Good Zombie flicks

Toadmaster

Seems like there has been a resurgence of zombie movies the past couple of years. I just saw Land of the Dead and found it quite entertaining.

While there are plenty of cheesy zombie flicks out there I found the following to actually be pretty decent movies.

28 days later (I know, some don't count this as a zombie movie)

Dawn of the dead (remake), I thought this was a great movie, lots of zombie foo (TM, used by permission of Joe Bob Briggs :D ) it really put me in the mood for some zombie gaming, if I could only find some AFMBE players around here.

Land of the dead, interesting spin on the typical zombie movie, kind of a PA meets zombie flick. I'd like to have Dead reckoning for my morning commute some days. :eg:

Night of the living dead (remake), nice job updating the original.

Shawn of the dead, its a comedy but still manages to be a good zombie flick. Reminds me a little of Evil dead 2, funny but it doesn't ruin the horror aspect, somehow the humor kind of makes it more real.

and of course the original Night of the Living dead / dawn of the dead although its been eons since I've seen either of them.

Any I've missed that I might want to check out?

Re: Good Zombie flicks

Red Neck Zombies is an interesting campy comedy on the subject. I can't recall if I liked it enough but the fact it still sticks out in my mind says quite a bit on the subject.

Well, according to my circle of associates, you hated it.

In fact, they are convinced that I am the only person on earth that loved it.....

Red Neck Zombies is an interesting campy comedy on the subject. I can't recall if I liked it enough but the fact it still sticks out in my mind says quite a bit on the subject.

Own it ... made me laugh ;)

To add to the list, I offer:

Evil Dead Series - Good stuff! Love the camp, but also love the cinematography

Resident Evil/Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Fun movies that give you a broad addition to the video games. Looking forward to part 3 :)

If only I weren't so bad at remembering titles... *sigh*

yes, check out Evil Dead... and Evil Dead 2, which is kind of a remake of the 1st with better effects and some comedic tones. Evil Dead 3, otherwise mostly known as Army of Darkness is funny as heck.

Return of the Living Dead series isn't bad, there are several, though its kind of hokey and very old school, but there are some newer ones that are... mildly entertaining with the right mindset... for at least 5 of that series.

Romero rocks... Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and I think Day of the Dead. All fun. Land of the Dead was okay, but mostly just because I love these kinds of movies.

Dead Alive is on my netflix list for some reason, it was recommended for whatever reason.

Zombie, which is foreign, is supposed to be good. On my list, again. There are at least 3 of those.

I know there's one involving a lawn-mower scene, and I've seen several others that I can't remember... if it has zombies, I'll typically watch it, no matter how bad it is, just because. =)

I remember watching the Screaming Dead, though i think it was terrible and I remember nothing that happened in it.

Check out foreign film listings, they usually have a bunch of wacky stuff... like Uzumaki, which isn't a zombie flick really, but its WEIRD to the point of fascinating and definately creepy. A lot of creepy japanese flicks, come to think of it.

DARNIT, I can't believe I can't remember any of these films... argh... there's a series of zombie movies where the zombies don't ever really die unless you completely trash them but I can't remember what they're called. One of them had a cover wth a girl all messed up who looks kind of punk, but is really a zombie with all sorts of things pierced through her...

Okay, found some of them...

Cemetary Man, cuz its just wierd and kind of funny. Tries to be artsy.

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie has been recommended to me...

Warning Sign was interesting, if a bit... meh.

And wow... the film with the girl all pierced if Return of the Living Dead 3.

There are a lot of zombie flicks outthere... just search netflix and you'll see. I got tons of hits. I just added a ton of movies. =)

If only I weren't so bad at remembering titles... *sigh*

DARNIT, I can't believe I can't remember any of these films... argh... there's a series of zombie movies where the zombies don't ever really die unless you completely trash them but I can't remember what they're called. One of them had a cover wth a girl all messed up who looks kind of punk, but is really a zombie with all sorts of things pierced through her...

'scuse the edit,

I think the Punk Zombie thing was Return of the Living Dead.

I've heard ...interresting things about The Stink of Flesh. A fetish-y artsy weirdness in a zombie infested world.

The three Romero zombie movies are the best by far. You should check out Day of the Dead. I would love to know what happens between them. How it goes from pockets of zombies to pockets of humanity. It would make a great pick up game campagin.

Diashan

Dead Alive is on my netflix list for some reason, it was recommended for whatever reason.

I know there's one involving a lawn-mower scene, and I've seen several others that I can't remember... if it has zombies, I'll typically watch it, no matter how bad it is, just because. =)

Dead Alive is (AFAIK) the movie with the lawnmower.

Yep, Dead Alive is directed by Peter Jackson, and is alternately known as Braindead.

I also recommend the weird 'Undead', an ausie horror/comedy. A TON of Zombie-fu. Oh... so THAT's what his spurs are for! LOL

The very old B&W movie White Zombie is not too bad. It's apparently Public Domain now, and a little searching may find it available for viewing on the net somewhere.

Also, the Vincent Price 'Last Man on Earth' is pretty good. I don't know how far back you guys want to go with your films.

I've seen Undead, and I was kind of disappointed... somewhere, the pacing or the visuals just lost it for me, and the eventual plot was kind of lame. I had higher expectations for that size of a film. =(

Shaun of the Dead is very amusing. Liked it a lot, actually.

I agree with Dr. Mid-NITE (plus I'm a Detroit-boy too so naturally we have to stick together...).

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: five rotting thumbs up. I saw it when it was on the old 'Sir Graves Ghastly' show (Saturday Afternoons in Detroit) when I was like 10. Talk about a movie that stuck with me... sheesh. Not even Night of the Living Dead was as scary as that one at the time.

Here you go, try these and look under the movies section:

http://www.allthingszombie.com

http://www.homepageofthedead.com

Coming soon: Night of the Living Dead 3-D (it's been postponed for quite a while now)

Slither should be out on DVD soon

Saw 'Undead'... funny, but I'm in the 1% who actually liked it

'Dead and Breakfast' was campy fun, not really zombies but demons they call 'zombies'. Deitrich Bader and Porche DiRossi make 2 minute cameos. David Carridine is in it too!

I could go on... but I won't.

Every October I dedicate my Netflix queue to zombie flicks. 'Dead Alive' and 'The Gate' get honorable mentions as do 'Demons' and 'Cemetary Man'. Stay far away from 'House of the Dead' and it's Sci-Fi dreck sister 'House of the Dead 2'. I'll see ANY zombie movie once but those I only needed to see once. See 'Zombie Holocaust' and 'Zombie Island' instead. And see 'Zombi' just for the ocular trauma scene alone. There's a few newer B-rates that I currently have in my Netflix list that I am only sort of looking forward too: "Hood of the Dead" and "Dead Meat" to name a few.

Check out foreign film listings, they usually have a bunch of wacky stuff... like Uzumaki, which isn't a zombie flick really, but its WEIRD to the point of fascinating and definately creepy. A lot of creepy japanese flicks, come to think of it.

I thought that was the whole point of the Japanese live action film industry - to make freaky-ass movies. :confused:

And your description of the punker girl with things pierced through her reminded me of those "fine" films in the C.H.U.D. series.

Zombie, The Gates of Hell and (sort of) The Beyond. All by Lucio Fulci.

Are they "good" movies? Not really. Are they good zombie movies? I think so.

Heavy on atmosphere and gory violence, and very slight on comprehensible plot.

Fine by me.