :rolleyes:

That's essentially the same problem as mine. Josh has taken to limiting the number of points I can put on Psych Disads, and enforcing said limit VERY strictly.

Not a judgement' date=' but on observation: several of the opinions expressed in this thread are so counter to one another that it is doubtful we could qall ever sit down and play a game together.[/quote']

Quite the opposite probably... While each one of us seems to have a problem wrapping out head around a particular concept/archetype to Play I'm sure we'd all be able to play in a game where someone else CAN get into that archetype we can't.

It's not that we can't play with or be around certain archetypes - we just can't seem to get into the role ourselves.

Except the brooding loner, they have no real place in an RPG. Brooding sure, loner - no. At least tip your hat towards playing with the group. Even if it's "I don't like you, but I respect and trust you in a tight spot, and I'll work with you for the greater good. Now excuse me I must brood silently to make up for this hefty monologue."

I just can't seem to play chipper, happy characters. Happy-on-the-outside/ screwed-up-on-the-inside: yes. But truely happy? Never.

Also while I can enjoy playing flagsuits, I can't rationalize 'my country right or wrong' at all. I always have to leave some room for doubt.

I can't rationalize 'my country right or wrong' at all. I always have to leave some room for doubt.

Try a flag character like the following quotes suggest

My Country! When right keep it right; when wrong, set it right!

--Carl Schurz:

Our country. In her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right; but our country right or wrong!

--Stephen Decatur.

My kind of loyalty was loyalty to one's country, not to its institutions or its officeholders. The country is the real thing, the substantial thing, the eternal thing; it is the thing to watch over, and care for, and be loyal to; institutions are extraneous, they are its mere clothing, and clothing can wear out, become ragged, cease to be comfortable, cease to protect the body from winter, disease, and death.

--Mark Twain

The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

--Mark Twain:

Love of country is like love of woman -- he loves her best who seeks to bestow on her the highest good.

--Felix Adler

Patriotism is proud of a country's virtues and eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues.

--Sydney J. Harris

Quite the opposite probably... While each one of us seems to have a problem wrapping out head around a particular concept/archetype to Play I'm sure we'd all be able to play in a game where someone else CAN get into that archetype we can't.

Yeah, actully I retract my previous statment. I kinda forgot the initial topic. I blame it on lack of sleep... :(

I can't seem to graps highly mystic martial artists myself. I've enjoyed the occaional dragonball Z episode' date=' but I couldn't see myself trying to play a character in the vein of that.[/quote']

It's not so bad. Flying brick with a few showy energy blasts and a weird haircut. ;)

It's not so bad. Flying brick with a few showy energy blasts and a weird haircut. ;)

Yeah, it's not the build, it's the roleplaying of them. Some folks balk at cowboys in Champions, me, I just have trouble with some anime translations.

Mages and Gadgeteers -- basically they're archetypes that really need a Variable Power Pool to make them work. I do not understand the arcane rules governing the VPP, and oh, how I hate the VPP! Even if it's limited in scope and justified by the character build, having a VPP always feels like the rawest form of Munchkinery.

So I dislike and avoid Mages and Gadgeteers as PCs in Champions...which is a shame, because I'd rather like to play a Mage if it weren't for that VPP. Gadgeteers, though...I'd only play a Gadgeteer if somebody were paying me. The character concept itself is totally unappealing.

The mage and gadgeteer in our game both had to start off with MP's. They did just fine.

At an average cost of 1-5 pts per slot, they could easily add a new power to their character every adventure and still have points left over for skills and other stuff. The GM would frequesntly allow them to add these powers mid adventure after a period of research.

Don't get me wrong. I think VPP's are great, especailly with the right limits on them so you don't step on the other players toes, but they are not "necessary" for those concepts, just really, really point efficent :)

Just a couple of things, for me:

1. Mimes :D
    In the first Batman movie, when those mimes showed up on the steps of Gotham City Hall, I knew something evil was about to happen! :P
  2. More seriously: Wuxia
    (Especially if the GM and/or Player tries to argue the wuxia PC's powers are not magic! :confused:

Franklin

Just a couple of things, for me:

1. Mimes :D
    In the first Batman movie, when those mimes showed up on the steps of Gotham City Hall, I knew something evil was about to happen! :P
  2. More seriously: Wuxia
    (Especially if the GM and/or Player tries to argue the wuxia PC's powers are not magic! :confused:

Franklin

Freaky. I just finished writing up a Mime martial artist.

I've thought of another: Characters who are tactically inept.

Gm, "So Big Dumb Brick Boy. The bad guy just steps out of the bank with a bag of loot. What do you do?"

Big Dumb Brick Boy, "Eh punch 'em."

Eee Gads Roleplaying and the Hero System in particular offer you so many options I find it borders on the criminal not to excercise some of them.

I've thought of another: Characters who are tactically inept.

Gm, "So Big Dumb Brick Boy. The bad guy just steps out of the bank with a bag of loot. What do you do?"

Big Dumb Brick Boy, "Eh punch 'em."

Eee Gads Roleplaying and the Hero System in particular offer you so many options I find it borders on the criminal not to excercise some of them.

I'm with you on that one. I could never play a straight brick without a Brick Tricks multipower, some Martial Arts, or other powers that provide soem versatility (like playing an Earth Elemental so I can do Earth Control, or doing a brick/speedster combo, or something).

Add to that characters without noncombat skills (or only the token 'PS: Occupation'). That drives me up the bloody wall.

What character concept' date=' archetype, or origin can you just not wrap your head around and why?[/quote']

How about an entire genre?

I do not get Westerns. I only played Deadlands because I had heard such excellent stories about the Mad Scientists, and I thought "CoC, here I come!". I do not find the genre at all exciting, interesting, or appealing. It bores me.

I used to have the same reaction, to a lesser extent, to the SciFi genre, but after reading the Deathstalker series, I got over that. It may be more "Science Fantasy" than "Science Fiction", but, what the heck; at that point, the genre is more "space opera", and the metaphysics just a backdrop.

Space Opera . . . because in space, noone can hear you sing.

I'm sorry..........

But, please don't even PRETEND to talk about the Deathstalker series like it is good SciFi.

Now, it is really neat in terms of its setting and source material..... but otherwise, I get really frustrated at the constant powerlevel ramping.

I still can't help but read it.