Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Second was a blast. This is Red Ensign. Nope' date=' not communist, Canada's own crimson commando. The Canadian flag (seen on his chest there) at the time was called the "red ensign". The maple leaf came later, although it was already in the symbolic portfolio to represent Canada. All of this was related to me by the patron, BC Holmes. Who said ya can't learn stuff from doing superheroes![/quote']

Once again, Storn, I'm really happy with the way this turned out. And I'm glad you had such fun doing it.

I've been thinking of the character idea for quite a while (mostly as back-story window-dressing for my Northern Guard campaign), and was really interested to see how he might work as a commission. Love the look. Now I might hafta write up a character sheet for him.

No, please!

No.. More... Austin Powers... jokes... can't... resist...

Dr. Destroyer: "You - complete - me."

Jak

I don't think Mini-D is so bad. In fact, you should see Dr. Destroyer's first atempt, which became known as the baby eating Maxi-D.

(Can you imagion Dr. Destroyer as 500 pounds of fat and a realy bad acent? Scarie.)

Once again, Storn, I'm really happy with the way this turned out. And I'm glad you had such fun doing it.

I've been thinking of the character idea for quite a while (mostly as back-story window-dressing for my Northern Guard campaign), and was really interested to see how he might work as a commission. Love the look. Now I might hafta write up a character sheet for him.

Not sure which of you to ask so I will ask the creator and the artist both at the same time.

I am so impressed with your Red Ensign, I am considering chaning mine from a wind guy to a super-soldier. I would like to ask permission to use this image for my game as well (including my website) If the answer is no, I totally understand. Full credit would be given though :)

I await your replies :)

My policy on web art for non profit use is pretty simple. go ahead. give me credit and a link to my homepage (website is in my sig.)

but as for Red Ensign, I think BC should make the final call.

It is cool that RE turned out to be so popular!!!

My policy on web art for non profit use is pretty simple. go ahead. give me credit and a link to my homepage (website is in my sig.)

but as for Red Ensign, I think BC should make the final call.

I await BC's decision then :)

It is cool that RE turned out to be so popular!!!
It is simply a fantastic piece of work sir, fantastic :)

And hey, I am Canadian after all ;)

Parliament's flag and the army flag of Britain is also red. The reason for this dates back to the English Civil War. Or Civil War 2 if you include the Wars of the Roses as Civil War 1.

I love learning stuff like that!

Actually, I'm thinking of using Mini D in my Galactic Champions campaign. Perhaps Doc D's 'failed' clone is so embarrasing, he puts the little guy on ice for later study then forgets about him. Centuries later, ala buck or steve rogers, Mini D thaws out. Sure, he's a little guy, and the tech he cobbles from the ruins mean he's behind the curve in the year 3000 (but not by much), but he has BIG plans!

Besides, somehow all that remains of the arrogant doctor being Mini D strikes me as karmic ;)

That's great :)

Especially if nobody knows he's a reject Dr. D. The characters all think he's the full fledged Dr. D copy and then they open the cell and a plume of steam arises and... You unveil the picture.

I am so impressed with your Red Ensign' date=' I am considering chaning mine from a wind guy to a super-soldier. I would like to ask permission to use this image for my game as well (including my website) If the answer is no, I totally understand.[/quote']

I'm fine with that (since Storn's also fine with it). Feel free to use it.

Excellent. I know how to give Stron credit' date=' what kind of credit would you like sir?[/quote']

[shrug] I'm not too fussy. "BC Holmes" is fine. (And, just for the record, it's not "sir"; no worries, though -- it's a common mistake).

Here is a recent commission I got from the main man, Storn. It's actually part of my supers campaign... the long running RDU... but it's from my sub-campaign "Kingdoms" which takes place in England. In the RDU, the British Isles were transfored (around 1996) by magic. Magic was released back into the world (it had always been here, but suppressed for sometime) despite the efforts of heroes to stop Capricorn (from the Zodiac) and from Dr. Destroyer (who hated mystic stuff, 'cause he couldn't control it).

This created a magical realm where modern day civilization was suddenly reconnected with the Otherworld of Celtic myth. The Fey returned, trolls could be found in the Tube, and technology of any electronic/computerized sort, became so unreliable that they were abandoned. (In the RDU, magic is about probabilities... making the improbable very probable, and manipulating extra-dimensional energies that alter the rules of our reality).

So England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland have reverted to approximately 1950s level tech... but have become a place where the Tower at Heathrow is now a Dragonwatch, and that local oddball at the bookstore might really be a changeling.

I've taken charaters from the 4th Ed Kingdom of Champions, ever since it came out... tweaking them to fit my world. Though neither the New Knights or the London Watch exist in the form presented in the book, many of the characters do (Dr. Goldwing was a major NPC for years, before his death).

The Ranger, as presented here, is the grown up Yeoman. Michael Dent (changed from John, as we had way too many John's in the campaign) has grown up and become his own man... a world walker, acting as Envoy between the mundane world and the Seelie court. Notice he has modern day fatigues, a pistol, combat boots, compound bow... but has a magical sword and armor and bracer... gifts given by and accepted from, with all that entails, Titania herself.

He's also the potential love interest of one of the main PCs... a young woman named Marlee Clachthrom... a yank... who is at the center of a major power play between three forces... the Royalists of the mundane court... the Seelie court... and land itself as represented by the Black Druid.

Storn did a kick butt job on capturing Michael's roguish good looks and masculine charms, I thought. Thanks a lot, Storn! Brigit's response (Marlee's player) was "ooohhhh..." when I showed the picture.

Brigit's response (Marlee's player) was "ooohhhh..." when I showed the picture.

now. That's something I like hearing.

cool beans.

The funny thing for me is that I have character set in Neil's England named Spellsword. And i could never get a handle on the character. Liked him on paper, but just didn't spring to life in game play.

So Neil is going to use SS as an NPC, wants my thoughts on the character and sends me a illo that I did for someone else. It is a group shot of a bunch of mystical heroes. One character is quite rightly picked by Neil to be an illo for Spellsword. An illo I would have never picked for the character myself... but once done... it was perfect. Who d'thunk?!?!

And it caused this chain reaction of me putting some thought into Spellsword, bouncing a couple of ideas off of Neil and *bam!*, I had the character. All concurrent happenings while doing the Yeoman/Ranger pic.

And the commissions keep comin'!

Here was an unusual request for me, from Lee Majors... (I don't know if he is bionic, don't ask, just the e-mail call sign that I got)... a starship. So w/o further ado, the 2nd Chance.

So Neil is going to use SS as an NPC' date=' wants my thoughts on the character and sends me a illo that I did for someone else. It is a group shot of a bunch of mystical heroes. One character is quite rightly picked by Neil to be an illo for Spellsword. An illo I would have never picked for the character myself... but once done... it was perfect.[/quote']

So are you going to share your perfect picture? :P

And the commissions keep comin'!

Here was an unusual request for me, from Lee Majors... (I don't know if he is bionic, don't ask, just the e-mail call sign that I got)... a starship. So w/o further ado, the 2nd Chance.

I don't mean this to sound critical, but since you generally do people, it's very cool to see a thing done so well. A good reminder for people, too.

So are you going to share your perfect picture? :P

Oh, its not perfect by any stretch... in fact, it is quite old. It looks quite dated compared to my current stuff. I'm not sure I really want it up. But it captures a vibe for the character really well. Just a long overcoat, sword, dude with long hair. Nothing real original.

I know it is online somewhere other than my site. I think the original is in my basement... I'm not going to go look for it. Neil can probably lay his hands on it easier than I can.