Iconic Villains

JmOz

Re: Iconic Villains

Dr. Destroyer, Mechanon, Grond, Firewing, Foxbat, Cobra, Sunburst, and Eurostar from Champions 1E/2E. I don't remember if Dark Seraph and Mechassassin are 2E or 3E but if 3E I consider them to be the iconic characters from that edition. 4E added Menton.

Mechanon, Dr. Destroyer, Firewing, Foxbat, Grond, Eurostar, Cobra/King Cobra, the Slug, and Black Paladin have been prominent since First or Second Edition, and Dark Seraph and Mechassassin may precede Third Edition since they first appeared in Enemies III.

Of course the current incarnation of Eurostar includes two members of Terror Inc., another very early part of the CU. (A third one may reappear in future.) ;) I've also heard rumors that the classic master villain Sunburst will be returning to the Champions Universe in Villains, Vandals, And Vermin - don't hold me to that, though. :sneaky:

Mechanon' date=' Dr. Destroyer, Firewing, Foxbat, Grond, Eurostar, Cobra/King Cobra, the Slug, and Black Paladin have been prominent since First or Second Edition, and Dark Seraph and Mechassassin may precede Third Edition since they first appeared in [i']Enemies III[/i].

Of course the current incarnation of Eurostar includes two members of Terror Inc., another very early part of the CU. (A third one may reappear in future.) ;) I've also heard rumors that the classic master villain Sunburst will be returning to the Champions Universe in Villains, Vandals, And Vermin - don't hold me to that, though. :sneaky:

I heard the same thing from a pretty good sourse of inside information...

VOICE - Lung Hung Red Dragon is pretty much an iconic evil mastermind type.

TANGENT ALERT - I think that his lackeys (being VOICE) would wipe the floor with Dr D's lackeys and would wipe the floor with almost any other villain team proper. So if you measure the villain by the size of his lackeys, Lung Hung is the man... err... woman.

Iconic Champions villains you say ?

Dr Destroyer for one. In every edition he is there.

Firewing. Inspired the creation of the Protectors of Scott Bennie so we are grateful for that.

Grond. The greatest origin story of them all.

Ankylosaur. Because the look of the original armour was the bees knees

Foxbat. Because a quick drawing on the front of Enemies 2 became the greatest running gag in the game.

Eurostar. The first team put together who could hammer the good guys and the twist was that they were European.

Ripper. He's made it onto the covers of three products now.

Rainbow Archer. Made it into two Champs products and is liked by those who remember her.

VIPER. The boys in Green are either a total laugh or a deadly threat.

CLOWN. Because Steve hates them.

ZODIAC. Because this product had colour plates and when you look at what the organisation could do and their origin stories it got you thinking, 'Why didn't I think of that ?' or 'I won't use this as set down but I will adapt it'

Bulldozer. Because he's a maroon.

Cobra (aka King Cobra). Because it gives you the opportunity to have loads of snake villains and you can ape the Serpent Syndicate/Society from Marvel

The Monster. For that Gothic or Pulp feel and I like Lon Chaney.

GENOCIDE's Minutemen robots. Nothing says 'Die mutant !' more than a giant robot.

Dr Lirby Koo. Because the name kept appearing and he never did in any product.

Viper (why am I the first one to mention Viper?)

Because Viper isn't a villain, it's an organization.

It's an iconic part of the Champions U though, even if none of the specific villains who work for it are.

In addition to the villains already mentioned, I'd include--

Pulsar

Cheshire Cat

Shrinker

Howler

Bluejay

Icicle

Leech

I'd also include Holocaust. Although he never got a write-up until Fifth Edition, he's appeared on the cover of the vert first Champions book, and the very first Enemies. He's been there all along, but never got noticed until now.

And for iconic Heroes, you can't leave out Crusader and Starburst. They may not have made it into 5th Edition, but they were there from the beginning. I'd like to think that in the current CU they exist as comic book characters--which means, as Gardner Fox taught us, that they're real people whose superheroic adventures appear as dreams to the comic creators who write and draw them.

Yes--I think I will think so. :D:thumbup:

And for iconic Heroes' date=' you can't leave out Crusader and Starburst. They may not have made it into 5th Edition, but they were there from the beginning. I'd like to think that in the current CU they exist as comic book characters--which means, as Gardner Fox taught us, that they're real people whose superheroic adventures appear as dreams to the comic creators who write and draw them.[/quote']

Absolutely.

I'll add Seeker to that, a little grudgingly, because I think he's amusing, and because he's really "useful" for designing an Australian based game.

Iconic villains? All the ones in the first edition book: Armadillo, Dragonfly, Green Dragon, Howler, Icicle, Mechanon, Ogre, Pulsar, Shrinker, and, of course, Dr Lirby Koo.

Organisations: VIPER and UNTIL, although I could survive without UNTIL. If they are included, however, then Major Martinez is necessary.

Everyone else is optional.

Absolutely.

I'll add Seeker to that, a little grudgingly, because I think he's amusing, and because he's really "useful" for designing an Australian based game.

Iconic villains? All the ones in the first edition book: Armadillo, Dragonfly, Green Dragon, Howler, Icicle, Mechanon, Ogre, Pulsar, Shrinker, and, of course, Dr Lirby Koo.

Organisations: VIPER and UNTIL, although I could survive without UNTIL. If they are included, however, then Major Martinez is necessary.

Everyone else is optional.

Was Koo stated up in 1st edition? If so I will have to track a copy down just for him...

As far as I'm aware he's never been statted up, or even described in much detail.

I've always regarded him as essentially a non-combatant mastermind type (although I would make him a decent combatant if it ever came down to it). Basically, by the time the PCs fight their way through his minions and thwart his Nefarious Scheme, he would usually have escaped or disappeared in a "nobody could have survived that!" explosion.

EDIT: So somehow he manages to be an iconic villain even though we know nothing much about him aside from his name, and his connection to various fairly nothing villains... Hmm...

I guess he just kind of brings out peoples' inner Evil Masterminds.

"If I was an Evil Mastermind, I would... Bwa ha ha ha ha!"