How do you know if a character name is already being used?

CorPse

I'm willing to throw my little pocket change of REP at anyone who can point me toward a resource where I can look up a particular character name to see if it is already being used by an established comic company, etc.

There's nothing like sweating over a name for your game only to have a player say, "Oh, yeah, you must have gotten (fill in your cool name here) from the that old Atlas Comics where they blah blah blah."

Of course, there's nothing new under the sun, but I'd love to be able to find out with a couple of clicks if something is already "taken" in a meaningful way. I mean, if there's no one stop shopping for my pop-culture needs, what in the hell is the 'Net good for...

(I've already used Google & Wikipedia, but there's got to be something out there specifically for this!)

RIP (Restless in Pieces),

CorPse

Re: How do you know if a character name is already being used?

It's easy. If you duplicate a name, make sure the character doesn't have the same powers, background or origin.

If you create a villain whose name is Steelburger, and he has the same powers, background, and origin as Bronzeburger, published by Captain Comico, chances are, you're screwed.

If you create a villain whose name is Steelburger, and the origin, powers, background, and art are completely different, there's nothing they can do.

I CAN create a character named Spider-Man, but he can't be bitten by a radioactive spider, he can't have an aunt may, etc. Marvel can sue me, but, they WILL lose if they say it's the same character. Marvel can still sue me for interfering with fair competition laws. I CAN create a character that is sufficiently similar to Spider Man and is inept, but THAT character is protected under parody laws. :)

I cannot create a character that uses any existing similarities without infringing on copyright. This is why I have a character named Abraxas, but since he's not an actual whale, but is only a Humanoid Whale, has different powers, AND is evil instead of good, I do not get sued by Marvel vis a vis Epic Illustrated. Is it a polite tribute? Absolutely. Can I be sued because the character itself is completely different? No. I could have named him anything, but as long as the character is historically different, doesn't do the same things, and doesn't create a significant problem for them legally because it's not recognizable, you can name a character "Iron Man." Just make sure he has an ironing board and a steam press.

Don Markstein's Toonopedia is pretty comprehensive at least as far as names goes. Still, I wouldn't sweat it unless the name is just inextricably linked to an icon. For example, Superman would be tough to play no matter how different your character is. On the other hand, you might get away with a Colossus, and there should be little problem with a Sludge.

BTW, Steelburger is an awesome name... :sneaky:

Hey Gang, thanks for the tips! It's mostly a question of making a stab at (sigh) originality. Why rewire an icon, or reuse a name, if you can give yourself the interesting limitation of coming up with something new (at least in terms of the genre)? Anyway I'll be sure to keep a can of Badger's Whoop@$$ around when next I play. Keep the ideas rolling in...

There used to be the Grand Comic Book Database. I don't know if it is still there, but you can search a character with that and see if he was in anything.

CES

Again excellent resource. Can be found at http://www.comics.org/index.lasso

Database is searchable by character, title, artist, inker, etc., etc.

I'm willing to throw my little pocket change of REP at anyone who can point me toward a resource where I can look up a particular character name to see if it is already being used by an established comic company, etc.

There's nothing like sweating over a name for your game only to have a player say, "Oh, yeah, you must have gotten (fill in your cool name here) from the that old Atlas Comics where they blah blah blah."

Of course, there's nothing new under the sun, but I'd love to be able to find out with a couple of clicks if something is already "taken" in a meaningful way. I mean, if there's no one stop shopping for my pop-culture needs, what in the hell is the 'Net good for...

(I've already used Google & Wikipedia, but there's got to be something out there specifically for this!)

RIP (Restless in Pieces),

CorPse

I suggest you use my trick...not caring...

I suggest you use my trick...not caring...

Yeah, I certainly understand that point of view, but there's something kinda nice about saying, "Hey, I did my homework, and here's something you haven't seen in quite this particular way before." That creates its own sense of satisfaction.

My six primary characters were Champion, Brother Eye, Mimic, Photon, Reflex and Moonbow. All of these are existing comic characters (maybe not Reflex, but I'd be surprised if it weren't the case.) In most cases, I had never heard of another using the name before I did. None of them is remotely like the character with whom they share their name. If it's not a major icon, I wouldn't sweat it.

Keith "OK, Mimic might be similar to other Mimics, but my approach was original" Curtis

Anyway I'll be sure to keep a can of Badger's Whoop@$$ around when next I play. Keep the ideas rolling in...
:lol: I just got an ad-flash. "When I need to open up a can of Whoop@$$ on someone, I only use Badger's Whoop@$$. Badger's Whoop@$$, now with new, easy-open pop-tops.":p

:lol: I just got an ad-flash. "When I need to open up a can of Whoop@$$ on someone' date=' I only use Badger's Whoop@$$. Badger's Whoop@$$, now with new, easy-open pop-tops.":p[/quote']

NOW in the handy 24 can Fridgepack. Cause like Momma said, you can never have too much Whoop@ss.

My six primary characters were Champion, Brother Eye, Mimic, Photon, Reflex and Moonbow. All of these are existing comic characters (maybe not Reflex, but I'd be surprised if it weren't the case.) In most cases, I had never heard of another using the name before I did. None of them is remotely like the character with whom they share their name. If it's not a major icon, I wouldn't sweat it.

Keith "OK, Mimic might be similar to other Mimics, but my approach was original" Curtis

Just for the record, Reflex was a member of Sovereign 7. (Yeah, I don't blame anyone for not remembering.)

I love using Toonopedia to find the lamest characters and names and revamp them into kick-@$$ NPCs. This has the added bennefit of getting any players who necognize the character to underestimate the NPC at first. *Evil Laughter here*:eg:

A Gnome named Grimble Gromble

CANNED Whoop@$$ ! Yuck ! I prefer the fresh stuff you get at your local Grower's Market !

Personally, I find I get the best results if I brew it up fresh at home. But that approach isn't for everyone, and home-brewing Whoop@$$ without a permit is illegal in some states....

Just open a can of whoop@$$ on the jerk who says that to you. :P

And no I did not know there was a comic character named badger before I came to this website. :confused:

Don't sweat it. The character Badger is actually from Wisconsin, the Badger

State, and the University's mascot is Bucky Badger.

It's pretty hard these days to come up with a single dictionary word name that's not been used.

Here's one I'm betting hasn't been - Theriomorph. It means having an animal form.

Dude, that was my first character!!

And my second was The Callipygian :D

yes log but did the press constaly ask if you where from california and how you got your amazing flight homing and desiese resistance powers.

i have to say anyname you have to spell is probably not going to make you iconic im looking at you BLoodwynd not to mention names that cant actually be pronounced kil%gore