Civil War in the Champions Universe!

Hermit

"So they called in, and asked if we would, and I think we should talk about it," Defender glanced around the room, "We really should have talked about it before this, we've been a team for awhile now."

"This is retarded," Nighthawk scoffed,"Doesn't PRIMUS have anything better to do than ask us about registering?"

Kinetik, their newest member, smirked, "Easy, as a matter of fact, it's been a slow week, for them AND us. Better we ask now rather than the next time we're in the middle of a fight."

"Well, I'm not doing it. I wouldn't trust the government to hold onto my secrets any further than we can throw them," Nighthawk rolled his eyes under his hood.

Defender frowned, "I don't know. We have to be accountable to someone sometime, perhaps registeration would remind us we aren't above the law."

Ironclad gave a shrug, "Speaking for myself, I do not know why most of you bother to hide your identities." Despite his own desertion, Drogen was still Perseid, and they tended towards traditionalism, "Why be ashamed of what you are?"

Witchcraft's face looked troubled, "Because what we are isn't very nice sometimes, and what we deal with is worse. Somethings man really -wasn't- meant to know. It may sound elitist but..."

"But you help the Government with mystical stuff all the time," Sapphire pointed out, "And I'm public, works for me."

Bethany smiled weakly, "True, but you'll notice the government doesn't go telling people about demonic horrors lurking among us daily either."

Cordy smirked, "So, seems the government's keeping this one on the down low, their record is good."

"Only a matter of time before someone like Cybermind or Dr. Destroyer gets the data, and then wham," Nighthawk retorted, "We might as well line up to be shot. I don't even know why so many other heroes HAVE registered."

"Because it's useful in fighting crime," Defender replied, "The government can, in exchange, give valuable information to us about supervillains that we might not otherwise know."

Kinetik scratched his chin, "I think I'll pass. No offense, Sapphire, but you have money and popularity to protect you, James, you got cash and corporate influence. Your average super on the street needs some anonymity just to survive and protect his loved ones and trusting the government to NEVER spill it or get the data stolen is a gamble."

Nighthawk nodded in grim agreement with the team speedster.

Defender's unseen brow arched behind his helmet. Nighthawk could be stubborn, but he hadn't expected Kinetik to agree with the cowled crusader, "So you're going to ignore the registration laws?"

"Yup," Nighthawk replied. It was Kinetik's turn to nod.

"Half the team for, half the team against, and some of us undecided," Defender counted, "You realize what this means?"

Witchcraft smiled, "We agree to disagree?"

"Exactly, who's up for monopoly?" Defender asked.

"Fine, but I get to be the car," Nighthawk called dibs.

"Awww, man, I wanted to be the car," Defender sighed as they got the board out.

"I'm fond of the iron myself," Drogen confided to Sapphire.

And this sort of thing is why I've grown to appreciate the Champions Universe :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Civil War in the Champions Universe!

So, they did the resonable thing rather than go to war, like in Marvel?

I don't read comics, so I have to double check these things.

You are, and I mean this with kindness, living proof that sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, this was my jab at Marvel's Civil War where anti reg and pro reg sides formed up and had at, many on each side acting wildly out of character and (imo) unheroic.

Guest Major Tom

Dude' date=' I so want to see Defender kick Nightduck's ass. :eg:[/quote']

That's just exactly the sort of thing that I'd expect an evil rabbit to say.

Major Tom :eg:

You are, and I mean this with kindness, living proof that sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, this was my jab at Marvel's Civil War where anti reg and pro reg sides formed up and had at, many on each side acting wildly out of character and (imo) unheroic.

Wasn't Tony Stark at one point threatening the lives of May Parker and Mary Jane in order to force Spiderman back into the fold? That's out and out villainy no matter how you slice it.

Also, there's the whole issue of murder, contract murder, accessory to murder, wrongful imprisonment without legal recourse, etc, etc.

We get it, Millar, it's a gitmo and legal torture riff, we see that. Now shut up, go away, and let Dan Slott and the few remaining Marvel writers who actually like comics have a shot.

Wasn't Tony Stark at one point threatening the lives of May Parker and Mary Jane in order to force Spiderman back into the fold? .

Not as such, I think although these things seem to sometimes come out differently in different comics. Seems to me he was point out that if Spidey left the protection of Stark's facilities, the two of them would be a lot less secure now that they were publicly known.

The problem with Civil War, quite frankly, is not the badly written unheroic actions.

