Taipan...wow!

Alibear

Re: Taipan...wow!

I disagree.

His throwing MP and Fighting arts MP should have been rolled into one pool. This would have only cost 54 pts, compared to the 65 he spent on havign both. Since one set of powers is ranged and the other is melee, he can't even use them to make MPA's, so I'm not seeing any real disadvantage to putting it all in one 44pt "Assassin Arts" pool.

And he really needs more END, more REC or more powers bought to 0 END, otherwise he really can't make use of that 12 SPD to the fullest.

Otherwise, I like him.

I disagree.

His throwing MP and Fighting arts MP should have been rolled into one pool. This would have only cost 54 pts, compared to the 65 he spent on havign both. Since one set of powers is ranged and the other is melee, he can't even use them to make MPA's, so I'm not seeing any real disadvantage to putting it all in one 44pt "Assassin Arts" pool.

And he really needs more END, more REC or more powers bought to 0 END, otherwise he really can't make use of that 12 SPD to the fullest.

Otherwise, I like him.

In my opinion, character design is less about point efficiency and more about making the character play the way he's conceptualized. Often (and usually) a build is better when it's not 'munchkin-ized.'

I happen to play a character that has super throwing as part of his martial arts MP' date=' so it just made sense to combine them. Saving points is just an added bonus. I don't see how that is munchkin OR ruins his concept, but whatever :mad:[/quote']

Ah the fine line between a well-built character and an abusively built character. I haven't seen Taipan so I can't comment on him specifically, but for me elegant character design is as satisfying as the character conception itself. Since Multipowers don't demand a theme the way an Elemental Control would, I could easily see putting all your attack powers in one MP with half of them defined as M. Arts and the other half as thrown attacks. But then art is subjective, so maybe my elegant design would be considered abusive by some people just as someone's superb conceptionalization would be considered inefficient by me. Which is "correct" is really a GM call, isn't it?

isn't there supposed to be a quote here?

I happen to play a character that has super throwing as part of his martial arts MP' date=' so it just made sense to combine them. Saving points is just an added bonus. I don't see how that is munchkin OR ruins his concept, but whatever :mad:[/quote']

I'm sure you wouldn't. You designed the character, based on your individual taste and build style.

My point was that your criticism of the build for 'Taipan' was based solely on power and point efficiency. To me, if a power construct reflects the concept, it's a good build. That means that with almost all characters, there is a certain amount of inefficiency that's deliberate, in order to make the character's abilities and his limitations express themselves in the game the way they're envisioned.

No offense was intended. Just reacting to your opinion. In the way I use the term, your criticism was the very definition of 'munchkin.' 'Munchkin' ain't a value judgment or an insult. It's just a concise, descriptive bit of jargon. It's not like I haven't done it myself. :)

exactly, he's supposed to be scary and potentially the most dangerous assassin out there. Well he is. His weaknesses are there so he can be beaten. If he had the rec and End to push every phase or what have you he'd be a monstrosity, as it is he can blow a few phases taking a breath...

exactly' date=' he's supposed to be scary and potentially the most dangerous assassin out there. Well he is. His weaknesses are there so he can be beaten. If he had the rec and End to push every phase or what have you he'd be a monstrosity, as it is he can blow a few phases taking a breath...[/quote']

Oh...don't get me wrong. He's a strong opponent. But he's far from unbeatable. I like him and he's currently involved in my campaign. (He just escaped from prison.)

Rob

My hat is off to whomever designed Taipan from Champions Worldwide. Either Steve or Ben' date=' looks like Steve's work to me but I could be wrong. Well good work to both of you. :thumbup:[/quote']

Dude, my name's on the cover and everything. (Though actually Taipan IIRC is more Steve's than mine. And he came up with the guy originally back in CU.) But "Ben?" dw

Dude' date=' my name's on the cover and everything. (Though actually Taipan IIRC is more Steve's than mine. And he came up with the guy originally back in CU.) But "Ben?" dw[/quote']

Ben, is that you? When did you change your handle to "Darren Watts"? Is that some electrical-power character you're playing in a game? :confused:

In the case of Taipan, it's possible that his thrown weapon powers are a function of his super-speed, not his skill. In that situation it would make sense to use different multipowers, since they have different special effects.

The Powers/Tactics section specifically says "...hurl objects as hyper-velocity missiles."

I'm thinking of running a test combat between Taipan and the Weasel from High Tech Enemies' date=' the 4E CU's toughest super-assassin. I'll be interested to see if Taipan can avoid Weasel's eviscerating claws long enough to wear him down.[/quote']

The Weasel regardless what Edition he's in will Kill the PCs without breaking a sweat. I know, my old characters fought him and died. We're talking about a creep with 35 Dex and 12 Spd!!!

Dude' date=' my name's on the cover and everything. (Though actually Taipan IIRC is more Steve's than mine. And he came up with the guy originally back in CU.) But "Ben?" dw[/quote']

Oops. Sorry, Mister Watts, I had a brain fart. No offence intended. Didn't mean to piss off the Management :whistle:

I actually don't think Taipan is that great. Beyond the other issues mentioned, he has a glass jaw. One decent hit and he's done.

Rob

Laying a glove on him might be a problem, 25 dcv when dodging hth attacks and plenty of phases to play around with.

As said above, everybody needs a weakness. Taipan has several that I can think of off the top of my head. Good thing too IMO.

In the case of Taipan, it's possible that his thrown weapon powers are a function of his super-speed, not his skill. In that situation it would make sense to use different multipowers, since they have different special effects.

The Powers/Tactics section specifically says "...hurl objects as hyper-velocity missiles."

I saw that as a side effect of his other powers, not the direct SFX of the MP. After all, the MP is called "Hyper-Accurate Throwing". The first thing I thought of was him doing your typical Bullseye type stuff, only backed up with super human strength and speed. Ironicly, his OCV with this hyper accurate throwing is only 10-, as opposed to his HTH OCV which can be as high as 16...