Heroes for pay

nexus

Re: Heroes for pay

And how often do your hear "Shot when he tried to play the hero"?

Theses guys had luck that the target was suprised by the reaction. When you go against somebody who is armed you either manage to disable him with your first strike* (or at least get him on the defense so he can't threaten anybody else) or third people will get caught in the crossfire.

(*you either kill him, disable him or get him so out of his thoughts he can't act harmfull anymore)

It's one of those things that should be left to the experts? What if you're the expert and see an opening? Besides, people, when threatened, don't always flee, and have to think fast. I'm not surprised that some conclude resistance is not futile. Especially old Marines.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resistance is always a gamble and I can';t blame anyone for deciding that its not worth it particularly for a material possession or money (or someone elses in the case of a store being held up). That said, allot of criminals aren't particularly experienced with violence either and are relying on intimidation and will cave or flee before resistance. OTOH, they might panic and overeact as well. Generally, I think acquiescencance is the wiser course for most folks, you can do more to catch the guy alive and able to identify them than dead.

But I'm not going to scoff at those that stood up to an attacker and won. It takes guts.

I would think: God damn' date=' is he nuts? Depending on the weapons of the robber and himself people could have gotten hurt. People tend to get overconfident when they have a weapon and thinking "I can take him on" without having training will just get bystanders get into the line of fire or the line of swing.[/quote']

I have to agree. Yes, he was heroic, but he was also very reckless. Possibly criminally so.

And while it is indeed noble to do good without expectation of recompense, I see little wrong in someone expecting to at least make a living wage off. Especially if they're not doing the usual "fight a supervillain" heroics but are, say, engaged in normally dangerous industrial work such as getting rid of toxic waste or putting satellites in orbit. Superman did that for free -- I think -- but how many people can be Superman?

I would think: God damn' date=' is he nuts? Depending on the weapons of the robber and himself people could have gotten hurt. People tend to get overconfident when they have a weapon and thinking "I can take him on" without having training will just get bystanders get into the line of fire or the line of swing.[/quote']

Actually I've never seen any evidence that civilians are more likely to get people hurt than cops. In fact cops are about 5 times worse at not shotting the wrong guy.

Actually I've never seen any evidence that civilians are more likely to get people hurt than cops. In fact cops are about 5 times worse at not shotting the wrong guy.

Are they worser? or is it just that you watch 5 times as many reports about policists shooting somebody they are not supposed rather than watching reports about gun-murders and gun accidents by 'normals'?

Guns are about the most dangerous personal weapons you can use. Miss with a sword or other hth-weapon and only everyone in about 2 m is in danger of being hit. Miss with a gun and everybody in a about 2 mile cone in front of you is in danger of being hit. And that is true for every single shot that is fired from either side and we are in the age of half-automatic weapons (meaning: plenty of bullets going flying around). A bullet can easily richochet of metal or bones and can pass a window or house wall with little loss of killing potential.

So once on side is armed (and especially if both sides are armed) every shot that is fired is bad so it is not if not shot is fired at all.

Are they worser?

Hard to say because it's difficult to separate out the civilians who made a mistake in trying to defend themselves from the ones who just committed murder or manslaughter. Police shootings in the line of duty are given the benefit of the doubt in way that private citizens shooting each other totally aren't. It seems likely that civilians are less likely to shoot people by mistake though, because civilians aren't normally armed day in and day out and don't end up in nearly so many high risk situations where they are obligated to point guns at people and shoot them if they make hasty moves.

There are different compensation models to consider, first of all:

1) work for a non-profit organization, paid a livable salary

2) work for the government(local, state, federal or international), paid a decent salary(GS11-15?) with awesome benefits package, liability protection

3) work for hire and for profit, paid per "job"--no pro bono work

3a) work for hire and for profit, paid per job, but do pro bono work subsidized by paid work

4) sponsored by a for-profit corporation, paid a handsome salary with great benefits and decent liability protection

5) work independently, make money largely from merchandizing and commercial endorsements, superheroing is technically "free"

In the first two instances, I don't think the heroes are all that unheroic, at least no less than paid volunteers or police. In instance 5, they can still be fairly heroic, though the need for a good public image may affect their decision-making. In instance 4, it all depends on what demands the corporate employer/sponsor puts upon them. In instance 3, the heroes are basically mercs who only do "good guy" jobs. In instance 3a, they offset this for-profit mentality by taking on pro bono jobs where the persons in need can't afford to pay.

