The Zodiac Super Hero Team?

Hermit

It doesn't look like the 4th Edition version of the Zodiac is coming back. Where others may lament, I see oppurtunity!

Mark Burleson A.K.A. Taurus, is one of the super heroes of Millennium City. We could easily have a theme team form up based on the Zodiac that consists of super heroes. I'm tempted to do this for a campaign, but I would like folks input.

Mind you, I'm still not sure if I'll just have this as another NPC hero team out there, or if I'll be able to coax my players into it.

1) What sort of archetype and what sort of powers do you think fit each sign?

2) Some Zodiac signs seem to be a bit gender oriented, would you allow a male Virgo or female Taurus for example? or would the threat of 'cow' jokes ruin that?

3) Scientifically, the sun now passes through 14 signs, or so I'm told. Would you stick to the original 12 only... or include Ophiuchus - The Serpent Holder and Cetus-the Whale?

4) Should such a team have a unifying origin, or just form together haphazardly or via a Patron?

5) How do you visualize such a team of heroes operating? Rather public, covert, or what?

The signs are supposed united by the four elements, earth, air, fire and water. If we stick to the original 12.

I'd have to check which ones are which though. Although it is glaringly obvious in the case of Pisces for example.

As for powers, Aquarius has to have water powers either as an elemental or as a form of projection.

Pisces would have to have swimming or control of fish

Sagittarius would have to have a bow of some description.

Gemini would have to have some form of double power like duplication.

• Taurus: I would go pure brick. Maybe with some leadership and lots of brick power ala USPD.
  • Gemini: A multiform of a brick (Strong Twin) and a mentalist (smart twin) (or maybe a mage). Maybe make it so they can't control which multiform is active.
  • Cancer: Brick, lots of Defense and grappling attacks. Give him an hunted by Moonchild (the new zodiac sign that some replace Cancer with, because the name Cancer was to offensive).
  • Leo: Dex guy with some HKA. Have him be able to talk and command animals.
  • Virgo: Detect Lies (Detect Innoence), other Mental powers and healing.
  • Libra: A techie and gadgeteer, with lots of criminology skills.
  • Scorpio: Major Martial Artist ex-assassin.
  • Sagittarius: Ultimate range combat person, lots of weapon skills, plus improvsived weapons (ala Bulleye from Marvel Comics).
  • Capricorn: Alien whose homeworld is in the constellation Capricorn. Absorb stellar energies. Energy blaster with some Cosmic Powers(ala USPD).
  • Aquarius: Body of water, and other water powers. Brother to Pisces.
  • Pisces: Queen of the sea. Swimming, strength and controls fishes. Sister to Aquarius.
  • Aries: Projection blast of pure kinetic (physical) energy. Likes making battering rams of his kinetic energy.

Mike

Does anyone know if there is any particular reason why the original villainous Zodiac team will not be making a 5th edition update into the new CU?

Are there other plans for them? does the company not have the rights to the characters? or is it just simply that Steve does not like them?

Personally, it would be a real shame if they failed to make it back further down the line, they were amazing characters and easily knocked spots off the original marvel universe Zodiac teams in flavour, originality and powers matching their sign.

Anyone have any answers?

rgds

Dean

Originally posted by djday38

Does anyone know if there is any particular reason why the original villainous Zodiac team will not be making a 5th edition update into the new CU?

Are there other plans for them? does the company not have the rights to the characters? or is it just simply that Steve does not like them?

Personally, it would be a real shame if they failed to make it back further down the line, they were amazing characters and easily knocked spots off the original marvel universe Zodiac teams in flavour, originality and powers matching their sign.

Anyone have any answers?

rgds

Dean

I wouldn't worry about it if you have the 4th edition. It should be easy enough to update.

My idea plays to the "Mysterious Benefactor" origin and uses a combination of mysticism and super science to create a team that embodies the universal energies of the zodiac signs and uses Mike's Powers...

Have the players make up 150 pt. "normals" something along these lines...

Taurus: Ex-Military Leader

Gemini: Psychologist who specializes in Multiple Personality

Disorder

Cancer: Marine Treasure Hunter

Leo: Big Game Hunter

Virgo: New Age Bookstore Owner

Libra: Ex-Cop or Lawyer

Scorpio: Ex-Assassin

Sagittarius: Ex-Olympic Athelete (Archer / Marksman / Track)

Capricorn: Orphaned Half-Alien runaway, human appearance.

Aquarius: Bio-Chemist

Pisces: Marine Biologist

Aries: Ex-Pro Wrestler or Football Player

These people are brought together by mysterious invitation and are made a ware that they have been a part of a grand plot contrived by the Ancient Order of the Zodiac or The Twelve...something like that. Each of them has been genetically bred over the last ten generations to be the perfect vessel for the spirit of their sign. Something deep inside them knows this to be true, though not all will participate willingly. Those that agree to the process are placed in an advanced tech chamber while an arcane ritual is performed.

