Iron-Man Movie!

levi

It has been announced that the first movie from Marvel's new film slate (backed by Paramount) will be Iron-Man.

Jon Favereau, a great director who also played Foggy Nelson in the Daredevil film, is the Director. He has a Blog on myspace if any of you are interested. There is a link to the blog on superherohype(.com)

Re: Iron-Man Movie!

The main problem i see is who going to play the bad guy. It gets boring if it turns out Stark builds the armor and the govt. tries to take it.

I also can't see the Mandarin in this one. People might get him confused with Ras al Ghul in Batman begins.

The main problem i see is who going to play the bad guy. It gets boring if it turns out Stark builds the armor and the govt. tries to take it.

I also can't see the Mandarin in this one. People might get confused him with Ras al Ghul in Batman begins.

Well, aside from Mandarin and a whole raft of dirty Commie rats, who does IM have for villains? Hawkeye? (Now for some reason I see Alan Alda playing the bow-wieding Avenger...) I'm honestly curious here -- just who are Iron Man's main villains?

Hopefully this will be up there with The Hulk' date=' the X-men movies and the Spiderman moves. Please don't let it be down with Electra and The Punisher. (Although, anything was better than Dolf Lundgren...)[/quote']

Favreau is a talented guy, and he knows the material. He used to be a big comic book and gaming geek before he took up acting. That was one of the main reasons he was in Daredevil. This could be good.

I see no problems with using AIM in a movie. Even MODOK could be interesting with a little tweaking. You couldn't go for the giant floating head look, but the acronym is just cheesy enough to make a good Big Boss. I am thinking of the giant robot at the end of the original Robocop movie. That was a classic battle.

Actually, after seeing Leonardo play Howard Hughes on The Aviator I had to admit he probably WOULD be a good choice.

I wonder myself how much Stan Lee had Hughes in mind while creating Iron Man. Millionaire playboy, technological innovator--coincidence?

I think MODOK could be an effective and really creepy villain if done correctly. I remember in the recent Captain America and the Falcon series they had a scene in an AIM laboratory where two AIM techs are dragging a third kicking and screaming towards the empty MODOK harness, while AIM's director is saying something like, "You have been chosen for a great honor!" That scene creeped me out when I read it--I never thought of MODOK as being formerly human.

The Titanium Man could work as a Russian attempt to regain military superiority that is compromised, either by AIM agents or even pro-Communist elements seeking to restore the Soviet Union.

It would be nifty to have Iron Man fighting some Sentinel robots--kind of a crossover with the X-Men movies.

I would really like to see a villain that destroys tech as the villain, maybe Malleon (a relatively recent and short lived IM villain), but definitely something that shows how Tony Stark saves the day, not the armor. Perhaps something Tony created long ago that AIM got ahold of and mutated / evolved into a sentient techno-virus. Hell, maybe in the Marvel movie-verse Tony Stark creates Ultron instead of Hank Pym (pretty unlikely we're getting a Hank Pym or Avengers movie anyway).

Doesn't look like Cruise is involved ATM, but you never know. Favereau has solicited feedback from the fans and maybe he will check here (once I include a link to this thread in the myspace blog) on who he should cast for the lead as well as anything we would like / dislike seeing in the film. This thing is still in the very early stages and as others have said he is definitely a fanboy of the material. People have suggested everyone from Leonardo DiCaprio to Oded Fehr to John Stamos to play Tony. I'm curious what you guys think.

Glad to hear that some of you guys are excited about this film too. I will try to keep the thread updated if I read more.

I had read at one time that Bruce Campbell was being considered for the role. I thought this was a brilliant choice. Not only does he bear a passing resemblance to the popular depiction of Tony Stark, and clean up nice in the ubiquitous socalite tuxedo, but he is a brilliant physical comedian as well. The role of Iron Man needs someone who can express emotion and convey mood while wearing the Iron Man armor. Possibly the only thing we'll see of the actor while he "sited up" is his eyes, through the faceplate. That requires an actor who can really be expressive despite the ridiculous costuming. Campbell surely can.

Another advantage Campbell has over the Cruise / DeCaprio set is that since he is not as famous and celebrated an actor, he won't demand as much face time and detract from the scenes where he is Iron Man. Big name actors want their faces seen, which results in movies like "the Shadow" where Alec Bladwin could not keep the mask and hat on long enough for the Shadow to do much of anything. And let's face it, Iron Man flying into the final confrontation with whoever ends up as the villain and tearing his helmet off ala Michael Keaton in "Batman Returns" is just plain stupid.

