Traveller Hero, a major announcement

shadowcat1313

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Traveller Hero, a major announcement

T

3. Characters can die during generation... this was fixed in Megatraveller although it usually meant a medical discharge or being cashiered for something unbecoming

I think that was fixed in GURPS Traveller too.

Mike

board newbie

:whistle:

There is a well known computer peripheral called a printer that can practically guarantee that any material you wish will be "ink on paper".

:snicker:

Printer + $30 worth of ink = hard copy that still needs to be bound

they make fine can openers

and they are statted out already...

Polaris is here on the boards, if hes ok with it, I can post a couple of samples here, suffice to say they will hurt a lot, but the range is mediocre and damage drops off quickly beyond half range

Printer + $30 worth of ink = hard copy that still needs to be bound

That must be one big book! :) 30 dollars worth of ink for us would print 675 pages on average...:)

The sourcebook will certainly be available in both print and pdf (it is being expanded and refined right now). When that is out, the THG ("Traveller Hero Group") will work out a schedule of additional releases and what form that they should be in.

William

ComStar

That must be one big book! :) 30 dollars worth of ink for us would print 675 pages on average...:)

Depends on what brand and model of printer you have.

For instance, that would be a single black ink cartridge for most Lexmark printers, but it would get you two black cartridges for many HP printers.

Depends on what brand and model of printer you have.

For instance, that would be a single black ink cartridge for most Lexmark printers, but it would get you two black cartridges for many HP printers.

Whoa, I didn't realize our pages per cartridge was so much better than the competition. I've worked on the GUIs (on the actual printers) so I'm a bit out of touch with what the printers really do.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Please let us know if you decide to do some POD of the Traveller PDF. I'd probably buy a copy.

Whoa, I didn't realize our pages per cartridge was so much better than the competition. I've worked on the GUIs (on the actual printers) so I'm a bit out of touch with what the printers really do.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Please let us know if you decide to do some POD of the Traveller PDF. I'd probably buy a copy.

It all depends on the printer. My HP 2610 uses a large black cartridge (compared to other printers). I just switched in my third black cartridge, with a page reading of around 1240 or so (about 600 pages per 96 cart). Now, I'm almost half-way through my third color cartridge (the 97), and will probably end up switching it out in a month or two. This seems fairly typical for the higher end printers. Lower end HP printers tend to burn through their carts about every 200 pages or so.

Lexmark also varies considerably. The high end units do produce good page counts with good print quality, but usually charge a bit more than what I pay for my HP carts. Low end printers can be awful; one model of Lexmark that was featured as a giveaway with computers after rebate used a single, small tricolor cart, that has to mix all three colors to make "black". Print quality was also spotty on these low ends, as many produced a banded picture on the test page with frequent dropouts. For a bit of the time, my company would offer one of the Lexmark fax printers as an unadvertised replacement, to which we would frequently steer our customers. It had the larger, separate black and color cart, and a generally better build.

Of course, for high volume, there's always laser.

Meanwhile, back on track, I've printed out the Traveller 1248: Out of the Darkness supplement, with 2 pages per printed page, with very good results. Makes interesting reading for anyone curious about the loose ends left after TNE. Well worth the money.

JoeG

~ahem~

No offense, E-guy, but I wasn't referring to the page count. I was referring to the cost.

One black cartridge for a Lexmark printer runs about 25-30 dollars. Most HP black carts run about 15-17 dollars.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hmm. I've heard of Traveller, but never played it or even handled a rulebook.

I've done this before and it's worked out positively, so ... someone, sell me on this Traveller thing. (Though I know someone who gushes over the old Traveller game and he'll probably get a copy, he's not all that good at salesmanship). :)

are you wanting pros and cons?

what do you want to do with Traveller?

lets talk about what traveller does well first, then I will be honest and cover some areas where traveller comes up a little short

Pros:

1. System/Planet generation rules, these really depend on how complex you want to get, using the original book 3 system, I can generate one planet in a couple of minutes if needed, with 2D6, or using Megatraveller, I can get very complex and spend half an hour to an hour with large amounts of detail, there are also free utilities that cut the time to pretty minimal

My favorite utiliy for this

Heaven and Earth

http://www.downport.com/wbd/HEAVEN_&_EARTH.htm

2. Starship and Vehicle Building:

this can range from the very High Guard and Striker, to the exceedingly complex designs from Fire fusion and Steel, the basic combat system in

High Guard is quick and brutal, and it works pretty well, it can hang up

in big fleet actions, but thats when Power Projection Fleet works great, PPF

is a modified version of Full Thrust

3. a huge backround setting, the traveller universe itself is immense, the Imperium alone is over 11,000 worlds, with several major races.

for a look at just how big the canon universe is by itself, heres a great site to

see

The Interactive Atlas of the Imperium:

http://www.utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

4.Careers: you can do just about anything you want in Traveller, depending on the GM, I've run everything from badass mercs to a roadie in a rock band to a 9 year old child who stowed away on a starship

5. Support Material: theres a ton of material that has been published for traveller over the last 25 years from a host of companies, along with a tremedous number of websites on all sorts of topics.

Cons:

1. Character Creation, most characters will tend to start at middle age, since the skills system is weighted towards the longer you serve the better you are at what you do, also in the very early rules you could have a character die during creation, which was later fixed.

2. Computers, the computer rules seem to be stuck in the late seventies early eighties, even in the newest editions. big bulky mainframes that arent all that powerful.

3. No FTL commuication, and limited FTL Travel, the fastest a ship can travel is 6 parsecs a week.

4. not a lot of truly alien races, most are humanoid, except for the Centaurish K'Kree and the Sluglike Hiver. the few really alien races are minor races.

5. Limited Tech: you wont find nanotechnology and cybernetics are fairly limited, and arent even talked about til the late Megatraveller and TNE eras

so yes, Traveller has its good points and its bad points, as with any system, and I grew up with Traveller, so I have a biased opinion, but I am also honest about the problems it has

with the merging of Traveller and Hero, I think we can address some of the problems too.

3. No FTL commuication' date=' and limited FTL Travel, the fastest a ship can travel is 6 parsecs a week. [/quote']

That this is a con is really quite subjective. In my mind, both of these really contribute to the style of the Traveller universe. I'm not a huge fan of Traveller, but insofar as I do like the setting, this is one of the specific reasons.

If you're printing it out at home' date=' it can be quite costly. But, please buy Lexmark ink anyway, I want to keep my job. ;)[/quote']

No offense' date=' E-guy, but I wasn't referring to the page count. I was referring to the cost. One black cartridge for a Lexmark printer runs about 25-30 dollars. Most HP black carts run about 15-17 dollars. Sorry for the confusion.[/quote']

LOL! Lexmark has some pretty vile ink pricing. I once picked up a Lexmark printer as part of a PC package for free. I ran out of color ink, since my wife and I were just getting used to the whole color thing (I'm a B&W laser fan from waybackinnaday. When I went to look for ink, I was stunned at the price. It was actually cheaper for me (after rebates) to buy a new printer and get the included free ink than to buy the Lexmark ink.

That made me realize that I never, and I do mean never, want to use an inkjet of any sort as a primary printer.

3. No FTL commuication' date=' and limited FTL Travel, the fastest a ship can travel is 6 parsecs a week. .[/quote']

That this is a con is really quite subjective. In my mind, both of these really contribute to the style of the Traveller universe. I'm not a huge fan of Traveller, but insofar as I do like the setting, this is one of the specific reasons.

Excatly what I was going to say. I actually prefer no FTL commo and slow (relatively) FTL travel in SF gaming. I think it makes the universe feel a whole lot bigger when you can't just zip from one side of the galaxy to the other in a few hours. I always liked Traveller's tech level. (Except for the computer thing - yeah, you'd think they could've fixed that by now.)

Also the whole "Get a ship, find a crew, get a job, keep flying" theme has always appealed to me. The only thing about the setting I didn't care for were the alien races - mostly anthropomorphised animals (dog-men, horse-men, etc) and rubber-suit aliens. Oh, and I wasn't a big fan of psionics in Traveller; but then I don't much care for psionics in SF in general, as discussed in other threads.

That this is a con is really quite subjective. In my mind' date=' both of these really contribute to the style of the Traveller universe. I'm not a huge fan of Traveller, but insofar as I do like the setting, this is one of the specific reasons.[/quote']

Traveller is my favorite SF gaming universe setting

2nd is the Battletech universe

3rd the Space Opera universe, especially the Merchantile League

I ran a shortlive traveller campaign set in the merchantile league, it came apart due to schedule issues

A couple of things:

Size of the book - I'd say somewhere between 200 and 300 pages, depending on which extras get to stay this time and what art is available.

Psionics - I like psionics in SF -- evolution of mind and body, but some things about Traveller psionics I don't like.

The book should have something for all fans, GM and player, Classic and The New Era alike. Randomness as secondary options.

I've played in Classic Traveller, MegaTraveller converted to HERO by an old friend, as well as various incarnations of Star Trek (obviously ;) ). Each has its own pros and cons.

Okay, time for supper, family, and then back to the writing. ;)

Aside from a few years playing the original Traveller, I haven't done anything with the game in a long time. When this comes out, I'll be happy to change that state of affairs. Just make sure some hardcopy makes it to Columbus, Ohio ;)

• 3 weeks later...