What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Dead Heat

Treat Williams and Joe Piscopo (remember him?) as cops tracking down the source of killer zombies.

Sci Trek: Bolts of Fire

The science show explains what we do and don't know about lightning. Did you know that lightning is thought to be sparked by cosmic rays? That lightning emits x-rays and gamma rays? I didn't.

Watched Planet of Blood again last night.

For those not familiar with old Corman films (though Planet of Blood was written & directed by Curtis Harrington ) this film is set in an alternative universe where man has been travelling to the Moon for about twenty years and is preparing to travel to Venus or Mars. However they soon receive a message from another star system that states that they are sending a spaceship to Earth. The alien ship crashes on Mars,and Earth soon musters a rescue ship The Oceano I,which is soon joined by another ship, the Meteor.The Meteor finds the aliens rescue ship on Phobos and sends the alien and one of it's crew down on its own rescue ship,leaving one astronaut to be rescued by the Oceano II. (There is some interesting terminology in this movie.The Oceano I survives a solar flare,which the characters call a sunburst,and lifeboats are called rescue ships.)

The rescue ship crash-lands on Mars, and the occupants manage to reach the Oceano. For a supposed ambassador ,the alien behaves very oddly- she never speaks (just stares at the male crewmembers, ignores the sole female astronaut), drinks water but refuses foods and is clearly horrified at the sight of a large syringe. On route to Earth,while the rest of the crew is sleeping she wakes and hypnotises the astronaut on watch,draining his blood. Upon discovering the corpse and the glutted alien,the crew get into an argument about keeping the creature alive and eventually decide to keep her alive using blood plasma.Unfortunately the supply soon runs out, and the captain gets drained too.The surviving crew eventually tie up the space vampire,but she gets loose and starts to drain the hero as well.Fortunately his lover wakes and saves him,scratching the aliens back in the process.She screams and runs off,and the hero soon finds she's bled to death from the scratches. The Oceano gets back to Earth,but finds the alien has left her eggs everywhere aboard ship.The film ends with a scientist carrying the eggs out of the rocket.

Watched Planet of Blood again last night.

For those not familiar with old Corman films (though Planet of Blood was written & directed by Curtis Harrington ) this film is set in an alternative universe where man has been travelling to the Moon for about twenty years and is preparing to travel to Venus or Mars. However they soon receive a message from another star system that states that they are sending a spaceship to Earth. The alien ship crashes on Mars,and Earth soon musters a rescue ship The Oceano I,which is soon joined by another ship, the Meteor.The Meteor finds the aliens rescue ship on Phobos and sends the alien and one of it's crew down on its own rescue ship,leaving one astronaut to be rescued by the Oceano II. (There is some interesting terminology in this movie.The Oceano I survives a solar flare,which the characters call a sunburst,and lifeboats are called rescue ships.)

The rescue ship crash-lands on Mars, and the occupants manage to reach the Oceano. For a supposed ambassador ,the alien behaves very oddly- she never speaks (just stares at the male crewmembers, ignores the sole female astronaut), drinks water but refuses foods and is clearly horrified at the sight of a large syringe. On route to Earth,while the rest of the crew is sleeping she wakes and hypnotises the astronaut on watch,draining his blood. Upon discovering the corpse and the glutted alien,the crew get into an argument about keeping the creature alive and eventually decide to keep her alive using blood plasma.Unfortunately the supply soon runs out, and the captain gets drained too.The surviving crew eventually tie up the space vampire,but she gets loose and starts to drain the hero as well.Fortunately his lover wakes and saves him,scratching the aliens back in the process.She screams and runs off,and the hero soon finds she's bled to death from the scratches. The Oceano gets back to Earth,but finds the alien has left her eggs everywhere aboard ship.The film ends with a scientist carrying the eggs out of the rocket.

The science show explains what we do and don't know about lightning. Did you know that lightning is thought to be sparked by cosmic rays? That lightning emits x-rays and gamma rays? I didn't.

So if I get hit by a lightning bolt, I'll turn into the Hulk? :D

I remember seeing that movie on TCM. It was surprisingly creepy' date=' considering just how low-key (and budget) it was.[/quote']

Okay, I gather from the clip that he invented a synthetic flesh in order to repair a horribly mutilated (burned ?) hand. I interpret the clip as indicating that once the flesh was placed on the person, it could be bonded/activated, whatever (painfully?)