When they awaken from the chamber, they all have Mike's power list (the extra 200 pts, except Capricorn who would probably have less skills/talents and more Powers) along with the ability to manifest into living embodiments of their associated signs. I would think these would be drastic changes in body size / shape / color to further exemplify their signs (think mythology for inspiration). They could revert to human and lead normal lives, unless contacted by the Mysterious Benefactor to act in the interest of the organization. They would also gain disads such as...

Watched by "The Twelve"

Hunted by DEMON ~or~

Hunted by Anubis...nobody likes "New Gods" less than Old

Gods (ask Neil Gaiman)

Accidental Change - on command from "The Twelve"

Dist. Features - Aura of Sign

Even a genetically bred Vulnerability that "The Twelve" can use to control the avatars.

Hope this helps...

Interesting there Levi. Might use that.

That's twice that Taurus has been set up as the leader. I do recall that in Marvel (and natch the 4th Ed Zodiac team) but I seem to recall Aries stereotypically being related to the 'head' and leader types. I maybe wrong.

Re: The Zodiac Super Hero Team?

Originally posted by Hermit It doesn't look like the 4th Edition version of the Zodiac is coming back. Where others may lament, I see oppurtunity!...1) What sort of archetype and what sort of powers do you think fit each sign?

I once played a Villains and Vigilantes character called Zodiac. He had the equivalent of mutiform into the 12 Zodiac signs.

The character's backstory was that a super villain had created a team of zodiac-based supervillains but that an accident had caused the 12 supers to be merged with the body of an innocent bystander (who became Zodiac).

The accident was that one of the test subjects (Capricorn) was possessed by a demon (does neat stuff with the goat imagery). If Zodiac turned in to Capricorn (he couldn't completely control the form that he'd become), the demon was in control, and he tended to be pretty evil.

The other interesting thing about the 12 zodiac forms were that they had all been human test subjects with their own lives. Each form had its own personality. Some of Zodiac's forms kept trying to make contact with former family members and friends.

The powers were:

1. Capricorn: Hellstrom-like soul flame powers and flying pentacle (although Capricorn is an Earth sign)
  2. Aquarius: Turns to water and/or shoots water, much like Fathom from The Elementals
  3. Pisces: Green scaled water-breather with a triton.
  4. Aries: Sonic powers (blows a ram's horn)
  5. Taurus: Classic dumb brick
  6. Gemini: Can shapechange into a duplicate of someone
  7. Cancer: Has nasty pinchers
  8. Leo: lithe, highly agile, cat-person, tracker and hunter
  9. Virgo: Emotion control (love). One of the more headstrong forms.
  10. Libra: blind sword-weilder
  11. Sorpio: Pretty much a clone of the Marvel Scorpio
  12. Saggitarius: Archer and Centaur

I always like the idea of a supergroup with the Zodiac theme.

But instead of having a special super with specific abilities for each sign, how about a group of twelve supers whose actual personnel changes?

The signs would be titles instead of just super-names. Various supers would be asked to step in and take up a particular "chair" or role, with some nod given to what requirements there would be for that role. For instance, the Sagittarian would be archer or missle-weapon focused and the Virgo might be water-focused (even if that meant someone like Aquaman).

This gives you several interesting origins for the group:

- The Zodiacs could be Earth's mystic defense force, with membership taken from a variety of mystical and a few non-mystical supers.

- The Zodiacs is a group that started in the Pulp era and continues to this day. They help stop World-threatening crime and swoop in to help in times of natural or unnatural disaster.

-- The Zodiacs are a supers team who protect the Sol system (in a SciFi supers setting), with membership taken from various plantery systems (Jupiter, Mars, Saturn).

A variation on the "mysterious benefactor" origin could play upon the conceit of the astological Zodiac influencing human destiny: the Zodiac members could be servants of Fate as manifested through the Zodiac. Their activities would be governed by the exigencies of what was "destined" to be, based on the premise that Fate requires action in order to be maintained.

While this framework would be very limiting for PC heroes (unless questioning of or rebelling against Fate was to be a major theme of the campaign - sounds kind of Elric-like), it would make for interesting NPCs. While the Zodiac's activities might be construed as beneficial in Fate's overall scheme of things, on a case-by-case basis they could be considered "good" or "evil" depending on what they were required to do, so they might assist NPC heroes on one occasion and oppose them on another. The players would never know what to expect when the Zodiac showed up. ;)

I believe you are correct about Doug Shuler maintaining the rights to the 4th ed "Zodiac Conspiracy" materials. If it helps, Mole and I ran a multi-session adventure w/ Zodiac Villains rather similar to Shuler's, though not exactly the same. They were comprised of mostly Aliens or Extra-dimensional beings, though a few were human. They had a Uber-State of the art Spaceship/Base called The Talisman (Similar to Shuler's Kyklos..or something like that.) Here's the Breakdown:

Ophiuchus - Leader of the group - a very powerful Mentalist specializing in hypnotic effects like illusion and mind control. Had a Cobra-like head and hood - like the Jade Naga in S.A.S.

Sagittarius - Combat leader and second in command. A proud and noble warrior from the planet Centauria. His race are literally the Centaurs from ancient human mythos, though those were infact travellers from his world who came to Earth. The race itself is very similar to Klingons. He was a Weapon Master w/ a VPP Energy Bow.

Scorpio - Human Scientist from an Alternate Dimension Earth who created the Scorpion Powersuit. Ultra thick armor and an EB tail.

Aries - Formerly "The Ram" - a Brick villain from earlier in our campaign - Beefed up by Scorpio and Ophiuchus when he joined the Zodiac. In the end, still just a brick.

Leo - Formerly "Bloodsport" a MA villain from the same villain team as The Ram - Same process as The Ram to improve his speed and agility, a Master MA

Virgo - Formerly "Siren" a EP villainess from the same group as Ram and Bloodsport. Had a nasty Sonic attack, and was very attractive, gained limited mental powers from Ophiuchus to increase her powers of charms over men

Taurus - Minotaur-like Alien - Growth Brick w/ a Multipower Axe. Taurus was an expert Bounty Hunter w/ very good tracking skills when he was hired by Sagittarius to join group. Basically, he's Boba Fett..but bigger..and harier and w/ no armor. :D

Pisces: Atlantean Princess with Psychokinetic Healing abilities

Aquarius: Water Elemental w/ Desolid and water based MP

Libra: Group Mystic, all actions dictated by tipping of his scales - focus of his variable Summoning pool...Sort of Two Face Meets Dr. Fate..with Summoning powers. :D

Gemini - Human Mutant - expert thief whose mutation is the ability to be in two places at once.

Capricorn - Speedster whose horns could be used as a whip like stretching attack or to entangle.

I can't remember who I'm leaving off here...I'm sure it will come to me. Sorry. :(

-T

Re: Grazi

Originally posted by Hermit

Thanks for the input so far folks, especially Mike. Mike, did you have that already prepared or did it just come to you in a burst all at once? :)

I pretty much came up with that off the top of my head, although I have thought about revamping the orginal Zodiac group (just to get some good use out of the color art in the book).

Mike

I've been using Zodiac for years, long before Doug's version. When his came out I use some of them and at one point I had all 12 on my website. Because of Mr. Long's defense of DOJ intellectual property rights I have removed all characters that he and DOJ might consider infringement on their copyright material. However, this did leave the portion of the Zodiac that was purely my own creation and those are available on my site. The six available are Aries, Leo, Libra, Pisces, Scorpio and Virgo. One might note that I still use the picture of Aries from Doug's Zodiac but as Mr. Long has stated the use of up to five HERO product pieces of art is acceptable. I am currently revamping the remaining six members of the team but while I might place them on the site, I will continue to use Doug's Taurus, Sagittarius, Cancer and Capricorn as those particular character's have a history within my campagin. I had planned on replacing Doug's Gemini for some time but haven't come up with a good concept as yet.

I have noted that many suggest that Aquarius use water-based attacks. While this is consistant with the name 'the waterbearer', Aquarius is NOT a water sign but an Air sign.

The Water signs are Pisces, Cancer and Scorpio.

The Fire signs are Aries, Leo and Sagittarius.

The Earth signs are Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn.

The Air signs are Aquarius, Gemini and Libra.

The Wild Hunt presents the Zodiac

• 4 years later...

Re: The Zodiac Super Hero Team?

• Taurus: I would go pure brick. Maybe with some leadership and lots of brick power ala USPD.
  • Gemini: A multiform of a brick (Strong Twin) and a mentalist (smart twin) (or maybe a mage). Maybe make it so they can't control which multiform is active.
  • Cancer: Brick, lots of Defense and grappling attacks. Give him an hunted by Moonchild (the new zodiac sign that some replace Cancer with, because the name Cancer was to offensive).
  • Leo: Dex guy with some HKA. Have him be able to talk and command animals.
  • Virgo: Detect Lies (Detect Innoence), other Mental powers and healing.
  • Libra: A techie and gadgeteer, with lots of criminology skills.
  • Scorpio: Major Martial Artist ex-assassin.
  • Sagittarius: Ultimate range combat person, lots of weapon skills, plus improvsived weapons (ala Bulleye from Marvel Comics).
  • Capricorn: Alien whose homeworld is in the constellation Capricorn. Absorb stellar energies. Energy blaster with some Cosmic Powers(ala USPD).
  • Aquarius: Body of water, and other water powers. Brother to Pisces.
  • Pisces: Queen of the sea. Swimming, strength and controls fishes. Sister to Aquarius.
  • Aries: Projection blast of pure kinetic (physical) energy. Likes making battering rams of his kinetic energy.

Mike

scorpio could be MMA competitoreither active or retired/disgraced