Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Is there any way I could get permission to use the Britannia pic on the Global Guardians website as a character pic? Or would I need to commission another piece? :)

It is fine by me, as long as I get credit, and a link to my website. I never mind more exposure. However, since it is Death Tribble's character portrait, I think it would be nice to ask him.

Don't suppose you use Painter for your digital colouring? If I recall correctly, it can record your paintstrokes and play them back as an animation...

I do have Painter, but it is such a memory hog, that I usually use Photoshop. I haven't used Painter for a couple of years and am a bit rusty on it. And I really don't think anyone needs to see an animation of my work, paint daub by paint daub. I make a lot of marks in a hour or two of coloring.

Is there any way I could get permission to use the Britannia pic on the Global Guardians website as a character pic? Or would I need to commission another piece? :)

And there you have it!

If fifty people want to share a picture, could they collaborate on a design and then each could send in a dollar? Whoot! (The accounting end would be a nightmare, I think, yet one of the buyers could gather the funds and send it in all at once...) Who then, would have ownership rights on the piece? All, or none? Well, Storn would still be able to use it, too, according to the commission info and that's not bad.

By the way, Storn, I love your art. It's a great inspiration to me! Do you work on larger pieces and then scale them down when you scan them or send them off? You mentioned that each finished piece is usually 5" x 7"... how may pixels for the image? Yeah, I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I'm not computer savey, ya know? I've got Photoshop 7.0 and I still haven't figured out how to use it properly.

In fact, I spent 3 1/2 hours last night coloring this pic of Thorn and then I lost it (talk about me being miffed)! I posted the black and white in the Superhero Images thread. I need to remember to save the image I am working on. *Sigh*

Anyway, great, great work, but I am sure you know that. Still, it never hurts to hear it again. :D

Mags

-Part time, amateur artist...

I do have Painter' date=' but it is such a memory hog, that I usually use Photoshop. I haven't used Painter for a couple of years and am a bit rusty on it. And I really don't think anyone needs to see an animation of my work, paint daub by paint daub. I make a lot of marks in a hour or two of coloring.[/quote']

Actually, it's like a timelapse thingy. Can be very cool. But if Painter's being a pig about memory... :)

It is fine by me' date=' as long as I get credit, and a link to my website. I never mind more exposure. However, since it is Death Tribble's character portrait, I think it would be nice to ask him.[/quote']

Thanks, Storn. I'll pass it on to Kara. :)

Mags, saw your Thorn on the other thread... sorry to hear about the loss of all the coloring (it's happened to me and under tight deadline to boot. One time, right before a party at my house... I cried, it was so upsetting)

If 50 people got one person to collect and I only had to deal with one person, I wouldn't care. What I wouldn't want to do is deal with multiple payments.

My dpi method: I usually work around 600-450 dpi and most of my artwork is usually about 25% bigger than 5x7. I reduce it down to 5x7-ish to keep upload/download times to a reasonable amount. I send 300 or 350 dpi files to those who commission me...which should print reasonably well off of their printers or if they take it to kinkos. My "loRes" files are 85 dpi and that is what you see here in this thread. I try to keep those under 100k.

Korvar, thanks for putting up my website and commission details. I appreciate it.

Here is another commission from me. It was requested by the client that it be hand done. No digital. This was done in goauche and acrylic.

Love the new pieces Storn :) Thought I'd give you an update on that class presentation that I did as well ... your art was the last that I showed and, as about half the Illustration class are digital artists, it went over extremely well :) The professor of the class was especially interested in your work, especially the painted pieces (plus I think I sold him on the Genesis paints) :)

Love the new pieces Storn :) Thought I'd give you an update on that class presentation that I did as well ... your art was the last that I showed and' date=' as about half the Illustration class are digital artists, it went over extremely well :) The professor of the class was especially interested in your work, especially the painted pieces (plus I think I sold him on the Genesis paints) :)[/quote']

That is awesome!!! Makes my day, hearing stuff like that. Thanks S.P.!!!

Here is LLuthor's shadowy Archangel.

LLuthor is actually me... LoL.. you gave away my secret ID! That's just my e-mail address.

Great work, Storn! Thank you very much. He's right on to the vague description I gave you.