It's the fact that the unheroic actions should be the cause of the event rather than the solution.

When you see Mind over Matter (THis will probably be late 2009 for you guys), I'm pretty sure you'll see that characters can have REAL reasons to fight each other.

But they have to make sense....

This, quite frankly, didn't.

Plus, HUGE SPOILER.....

The Jackboot Facists won. Is this really a world you want to live in?

We get it, Millar, it's a gitmo and legal torture riff, we see that. Now shut up, go away, and let Dan Slott and the few remaining Marvel writers who actually like comics have a shot.

Well when the EIC seems to be on Millar's side.....

One of the reasons I read almost no marvel.

Amusing to read, though it neatly dodges the tough issues like what do Defender and friends do when Primus shows up to arrest the non registered superheros for violating the law.:)

Amusing to read' date=' though it neatly dodges the tough issues like what do Defender and friends do when Primus shows up to arrest the non registered superheros for violating the law.:)[/quote']

That's the beautiful thing about the CU5th.. they don't. The law is considered a "paper tiger" iirc.

What annoys me about the Civil War stuff is that there are genuinely interesting issues to be raised, without having to have everyone act like Pod People. Genuine conflict with people honestly acting on what they believe.

Instead we get Nazi Tony Stark and Nutball Steve Rogers, each with their little bunch of soldiers. A real waste. I'm glad I've never spent money on any of it.

However, I'm quite tempted to buy the issue where Cap beats up the Punisher, just so I can read those pages over and over...

That was very satisfying. The only satisfying moment in the entire thing.

My problem with the results of Civil War is that it pretty much creates a hostile environment for the classics. If you really loved the idea of secret identities, for Marvel, that's OVER. All the classic superhero troops are out the window. Unless they reboot the universe, which they should probably do anyway, reading Marvel is likely to suck until the NEXT Scarlet Witch fiasco.

I don't even think they've got a good ending for all this - there are certain pieces that can't be put back into the box any more. And much as I would like to see the whole thing vanish in a puff of logic, I think going through all this for nothing will make it all worse...

Amusing to read' date=' though it neatly dodges the tough issues like what do Defender and friends do when Primus shows up to arrest the non registered superheros for violating the law.:)[/quote']

And UNTIL can't arrest you for breaking a US law like that I dont' belife. It would be PRIMUS.

I can't belive I claim to be able to read.

*hangs head*

There are some variations on Secret ID that an effective registration would just kill. For example, in the anime series Creamy Mami, Yuu is told that if anyone discovers that she and Mami are the same person, she'll lose her powers. (In the event, one of the powers she loses is Instant Change, so she's stuck in the Mami body who has no actual identification or money.)

And of course if you're up against a villain whose special ability requires knowing your "real" name, it helps if he can't just hack a government database to get it. (Death Note is a recent example, but there was a kiddie mecha show where the villain could turn anyone whose real name was known into an animal. This had already happened to the main hero's ninja warrior father, thus justifying the heroes adopting masked identities.)

The problem is, that unless there is a real villain and he has the power level of Galactus or worse, there is no chance that the genie can ever be put back into the bottle.

Captain America....Arrested?

You know, maybe I should write a book called Captain Canada...no...wait...I can't. My HERO got arrested.

Some of these Candy Asses have forgotten that there's this thing called the Doc Savage Oath, which looks like this:

Doc Savage Oath

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, that all may profit by it

Let me think of the right and lend all my assistance to those who need it, with no regard for anything but justice.

Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do.

Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.

When did SUPERHEROES stop remembering the basic principles contained in these words?

This is why Geoff Johns, Dan Didio, and people like them suck. They don't understand the TRADITIONS out of which these comics come. But WE do. Why aren't WE writing these books? No, seriously, I mean it. We should launch a buyout. Unfortunately, there's no way Hero System can do it.

This is why Geoff Johns' date=' Dan Didio, and people like them suck. They don't understand the TRADITIONS out of which these comics come. But WE do. Why aren't WE writing these books? No, seriously, I mean it. We should launch a buyout. Unfortunately, there's no way Hero System can do it.[/quote']

Geoff Johns is a helluva good writer, and one of the ones still working in comics who has a real love for and understanding of the characters. His work on JSA was amazingly good, and I've heard his work on the Titans was the shiznit too. I think you're thinking of Mark Millar. :)

No argument on Dan Didio, though. :rolleyes: