The things I've learned playing a munchkin

keithcurtis

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The things I've learned playing a munchkin

When playing any system that involves rolling to generate a character, if your spouse won't lie for you, find a friend who WILL. That way, when you say, with a straight face, "Seriously, I really DID roll all 17s and 18s" your friend and/or spouse can nod and say, "That's right; I watched him".

"Yep. Bought everything at quadruple END. Yes, I also bought an END Reserve that I can never drain no matter how hard I try... in a Multipower Framework drowing in limits that will never actually apply to me... why do you ask?"

Actually, it's loot before pillage, sack before burn, according to the Famous Adventurer's Correspondence Course.

Rep for whoever tells me where I stole that from. ;)

Hm, wild stab time...

Would that be the Quest for Glory games, by Sierra Entertainment?

Actually, it's loot before pillage, sack before burn, according to the Famous Adventurer's Correspondence Course.

Rep for whoever tells me where I stole that from. ;)

Sourcery by Terry Prattchet.

If it has statistics, it can be killed.

Avoid games like Call of Cthulhu; where the Horrors are defined by their nature. Play games like HERO, where anything can be done if you throw enough points at the enemy.

Sell back your movement powers' date=' running, leaping, swimming and buy them back in a Multipower.[/b']

That's actually not unusual--if you have a character who, if in base form has little to no movement thematically, then it makes sense for their Movement be brough back in some form or another.

Read Dinosaur's page on the Uberworld site, it's in there. :D

Cross-system ...

Few DMs are prepared for a D&D character with a 45 AC at 16th level ... who THEN cast Shield.

I remember a topic about a 2nd Edition AD&D character having Stoneskin cast on himself multiple times and the problems it caused.

I don't like grouping the terms munchkin and min/maxing together honestly. I associate the term "munchkin" with immature powergamers, rules rapists and outright cheaters.

Min/maxers can easily work within the boundaries of the system without needing to break them. It's an artform!

In any event:

Always offer to help everyone else make thier characters.

Nothing makes a well min/maxed character stand out more then being accompanied by a group of non optimised pasies with no synergy that have made oodles of poor character design decisions.

"Wait, you bought over 30 different INT based Skills up to 18-? You couldn't have just bought a few Intellect Skill levles or maybe even a higher base INT characteristic? Yes it saves points and is mechanically quite similar. How many points? Skads of them. Um...sure, I guess you could put them into an assortment of even more obscure knowledge skills. No, I'm sure the GM will love finding a way to make KS: 1930's Pinup Girls useful every once in a while. I'm sure he's giddy as a school girl that somone finally took KS: Phrenology. Yes, I can see the wheels turning now as he googles the definition of the word... "

I don't like grouping the terms munchkin and min/maxing together honestly. I associate the term "munchkin" with immature powergamers, rules rapists and outright cheaters.

Min/maxers can easily work within the boundaries of the system without needing to break them. It's an artform!

In any event:

Always offer to help everyone else make thier characters.

Nothing makes a well min/maxed character stand out more then being accompanied by a group of non optimised pasies with no synergy that have made oodles of poor character design decisions.

"Wait, you bought over 30 different INT based Skills up to 18-? You couldn't have just bought a few Intellect Skill levles or maybe even a higher base INT characteristic? Yes it saves points and is mechanically quite similar. How many points? Skads of them. Um...sure, I guess you could put them into an assortment of even more obscure knowledge skills. No, I'm sure the GM will love finding a way to make KS: 1930's Pinup Girls useful every once in a while. I'm sure he's giddy as a school girl that somone finally took KS: Phrenology. Yes, I can see the wheels turning now as he googles the definition of the word... "

Good point that one.

I helped optimise a friends FH wizard from a 3 trick pony into an actual mighty mage, while keeping everything he wanted for the character.... it was all a matter of strategic min maxing.

And I want to buy PS: Retro-phrenology

I don't like grouping the terms munchkin and min/maxing together honestly. I associate the term "munchkin" with immature powergamers' date=' rules rapists and outright cheaters. [/quote']

Pretty much my take on it (and that 45 AC was PERFECTLY LEGAL! I didn't even STRETCH a rule!).

We have a winnah.

(Never read the book Basil said, so while that may be correct, I did say 'where I got it from'. ;))

OK, you were looking for "The Famous Adventurer's Correspondence Course." I thought that might be the one in Sourcery. Turns out I mis-remembered.

It was actually "Inne Just 7 Dayes I wille make You a Barbearian Hero!"

By Cohen the Barbarian. Excuse me, Cohen the Barbarean.

;)

Be good to your scarecrow.

In between plowing, harvesting, etc. find time to just go out to the field and visit. Tell him what an important job he's doing and how good you think he is at scaring crows.

That way, whether he stays stuck up on the pole, or finds his way down and wanders off to become ruler of a great city, you can claim to have a highly-placed friend - in one sense or the other.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if Lucius is ever going to run out of Munchkin jokes - "Watch for falling houses" indeed.....

PPS (post palindromedary stuff) - I kind of liked Nimmie Aimee. Oh, and have you read Wicked?

Use a DM shield as a player. If the others can't see your dice, it dosen't matter how bad your character is

[Not me, I knew someone who actually did this. Sigh]

Speaking of cheating... If you're going to cheat, it's helpful to start by pretending to botch a relatively unimportant roll; your subsequent "luck" will be more believable if you don't appear to be "lucky" all the time. :sneaky: