Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Crossing fingers for it being illusion here.

Please, let it not be another case of depressed author screwing up his story.

The reason I think its an illusion is that Roy is to smart to try to surrender to a berserking barbarian. Its no use.

If it is an illusion, who's casting it? The rest of the Order is occupied with the Linear Guild.

If it is an illusion' date=' who's casting it? The rest of the Order is occupied with the Linear Guild.[/quote']

Actually, the idea of illusion is not so far fetched. For the question who is casting it:

His Daddy? Maybe the guy they are after this whole time found them and thought it would be nice to get Roy out of there alive?

About him loosing:

He is a fighter that put all his power on one, Obvious Accessible Focus. No wonder a barbarian with no such limitations can beat him :)

Even if it IS an illusion, Roy seems to be getting the short end of the evolution stick - but it's still early. I dunno, I just don't think Thog is the big thing he has to overcome for his character growth. Or maybe I'm just not seeing it. (Always possible)

Actually, the idea of illusion is not so far fetched. For the question who is casting it:

His Daddy? Maybe the guy they are after this whole time found them and thought it would be nice to get Roy out of there alive?

About him loosing:

He is a fighter that put all his power on one, Obvious Accessible Focus. No wonder a barbarian with no such limitations can beat him :)

Well that and the NPC has plot device on his side.

Couldn't it just be that sometimes a PC loses a fight? I'm not impressed by this turn' date=' but I'm not particularly off put by it either.[/quote']

Being whupped on by brute strength and berserker fury kinda invalidates Roy's whole concept of intelligently used strength. Having him surrender to a frothing half-orc when he spit in the eye of a lich seems pretty uncharacteristic of Roy also.

Being whupped on by brute strength and berserker fury kinda invalidates Roy's whole concept of intelligently used strength. Having him surrender to a frothing half-orc when he spit in the eye of a lich seems pretty uncharacteristic of Roy also.

This sounds much better than mine :)

Fair enough, but perhaps Roy's greatest weakness is his pride/tendency to underestimate his opponents.

Also, I don't think Roy is stupid. Why not surrender, if it even has a chance of saving your life, in a meaningless arena deathmatch? Not like he's surrendering to Xykon again..... and it would be embarrassing to go back to the afterlife again so quickly.

Regardless....fight's not over yet.

Fair enough' date=' but perhaps Roy's greatest weakness is his pride/tendency to underestimate his opponents.[/quote']

Yeah his whole point in becoming a Fighter was to prove to his Dad that he could beat Xykon with martial skills and that didn't totally work out.

JG

Fair enough, but perhaps Roy's greatest weakness is his pride/tendency to underestimate his opponents.

Also, I don't think Roy is stupid. Why not surrender, if it even has a chance of saving your life, in a meaningless arena deathmatch? Not like he's surrendering to Xykon again..... and it would be embarrassing to go back to the afterlife again so quickly.

This.

The entire New Linear Guild story arc is just a distraction. What really matters, their main quest, is stopping Xykon wich means the first have to find the gate.

Yeah his whole point in becoming a Fighter was to prove to his Dad that he could beat Xykon with martial skills and that didn't totally work out.

You are aware that Xykon is Epic (21 or more) and Roy is, perhaps around Level 9 or 12?

JG

Actually... he was already training to become a fighter when his father told him about Xykon. He became a fighter to be the opposite of his father, who was a mage, emotionally detached from his family, and pretty much a jerk. His father, in a amazing burst of non support, told him to avoid Xykon and tell his younger sister (a mage apprentice) about it to let her deal with it... leading to the story.

(Roy got much closer to killing Xykon than his father ever did.)

Also, I don't think Roy is stupid. Why not surrender, if it even has a chance of saving your life, in a meaningless arena deathmatch?

Because Thog is berserk now, Roy as an intelligent tactical fighter would know that it is pointless to try to surrender, if anything it will only make Thog more eager to kill.