How would you (why the heck would you) build this power?

Funksaw

I had an idea for a character that I just can't get out of my head. If I do not build him, I will slowly go mad.

"Lowe Depot" (pronounced "Louie Depowah") - the HARDWARE STORE that WALKS LIKE A MAN.

Basically - here's the guy's power. First, he has an alternate form.

He's a hardware store.

Second, in combat or at any other time, he physically reaches in his mouth with his hands, reaches into his guts and can pull out any item that you can normally find in a hardware store. The size is immaterial, he can basically pull out anything from a 2x4 to metal sheeting to roofing tar to a forklift. This is obviously VPP area, but I don't know how you'd build that, as well as what types of powers you could put IN that VPP...

and if he is not built, i will go mad.

Re: How would you (why the hell would you) build this power?

Hmm... honestly, I'd set it up with a Multiform using Base rules for his other form (without the double-division-by-5 routine), and then focus on HTH's, EB's, and maybe a small VPP for his Really Weird Abilities (no Skill Roll, but I wouldn't give it very many points at all).

High Defenses and Strength; he's primarily a brick, I'd think (pun not intended.)

and if he is not built, i will go mad.

Don't worry about it. The compulsion to create this indicates that you have already gone mad. Nothing left to lose.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary sings "Madness is just another word for, no mind left to lose"

Don't worry about it. The compulsion to create this indicates that you have already gone mad. Nothing left to lose.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary sings "Madness is just another word for, no mind left to lose"

And the mental image of a two-headed camel singing like Janis Joplin will make sure you go the rest of the way into madness quickly and painlessly. :ugly:

Here's what I've got:

Cost	Power
90	Variable Power Pool, 60 base + 30 control cost,  (90 Active Points)
0	1) Aid  END 4 1/2d6, Usable By Other (+1/4) (56 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only to produce batteries for devices that use batteries; -2), Others Only (-1/2) Real Cost: 16
0	2) Chains, Ropes, Duct Tape, and Roofing Tar: Entangle 4 1/2d6, 3 DEF, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) Real Cost: 60
0	3) Bullhorn: Hearing Group Flash 13d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (58 Active Points) Real Cost: 58
0	4) Arc Welder: Sight Group Flash 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) Real Cost: 60
0	5) Metal Sheeting & Plywood: Force Wall (10 PD/4 ED) (Opaque Normal Sight), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) Real Cost: 60
0	6) Sledgehammer as a melee weapon: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6 (4 1/2d6 w/STR) (60 Active Points) Real Cost: 60
0	7) Walkie Talkies: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds (10 Active Points) Real Cost: 10
0	8) Spare Parts & Tools for Repair: Healing BODY 4d6, Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; Spare parts produced automatically - skill roll is to successfully repair item. ; +0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Others Only (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Common Circumstances (Power only works on objects.; -1/2) Real Cost: 30
0	9) Flashlight: Sight Group Images 1" radius (10 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour (-1/4) Real Cost: 4
0	10) Rivet Gun: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4), Inaccurate 1/2 OCV (-1/4) Real Cost: 30
0	11) Tons of Ball Bearings: Change Environment 4" radius, +1 Points of Damage, -2 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on Characteristic, -3" of any one mode of Movement, Multiple Combat Effects, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (58 Active Points) Real Cost: 58
0	12) Tons of Paint!: Change Environment from unpainted to painted 64" radius, -3 to Normal Sight PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (58 Active Points) Real Cost: 58
0	13) Smoke Detector: Detect Smoke A Single Thing 21- (Smell/Taste Group) (13 Active Points) Real Cost: 13
0	14) Tons of Paint Remover!: Change Environment from painted to unpainted 64" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points) Real Cost: 52
0	15) Tons of Nails: Change Environment 2" radius, +7 Points of Damage, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) Real Cost: 60
0	16) Hooks & Rope: Swinging 10" (10 Active Points) Real Cost: 10
0	17) Jackhammer: Tunneling 1" through 14 DEF material, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (55 Active Points) Real Cost: 55
0	18) Bug Zapper: Energy Blast 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) Real Cost: 40
0	19) Forklift: +40 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) Real Cost: 40
0	20) Cherry Picker: Stretching 6", Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only "stretches" UP; -1), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) Real Cost: 23
0	21) Hacksaw: Dispel Entangle 11d6, Semi-Armor Piercing (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (58 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) Real Cost: 39
0	22) Make Stuff!: Major Transform 2 1/2d6 (Spare Parts into Usable Stuff, Destruction), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) Real Cost: 60
0	23) Fog Machine: Darkness to Sight Group 4" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) Real Cost: 60
0	24) Pesticides & Weedkiller: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (16" Any Area; +1 3/4) (49 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only on insects/weeds; -2), No Range (-1/2) Real Cost: 14
3	Calculator: Lightning Calculator
3	Mr. Coffee: Lightsleep
10	Earplugs: Hearing Group Flash Defense (10 points)
3	Satellite Clock: Absolute Time Sense
10	Welder's Goggles: Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points)
Powers Cost: 119