Note that there are also several different ways to be compensated:

1. draw a regular paycheck, with or without commissions/reward money

2. draw a royalty check for merchandising/endorsements

3. get paid in installments for for-hire work

4. claim and collect bounties or reward money(if they are capturing fugitives or wanted criminals)

One distinction between supers who do it for pay and those who do not is that the former may be superheroing as their primary/sole job, doing it "full time", in effect. The latter, otoh, may actually be "part-time heroes", doing it as their free time and work schedule permits. Clearly there are advantages and drawbacks to both models.

It seems likely that civilians are less likely to shoot people by mistake though' date=' because civilians aren't normally armed day in and day out and don't end up in nearly so many high risk situations where they are obligated to point guns at people and shoot them if they make hasty moves.[/quote']

But there are also a lot more poeple with guns than police officers.

2) work for the government(local, state, federal or international), paid a decent salary(GS11-15?) with awesome benefits package, liability protection

3a) work for hire and for profit, paid per job, but do pro bono work subsidized by paid work

4) sponsored by a for-profit corporation, paid a handsome salary with great benefits and decent liability protection

5) work independently, make money largely from merchandizing and commercial endorsements, superheroing is technically "free"

In the first two instances, I don't think the heroes are all that unheroic, at least no less than paid volunteers or police. In instance 5, they can still be fairly heroic, though the need for a good public image may affect their decision-making. In instance 4, it all depends on what demands the corporate employer/sponsor puts upon them. In instance 3, the heroes are basically mercs who only do "good guy" jobs. In instance 3a, they offset this for-profit mentality by taking on pro bono jobs where the persons in need can't afford to pay.

Note that there are also several different ways to be compensated:

1. draw a regular paycheck, with or without commissions/reward money

2. draw a royalty check for merchandising/endorsements

3. get paid in installments for for-hire work

4. claim and collect bounties or reward money(if they are capturing fugitives or wanted criminals)

One distinction between supers who do it for pay and those who do not is that the former may be superheroing as their primary/sole job, doing it "full time", in effect. The latter, otoh, may actually be "part-time heroes", doing it as their free time and work schedule permits. Clearly there are advantages and drawbacks to both models.

Looks good, but don't forget "finders fees" as an income stream...if a super recovers a 10 million dollar Van gough,a large check from an insurance company sounds very reasonable (in a super world it's likely a standing offer, to avoid huge payouts...)

Perhaps, but most people don't carry one with them unless they carry concealed (most jurisdictions require a license). Where open carry is permitted, there aren't many people who aren't going to/coming from a shooting range or hunting grounds who do. Only case I can recall was a gunshop I used to frequent where the owner carried a revolver during business hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Then there's the Spider-Man/Clark Kent variant where your civilian ID gets a job providing news coverage of your costumed ID.

No, there are lot more people who _own_ guns. Most of them just keep them in a closet or a drawer. They don't carry them.

Funny enough, our Game (New Players Welcome) just had a situation fitting for this thread.

PRIMUS branch in Sentry City recently had a breakout during transport (24 Supervillians) and that in addition to the normal wandering supervillians, so they decided they needed two superteams in their fair city. One officially aknowledged/affiliated and one inoficially connected.

We recently had a meeting with the local PRIMUS boss and the two teams (14 heroes in total, the gm had to split the team). Among other things we talked about compensation:

" Of course, you can get paid. Right now, since you have another life. It will have to be Salary, and it's not a lot. Only $400 a week. (which would break down to $10 an hour for a 40 hour work week). But, for every "wanted" criminal you capture; you get paid. The amount you get paid is based on the level of their "wanted" status.

VIPER - you get nothing. They are so numerous, and wide spread, that they'd cost PRIMUS too much to pay for each agent. The other 3 more well-know villains - your group gets $1000 for each. But you have to split that up to who helped with their capture. They were minor villains. "

These "minor" villians were Deathstroke (Requiem and Frost; they were amogn the escapees) and one other guys whose name I forgot who fought the other team (presuably with some vipers as support).

Most of the team said: Don't need money/Give it to an Orphanage/I am rich already

One said: Let's put it in our base

One said:

"I hate to be mercenary, but I could use that paycheck so I can move out of.... I mean, get an apartment. I don't make much as a math tutor and if I get another job, I'd be real limited in my hours here since I'm still going to school. "

My character propably has to take the offer: No secret ID, obvious as a mutant (read: a big walkign target sign) and only in america on courtesy of the "PRIMUS Superhero Excahnge Programm", wich may or may not cover living expenses.

One has a Complication called "Negative Reputation: Superhero for Hire" (a janitor who got superpowers and is marketing his "single skill") and takes the pay. In fact he asked for it in the first place.

Another said:

And as much as I'd like to give my portion of any pay we make to those that need it, I could definitely use it; I'm not exactly swimming in it, though investing into our headquarters would definitely be a priority.

One speedster said:

Paychecks would be nice but there is that whole tax thing that was mentioned. The bounty per villain would help. I do have some expenses when I am ... not dressed for this work.

Of course, you can get paid. Right now, since you have another life. It will have to be Salary, and it's not a lot. Only $400 a week. (which would break down to $10 an hour for a 40 hour work week). But, for every "wanted" criminal you capture; you get paid. The amount you get paid is based on the level of their "wanted" status.

A great incentive for a “hero” / villain team up: new villain on the scene is wanted by PRIMUS so a new superhero goes out and captures him for the bounty. During transport to jail, another villain, actually the “hero” in disguise, busts the first villain out. Now the “hero”’s villainous ID has a bounty, so the first villain disguises himself as a hero and brings in the new villain for a bounty, who is then rescued by the first villain… lather, rinse, repeat.

A great incentive for a “hero” / villain team up: new villain on the scene is wanted by PRIMUS so a new superhero goes out and captures him for the bounty. During transport to jail' date=' another villain, actually the “hero” in disguise, busts the first villain out. Now the “hero”’s villainous ID has a bounty, so the first villain disguises himself as a hero and brings in the new villain for a bounty, who is then rescued by the first villain… lather, rinse, repeat.[/quote']

Until they add 1+1 toghether and let the fake "hero" guard the transport against any more atempts of his vilanious ID to free the guy. Or some other hero interferes.

Until they add 1+1 toghether and let the fake "hero" guard the transport against any more atempts of his vilanious ID to free the guy. Or some other hero interferes.

...then it becomes a fantastic idea. Few NPCs exist solely to thwart the "good guys". They exist so the "good guys" have someone to thwart, and the first step in that dance is discovering the bad guys' nefarious plan.

My group is about to get full sponsorship by the UK government.

A base is going to be supplied for free and they will have input into it but not have to spend any CP's on it.

What would be expected as "pay and benefits"?

Just say they are all now wealthy with 500,000 a year benefits and hand wave the CP's?

Free extra health cover (health cover in UK is free to start with).

Problem being with it is based on this world and the government has very little money and everyone is cutting back.

Hom much to the Avengers etc get?

A base is going to be supplied for free and they will have input into it but not have to spend any CP's on it.

Just say they are all now wealthy with 500,000 a year benefits and hand wave the CP's?

Problem being with it is based on this world and the government has very little money and everyone is cutting back.

If it's not a steady, reliable income and they get the base for free I would just not asume they have any wealth. Plus the government might always "cut" parts of the base budget (thus disabling facilities). Or facilities might be offline because the budget this month isn't enough to get a part needed to repair it.

When you give them somethign for free, you are allowed to take it from them or deny the useablity whenever you like and the story benefits from it. Bases (or base parts) they paid points for are a different pair of shoes and should be reliable/accessible even if the government goes bancrupt or totally stops funding.

If it's not a steady, reliable income and they get the base for free I would just not asume they have any wealth. Plus the government might always "cut" parts of the base budget (thus disabling facilities). Or facilities might be offline because the budget this month isn't enough to get a part needed to repair it.

When you give them somethign for free, you are allowed to take it from them or deny the useablity whenever you like and the story benefits from it. Bases (or base parts) they paid points for are a different pair of shoes and should be reliable/accessible even if the government goes bancrupt or totally stops funding.

Good advice, but it never hurts to emphasize that problems with the base infrastructure aren't just problems, but potential plot hooks or side-arcs to adventure,

NPC Maintenance Guy: "They stopped making this model 20 years ago. it looks like the framistat is broken. To have any hope of fixing this, we're going to have to find 57 grams of McGuffinium, 33-and-a-third feet of Unobtaniun filament and a plasma welding torch."

Complication/disad of Subject to Orders / Government Interference.

The Avengers received $1000/wk. Most members donated it to one charity or another.

Both my Hero Central Characters have the Perk: Wealthy, but one is a Lawyer and Private Detective. The other is a former Circus de Solie Artist/Acrobat, Super Model, Actor, Singer, and Stunt Man. They are also both my first characters with Public ID's. Cougar has a PRE of 23 with Interaction Skills at 14- and a Striking Appearance +2/2d6. A Playgirl (Uncaped), GQ, and so many options. Could be fun.

Cheers

QM

The Avengers received $1000/wk. Most members donated it to one charity or another.

Only a $1,000 a week? Proffesional footballers in the UK get £120,000+ a week.

But then heroes are not in it for the money and footballers are.

So a free 100,000 perk would probably be suitable.