So why on earth would he put it on his good hand, and then his face and head? was it supposed to be super tough, or something? did he develop an obsession similar to a cyber psychosis, like the bad guy in "I love Maria" ??

wtf was he thinking? unless it was removable later, and he did it for a disguise, possibly to get revenge on someone?

I don't THINK I ever saw this one, but I watched a lot of "Creature Feature" as a kid.

Dead Heat

Treat Williams and Joe Piscopo (remember him?) as cops tracking down the source of killer zombies.

What did happen to Joe Piscopo?

Okay, I gather from the clip that he invented a synthetic flesh in order to repair a horribly mutilated (burned ?) hand. I interpret the clip as indicating that once the flesh was placed on the person, it could be bonded/activated, whatever (painfully?)

So why on earth would he put it on his good hand, and then his face and head? was it supposed to be super tough, or something? did he develop an obsession similar to a cyber psychosis, like the bad guy in "I love Maria" ??

wtf was he thinking? unless it was removable later, and he did it for a disguise, possibly to get revenge on someone?

I don't THINK I ever saw this one, but I watched a lot of "Creature Feature" as a kid.

Doctor X Wiki

What did happen to Joe Piscopo?

I don't think he's been very famous since Johnny Dangerously. Joe Piscopo Wiki

Been catching up on westerns I skipped in the 90s. Turns out, with some good reason.

Wyatt Earp - Oh the pain.. three hours... it hurts... Watching Kevin "I'm a piece of wood" Kostner stumble through this epic failure just... 3 hours! Really!? They somehow managed to turn a movie about one of America's greatest folk heroes into the most boring thing to watch. Unbelievable. Just.. utterly... ugh. I had to rewatch Tombstone just to wash Dennis Quaid's ruination of Doc out of my brain. three long painful hours. oof.

The Quick And The Dead - Gene Hackman makes a great ruthless heartless bad guy. I had forgotten Leonardo Dicaprio was in this, he was actually pretty good - I liked his character. Sharon Stone, whom I find to be a mediocre actress at best - was also good in this role. It suited her. But the story ... oh the story they screwed up so badly... so badly. Here - let me rewrite this:

Lady (I like that she had no name, it made you think of Clint - even if he did have a name in The Trilogy) is now a stone cold killer, after the movies back story (the final flashback can illustrate her going cold) she just turned ruthless, a mirror of Herod (Gene) in so many ways. Except that he's her childhood demon, she just can't face that down at the start of the movie. Kid (Leo), actually, his story should stay - it was good and solid and will help in the end game. Cort, also very much the same story - trying to turn his back on old ways that Herod won't let him escape. As we learn Lady's history she learns of Cort's past and his need for redemption, and Kid's story and need for acceptance. Instead of running because she's afraid to kill she runs because she sees herself in Herod. When Herod shoots down Kid (there's a friendship there, but nothing deeper) she realizes she isn't like Herod, but she's stuck fighting Cort so they still need the plan with the faked death and the dynamite (though they only needed to blow up the tower and Herod's house - not half the rest of the town) and the climax continues on much as in played out in the movie. Cort gets his redemption and becomes sheriff, Lady rides off. . . No love story needed, but the Lady isn't cold blooded anymore, she learns the lessons of Cort's compassion.

I think that would have been a much more watchable movie than Sharon stone see-sawing from whiny little girl to tough narrow eyed gunman. Good acting - bad script.

Finally got to watch Dead Man's Chest. Bill Nighy as Davy Jones dominated this movie. The one bad point I saw was Jack Sparrow does all this manuevering and finally is doublecrossed and fed to an octopus. That's something I would have expected him to see coming.

CES

Finally got to watch Dead Man's Chest. Bill Nighy as Davy Jones dominated this movie. The one bad point I saw was Jack Sparrow does all this manuevering and finally is doublecrossed and fed to an octopus. That's something I would have expected him to see coming.

CES

That's why Overconfidence is a Complication. ^_^

I have at worlds end around. I need to put it in the dvd player and find out how they brought him back to life.

CES

One of the more interesting sequences in the film.

The Last Templar

Story was ok, and good, though found the end anticlimactic, though in hindsight it had to end this way. Some of the clines are memerable Omar Sherif was excellent and stole the scenes he was in, but boy did he look aged (like a fine wine I should add). The parts I enjoyed most was the sub-story about the Three Templars, which for some reason really connected with me. And it was good having the Battle at Acre depicted on the screen.

Also saw 9, the computer animated post-apoc with stitchpunks. The visuals are stunning, and I can easy see gamers creating their own stitchpunk characters as they are adorable from a gaming perspective.