So, I for one hope those rumors are true, and if not, Mr. Faverau, if you are reading this, take my advice; Go Campbell. You can't go wrong!

Hell' date=' maybe in the Marvel movie-verse Tony Stark creates Ultron instead of Hank Pym (pretty unlikely we're getting a Hank Pym or Avengers movie anyway).[/quote']

That's the suggestion I find most potentially intriguing. Tony Stark has remarked that Ultron disturbs him, as the embodiment of the destructive potential of the technology that Tony has built his life around. If Stark accidentally created Ultron, that would be plenty of motivation for him to turn himself into an armored fighting machine, so as to be able to personally confront his maniacal creation.

Considering that in the comics Tony Stark lost both his parents at a relatively early age, and is unmarried and without children, I think that a villainous artificial "son" with an Oedipal fixation on his "father" could lead to interesting character exploration.

I wonder myself how much Stan Lee had Hughes in mind while creating Iron Man. Millionaire playboy' date=' technological innovator--coincidence?[/quote']

Hard to say. Stan was never shy about borrowing concepts. However, it was revealed in later stories that Tony Stark's deceased industrialist father was named Howard. ;)

How about this: Stark builds the War Machine armor first for homeland security but then it gets stolen by the guy field-testing the suit:his best now ex friend, Rhodes, who plans to sell the suit to Stark's business rival, Justin Hammer.

But a flaw develops and Rhodes goes crazy. Guilt ridden because his invention was reponsible, Stark builds the Iron Man armor designed to counteract War Machine.

I know its lame, but you know Hollywood.

Sadly, the Iron Man rogues gallery is virtually non-existent. Aside from the Mandarin (who would be far too politically incorrect for modern Hollywoodland) there really isn't much there. Stane and the Iron Monger are good foils, but they really require delving into Stark's history more than any single movie could accomplish. Modok would be...disturbing. Either it would look real (which is a bit too gross to contemplate) or it would look false, in which case what's the point? Still, I'm anxious to see where this movie goes. It's much easier to get excited when the director doesn't have open scorn for the material.

RE: Modok -- what if, instead of turning someone into a grotesque floating head, they get turned into an electronic intelligence, existing solely in cyberspace (or whatever you want to call it), and gain the ability to 'possess' and control technology?

I.e., Iron Man spends the first part of the movie going after the folks who have stolen and abused his technology, he then starts making new armor to fight them -- and Modok downloads himself into it, leading to a battle between Tony Stark in 'Classic Iron Man' against a Modok-possessed War Machine suit.

Well, I know he's not really part of Tony's Rogues' Gallery (at least, not beyond the fact that he's part of everyone's Rogues' Gallery), but Dr. Doom would be a logical choice, and more recognizable to the casual fan than the other choices people have suggested.

I do like the FenrisUlf's suggestion, too. Shades of the Sentient Armor, with ABSOLULTELY NO MENTION of the Y2K bug.

AIM? What does Stark have against Instant Messaging?

I am so sorry.

I like Oded Fehr as Tony. I would like a movie without an origin story. Just start the picture with Iron Man messing up Titanium Man, who gets hauled away. Cut to Tony at a press conference w/ IM. He explains that once again , his bodyguard has thwarted evil. Tony and IM leave and as soon as they are alone, Tony shuts off the suit which is revealed to be unoccupied. Rhodes offers to fly him back to Stark Ent but he suits up and flys home where he racks the suit, pours a glass of Tallisker, and uses his shirt sleeve to buff a scratch of the faceplate. Roll opening credits.

This takes seven minutes tops.

What we don't need is Tony in a POW camp building a suit out of old jeeps and f-ing up commies. We don't need the shcrapnel-punctured heart. We need to know Stark is a rich dude with a weird hobby. Done. Start the story. Something about Stane selling Cold War armor tech to terrorist or something. Leave the rock-bottom alchoholism for IM-3.

Oh, and we need at least a vioce-mail message from Steve Rogers for the fan boys. Like me.

We also get into elements of ethical vs. unethical. Agreed: leave the hard-core, bottle-bottom alcoholism for film three, but you MUST INCLUDE IT. It's a signature of the character. Also, the character can be 'thrown forward' a bit. We don't need an 'origin story' in the traditional sense. I'd rather see the film paint Stark's life on its own merits. Instead of "Look at my tragic hero and how screwed up he is" let's say "Here's a man. This is who he is and what he does. This is how he copes with his problems. This is another man - he sells weapons to terrorists and the highest bidder. If anyone knew who he was, he'd be arrested. Stark cannot fight this man directly, as he has no proof.

Iron Man, however, has no such boundary."