Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

Does Speak With Dead force the target to tell the truth to the best of its understanding? If so' date=' that could be the 'violation' Redcloak was referring to...[/quote']

I think it just directly accessesing the memory (including how to speak). There is not even a "person" or personality there to speak of. During speak to dead the body stays dead and the soul stays in the afterlife. I think the soul isn't even informed about the spell at all.

So' date=' it's kinda like a limited, temporary Animate Dead? Like an Animate Dead's Brain & Vocal Cords, with a compulsion to answer the questions asked?[/quote']

That is one way to see it. Other than a 1 week lockout for further atempts there were afiak no negative side effects.

But that all asumes my memory is not wrong (could be the 3.0 version I am thinkign about, with 3.5 beign different) and that this campaing runs on unmodified 3.5 Rules.

Why would they be obliterated?

Wasn't the point of that spell evil V cast to destroy the dragon and her kin so completely that there was no coming back? If it doesn't say outright that the souls are destroyed, it strongly implies it.

EDIT: I suppose the "animate brain" interpretation of Speak with Dead would get around the soul thingy, but it doesn't seem to fit in a fantasy world, IMO. Traditionally, when you're speaking with the dead, you're talking to someone, not accessing a database.

Wasn't the point of that spell evil V cast to destroy the dragon and her kin so completely that there was no coming back? If it doesn't say outright that the souls are destroyed, it strongly implies it.

EDIT: I suppose the "animate brain" interpretation of Speak with Dead would get around the soul thingy, but it doesn't seem to fit in a fantasy world, IMO. Traditionally, when you're speaking with the dead, you're talking to someone, not accessing a database.

This one soudns like it is the spell description I remember. And it does indeed access the database, but they found some fantasy babble to describe it. But it does not even require the Brain to be intact, only the body to be "mostly" intact:

This spell does not let you actually speak to the person (whose soul has departed). It instead draws on the imprinted knowledge stored in the corpse. The partially animated body retains the imprint of the soul that once inhabited it, and thus it can speak with all the knowledge that the creature had while alive. The corpse, however, cannot learn new information.

Indeed, it can’t even remember being questioned.

"If you want them to do something' date=' you need to prod them now and again. Otherwise, they'll just stand around talking til they fill up like eight pages with speech balloons."[/quote']

The artist has run games before hasn't he?

Lucius Alexander

Filling up 8 pages with palindromedary taglines