Not much weirder then "Eatman" who can consume objects and later exude them (not from where you thinking) intact and ready to use. I beleive there's a write up for him on Surbrook's Stuff (Great Site if you've never been there!) that you might find helpful for the "Hardware store the Walks like a Man"

I had an idea for a character that I just can't get out of my head. If I do not build him, I will slowly go mad.

"Lowe Depot" (pronounced "Louie Depowah") - the HARDWARE STORE that WALKS LIKE A MAN.

Basically - here's the guy's power. First, he has an alternate form.

He's a hardware store.

I could hook you up with a competent psychiatrist...

:D

Lucius Alexander

Thank you Lucious Joplin.

I hear the scream "Captain CAVEMAN!" running through my head right now.

I would certainly do the summon. For a twist, you could build the hardware store as a base, and then populate it with said items... then allow the summon to be a portal between him and his base, so he could pull things from it.

This also allows him to perhaps allow people to travel to the safety of his base (Home Base?), but how he would get them there is best not thought about.

Multiform.

Your Hardware Store form is built as a base, with INT, EGO, and any skills you retain. If you want to speak, add images (sound). That form has wealth (in the form of an unlimited supply of real world hardware) and maybe a small VPP usable by others, up to 256 others simultaneusly, for those times when the entire rest of the town wants to buy lots of hardware. It's a Very Limited SFX: Stuff you could buy in a real hardware store (-1) and everything is an OAF (-1) and real (-1/4). Set the active points at 45, or 60 if you sell guns.

The Human Self pays for the Multiform, and has the same VPP.

So:

107 I'm a Hardware Store: Variable Power Pool, 60 base + 47 control cost, Cosmic (+2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 512 people at once; +2 ½) (225 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available Very Limited (Only Real Hardware; -1), Others using pool must change it by reaching into my mouth or going inside me Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-¼); all slots OAF (-1), Real (-¼)

Not even that expensive. He could be a 350 point character. ;)

Re: How would you (why the heck would you) build this power?

That is frightingly similar to a concept one of my new players brought to my champions game - Duct Tape Knight, who has a vpp which he can use for "anything that looks like it might be made from stuff that comes from a hardware store" The gadgets produced only work because they are an expression of his "mutant power" and his belief that they should work (he doesn't know that he has a "mutant power" - the stuff works fine for him but no one else) - like the fire extinguisher / leaf blower jet pack (flight) that works on normal gasoline or the laser level that had a handle and extra batteries stuck onto it so it becoms a laser armor piercing eblast. The VPP is, of course, only changeable in a hardware store.

Yes' date=' that's all a very nice visual, but what does he [i']do[/i] with the items once he brings them out? That's what you model -- the end effect.

He fixes your roof? Builds an extension?

New HERO Genre: Renovation HERO

:)

Nah, it's no different than Captain Freespeech and his dimensional belly button that holds his gagets (and plenty of Mostess Crust-less Fruit Pies.) I'm not gonna even show you his picture, but he's a superheroic running gag elsewhere for us.

The difference lies in the source of the gagets in question--I think it's best to build it as a kind of summons and use the base points to build the rest.