For those who are not me or Storn, Archangel is a sort of Batman character with sorcery instead of gadgets. He's the fifth hero to wear the Archangel moniker since the 1920's. He patrols the streets of Arcane City. This Archangel has, of course, updated the outfit for the 2000's.

Thanks Storn! Can't wait to see Doctor Gravitic.

I couldn't get any of your links to work.

On my site? They aren't working yet ... unfortunately my new site's been stymied by my impending graduation :) But you can see my old site @ http://www.geocities.com/hellfyre_studio ... feel free to PM me with any feedback :) I wouldn't feel right about hijacking Storn's thread ... which, btw Storn ... got a Graphic Tablet ... I'll never look at Photoshop the same again :)

That was nice.

Incidentally Storn, re the sketch to finished product idea that I was batting around with you. When in the rest of the year is going to be best to schedule this and what time of year should we avoid ?

Well, I have about three or four commissions at the moment, yours in the middle of that pack. I assume after that would be a good time. I've got a bit of publisher's work to do in the month of May, as usual (Galactic Legions interiors for this forum's sponsor)...but hopefully, I could slip part of it in.

That's just cool' date=' Storn. Which reminds me...I need to get a description to you for my next commission. How's your queue lookin' these days?[/quote']

I thought I had three commissions left, but I got another one today. So I suggest, just jump on the bandwagon when you want to. I'll put you into the work que.

I always have plenty of publishers work, but I do like the cash flow that commissions bring (to be totally honest) and I love doing them for funsies sake. Besides, many of them, especially the fantasy ones, end up in my game...or the superheroes ones end up in RDU Neil's game. So, like I said, I love doing them all around.

Just have to be patient with me. I didn't do any private commissions for about 3 weeks due to publisher deadlines. And now i've banged out about 4 in the last few days. I just have to go in streaks like that.

Just have to be patient with me. I didn't do any private commissions for about 3 weeks due to publisher deadlines. And now i've banged out about 4 in the last few days. I just have to go in streaks like that.

No, that's cool. I really liked the one did for me earlier this year, but I got sidetracked and just never sent any more in. I'm going to try and get more to you in the near future.

I'll see if I can get you some descriptions soon.

Thanks, Storn.

Here is another commission from Richard (lLuthor, sorry about the outing!)

This is Dr. Gravitic and I let Richard tell you about him.

Doctor Gravitic is the premier villain in my world. He's a technological wizard but concentrates his work on gravitic fields. He's fashioned himself power armor that allows him to make use of his creativity. He's been in business as a villain since the late 70's and this armor is his most recent build.

Storn, you've done a fantastic job here. When I opened the e-mail my first thought was "very odd." Then I looked at it some and realized it was really exactly what would fit Dr. G best. Its almost alien in appearance, but that's great because of his superior grasp on technology. The colors are great. Thanks again!

For both Dr. G and Archangel, I gave Storn a description of their abilities and a vague description of how I saw them. Then I let Storn know it was alright to pull the kid gloves off his creativity. I am very satidfied with both results.

Ok, y'all thought Yonder was pretty hokey. Check out this dude. Some mix between Namor's tiger shark, Legion's glowworm guys (ferget name) and your standard brick body....

... sheesh.

If he was a bit more aquatic looking, he could be called HammerHead! ;-)

Storn, what is the usual procedure for getting a piece of (superhero) character art done? I'm seriously considering comissioning one, but have never done this before.

• 3 weeks later...

Target Z stands for Target Zombie. This is a private commission for longtime patron, Bob F. Who commissioned it for his Brother's birthday. Who loves target shooting and zombies. So... why not combine the two?

The final is 24" tall, the size of the demo target that Bob sent me.

Also, if you are interested in a commission go from description to rough sketch to final, check out this thread. I have rough pencil, pencil, inks, and final color stages with a bit of thought process spelled out.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=332840

Here is another commission from Richard (lLuthor, sorry about the outing!)

This is Dr. Gravitic and I let Richard tell you about him.

Your reflective metal surfaces look fantastic. If I ever conjure up the money for a commision, I'll have to make sure there's some metal in there somehow.

Which is pretty tough since I don't do armored characters...

Target Z stands for Target Zombie. This is a private commission for longtime patron' date=' Bob F. Who commissioned it for his Brother's birthday. Who loves target shooting and zombies. So... why not combine the two?[/quote']

Great! I was looking for some cool targets myself. :bounce: