Indispensable Books

I wonder if we need a thread of which supliments are most used by people. I would be curious to see what everyone else considers 'indispensible'.

I'm curious too... So I'm starting this thread.

The question has two parts really,

Which core books (the Ultimate Series or other basic Hero Book) do you use the most.

And which of the genre books do you use the most (this one is obviously skewed towards favorite genres and games played)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Indispensable Books

Easy...

Required Books: FrED and The Ultimate Martial Artist. Everything else is optional but expediant to one degree or another.

Books I like to have around regardles of Genre

The Ultimate Mentalist (4th Ed)

Dark Champions

and one or two of the following - USPD, USPD II, FHG, and FHG II

As a Champions GM I'd consider Villainy Amok, Conquerors, Killers & Crooks, and Champions Worldwide indispensable. VA because of the 1,000s of potential plot and campaign/adventure ideas and CKC and CWW because of all the premade characters which make the GM's job much easier. The Ultimate Martial Artist is probably the next most useful book, IMO. If I were new to Champions I'd also add USPD I and II to the list.

I think each genre follows the same criteria: A book of ideas [Fantasy Hero], books of things to fight [bestiary, MMM, AB1 & AB2], books to make your life easier [uG1 & UGII].

I always have the base book and UMA out. After that, it largely depends on what universe I'm running in. I've got a great collection of villain books from 4th which I like to adapt characters from, but sometimes we play in a combined Marvel/DC universe(in which case I don't need the villain books).

Quite frankly, 5ER is pretty much the only book I find indespensible. When I'm doing the planning for a session or during play, it's pretty much the only one I will always have with me. Others I find frequently useful: Equipment Guide, Fantasy Hero (when doing Fantasy), CKC (for Champs), Combat Handbook.

For the longest time, all I had was FRED and the U. Martial Artist.

Does someone want to tell me again what, exactly, is in the "Combat Handbook" and what makes it "indispensible?"

I should be getting....let's see, the Bestiary, and either Dark Champions or Fantasy Hero, this weekend.

Hey, can I claim http://www.herogames.com/forums as indispensible? ;)

Lucius Alexander

And an indispensible palindromedary

My vote would be Hero Designer.

But if were talking about books strictly id say

UMA and Hero System Beastiary

the provide neutral content that can be used in all kinds of settings.

UMA provides martial arts and the rules for using them in neat ways.

Hero System Beastiary give you tons of animals and there arent many genres or setting where you cant throw in an animal or 2.

Well, obviously, I use the rulebook first and foremost.

After that, there is not any single book that I use with any kind of serious frequency. Sometimes I hit UMA and sometimes the Bestiary and at times CKC or something but after that specific use it goes back on the shelf. My books are mostly a reference library and are used specifically for that purpose, reference.

I play in a game and GM another game in HERO {superheroic levels} currently.

All I own from the current Edition is 5ER. I would have liked the combat maneuver building guidelines in there, but besides that I think it has everything I need.

The books I enjoy looking at most are UMA and USPD I and II, they are filled with great ideas, sparks for me to create flame with.

For the longest time, all I had was FRED and the U. Martial Artist.

Does someone want to tell me again what, exactly, is in the "Combat Handbook" and what makes it "indispensible?"

The Combat Handbook has all the combat rules, maneuvers and options from pretty much everything to date. All the underwater rules from Hidden Lands, all the Martial Maneuvers, Optional Rules, the rules in Fantasy Hero, all the Combat Stuff right in one small volume.

the only thing it does not have are the Martial Maneuver Creation Rules which, to date, are found only in UMA.

Roughly in order (exact order may vary by mood)

5ER (FREd or the BBB will also work here, I suppose)

Ultimate Martial Artist

Bestiary

Ultimate Vehicle

TUV Sourcebook

Ultimate Brick (for weights of different stuff and building-falling-down rules)

Villainy Amok (for fire...hmm hmm hmm...fire...fire Fire FIRE!)

These are the books I almost always have with me in my backpack, and probably the order that they are referenced:

5ER

USPD

Ultimate Brick

UMA

USPDII

Ultimate Metamorph

Bestiary

I will be adding the Ultimate Speedster to that stack soon... so very soon!

For genre books, it's a toss up between DC and CU.

Like several people here I own at least one copy of every 5th Edition book that has been published to date. I still have a lot of the pre-5th Edition stuff as well.

That being said, the only indespensible books are 5ER and the Ultimate Martial Artist. If you have these two books you can run anything with a little effort.

Books I'd really like to have around: Dark Champions, Fantasy Hero, Star Hero, etc. the genre books. The Fantasy Grimoire I & II are useful as are the UNTIL Superpower Database I & II.

The Combat Handbook has all the combat rules, maneuvers and options from pretty much everything to date. All the underwater rules from Hidden Lands, all the Martial Maneuvers, Optional Rules, the rules in Fantasy Hero, all the Combat Stuff right in one small volume.

the only thing it does not have are the Martial Maneuver Creation Rules which, to date, are found only in UMA.

*Lucius Alexander scratches his head in puzzlement*

Now...WHY would they leave those out??

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks "why ask why?"

*Lucius Alexander scratches his head in puzzlement*

Now...WHY would they leave those out??

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks "why ask why?"

Possibly, unlike for the other books, that is a key selling point for people to buy the UMA, so they wan't to keep it in there so as to not canibalize sales.

TB

Possibly, unlike for the other books, that is a key selling point for people to buy the UMA, so they wan't to keep it in there so as to not canibalize sales.

TB

Yep, Captain Obvious has the right answer. ;)

I'd have to say 5ER, Terran Empires, then Spacer's Toolkit, then on occasion the Beastiary. Of course, I'm running a Terran Empires campaign. If I switch to Fantasy Hero, then 5ER, FH, and MMM.

5er of course.

Ultimate Martial Artist.

Combat Handbook.

After that it just sort of depends.

Ultimate Metamorph has gotten a good workout with us, as has the Ultimate Vehicle (for SF games).

Villany Amok and CKC are the two most important for a Champs game.