Things I Have Learned Playing a Hard Boiled Detective

Lucius

When a man's partner's killed, he's supposed to do something about it. It doesn't make any difference what you thought of him, he was your partner, and you're supposed to do something about it. And it happens we're in the detective business. Well, when one of your organization gets killed, it's - it's bad business to let the killer get away with it. Bad all around. Bad for every detective everywhere.

From Sam Spade, in The Maltese Falcon.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders about soft-boiled detectives.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Things I Have Learned Playing a Hard Boiled Detective

Leave the clues and the deductions to the airmchair 'tecs and the pretty boys. As a hard-boiled 'tec, your job is to slog, slog, and slog; to badger, poke and pry. You don't theorize from slender clues, you bludgeon the world into telling you (sometimes too late) the whole story. Well, enough of it to get by.

You should have at least one friend on the police force, though anticipate that he will not hesitate to arrest you/beat you senseless if it's the quickest way to "resolve" the case.

If smackin them around don't work, smack'em around some more!

If you are totally stumped, wander around untill someone smacks you around...I don't know Why it works...but it does...

When somebody shows up to threaten you, beat you up, or otherwise try to scare you off, you KNOW you're on the right track. Make sure they end up wishing they'd left you well enough alone.

Lucius Alexander

Animal Handler: Palindromedaries

• 2 weeks later...