Damage for lightsabers

JmOz

Re: Damage for lightsabers

My take on lightsabers:

However much damage as you like.

Plus extra dice that only affect the limb: severed calculation.

Reason: Nobody ever gets hit in a limb by a lightsaber without losing a few pounds if you know what I mean. Not even Vader.

Also: combat luck does not apply when you get hit with a lightsaber - see above.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on lightsabers:

However much damage as you like.

Plus extra dice that only affect the limb: severed calculation.

Reason: Nobody ever gets hit in a limb by a lightsaber without losing a few pounds if you know what I mean. Not even Vader.

Also: combat luck does not apply when you get hit with a lightsaber - see above.

Obi Wan Kenobi gets hit twice in limbs and doesn't lose either limb. Ep II Dooku hits him twice.

My issue is that Combat Luck is ARMOR' date=' not a valid form of AVLD or NND defense (okay, it could conceivably be an NND, but then you just take NO damage). That's the problem.[/quote']

I can appreciate that critique. I see how that could be a problem. However this is an occasion where the effect of the Defense I think makes it appropriate. Limiting the defense to Combat Luck (I should rename it to something like combat savy or something for this cause) is simpy limiting it to the defense to this specific instance. I've probably created an exception to the rules as they stand. This exception works though.

Trust me I'm not trying to thrust my write up on you or anyone else. I'm using it as an example of a write up that works quite well (even with the exception, or maybe because of it).

I agree with Rick that it's very possible his build works just fine. He has obviously controlled Combat Luck in the context of his game making it a rare form of Defense to encounter. Unlike Pulp for instance where every other strong jawed hero has Combat Luck.

Thank you, as you said in JmOZ's pulp game I think that using the force field for the AVLD works better. Especially since it will be a "Laser sword", a pulp interpertation of the Lightsaber.

My issue is that Combat Luck is ARMOR' date=' not a valid form of AVLD or NND defense (okay, it could conceivably be an NND, but then you just take NO damage). That's the problem.[/quote']

umm, ok, now I see why you've had a problem with the build, however I'm basing the build on the following, I've added the emphasis

...Furthermore, AVLD only costs +3/4 if the defense against it is extraordinary common (Moreso than the defense against the power) or is simply a limited form of the power's standard defense

Now if someone with revised could for my own sake double check that it is still there, I would apreciate it

Now if someone with revised could for my own sake double check that it is still there, I would apreciate it

I just checked it out. That is what it says. So I should redo the cost. I missed that before. I've been playing fore 15 years or so, sometimes I forget to read up on things. So it should be a +3/4 advantage on my build I'll look into fixing that. Good catch, thanks for the edification.

IIRC' date=' lightsabers can't cut through Mandalorian Iron/Steel, which is what Boba Fett (sp?) used. Also, CU blasters are rated 9d6 ranged EB, so you might want to use 3d6 HKAs.[/quote']

That is all EU stuff, erroneous in terms of the Films, not a source I use.

for my Star Wars setting, i also ditched mandalorian iron, cortosis weave, and personal energy shields (KotOR was, after all, a video game, which requires certain mechanics to be incorperated). that fixed a lot of the EU bs. also fixed the chronology of the saber, as it only coming into existance half-way through the 25000 year long history of the Republic, when they had plasma cutters back during the Rakatan Empire (300(0?) years before the Republic. just sillyness, imho.

The Light Sabre is a pretty nasty weapon, even to those that might

use it themselves. One mistake and you could have a major issue.

I have always like Vibro Blades myself, much more realistic to me

and one could handle them much the same way. I will not allow

lightsabers in my Traveller hero game.

Penn

wishing I had not called this thread lightsabers, but oh well, in response to the last post, I agree with you except that I think there is something wonderfully pulpish about laser swords (Even though they were really something added to pulpish style tales instead of true pulp tales). It definatly is something to consider when working on flavor

wishing I had not called this thread lightsabers' date=' but oh well, in response to the last post, I agree with you except that I think there is something wonderfully pulpish about laser swords (Even though they were really something added to pulpish style tales instead of true pulp tales). It definatly is something to consider when working on flavor[/quote']

Plus, Lightsaber is wonderfully Space Opera, where as Laser Sword sounds like something out a two fisted tail of pulp fiction.

Here's how I would build one from scratch:

(I'm sure it is similar to the published version but I haven't cracked open my copy of Star Hero in over 2 years).

edit

45 Lightsaber: (Total: 138 Active Cost, 45 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Force Fields and other Lightsabers; +1), Does BODY (+1) (52 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 10 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14) plus Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; Only vs. targets touching the blade; +3/4), No Normal Defense (Force Fields and other Lightsabers; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1) (86 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Killing Attack - Ranged; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only vs. objects touching the blade; -1/4) (Real Cost: 31) - END=0

edit

22 Lightsaber Deflection: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Sensitivity to the Force; Lesser Instant Power can be used in any Phase in which greater Constant Power is in use; -1/4)

I didn't use the Independent Limitation since a Jedi (if that's the character type using it) would know how to construct a replacement if lost.

And in a universe where such weapons exist Jedi would probably need the following abilities just to stay alive:

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

12 +4 with Lightsabers

8 Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Hit Location modifiers with with Lightsabers

5 Rapid Attack (HTH)

42 Sensitivity to the Force: Danger Sense (any area, any danger, Analyze, Discriminatory, Function as a Sense) (52 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; This is to reflect how a powerful Force user can mask himself (The Emperor/Chancelor); -1/4) 11-

When used against a non-Jedi the Lightsaber functions as a 2d6 NND HKA that only Martial Maneuvers can add damage to. It can cut through virtually any physical substance (1d6 Damage Shield) given time.

The ability to block or deflect nearly any type of attack with such a weapon would seem to dictate a defense first philosophy (delay, block/deflect) when used. Luck doesn't fit into the picture. If a Jedi is fighting vs. another Lightsaber/Force skilled opponent he should be completely in control of how open to counterattack he is via use of CSL's.

I'm thinking that a lightsaber ought to have a RSR component to represent the 'in the hands of a master' aspect that keeps them from being quite as nasty in the hands of 'just' martial arts masters.

Also, the STR min may be a bit high. It's a freaking glorified flashlight.

But the Spartan version weights 15 kilos!

I'm thinking that a lightsaber ought to have a RSR component to represent the 'in the hands of a master' aspect that keeps them from being quite as nasty in the hands of 'just' martial arts masters.

Also, the STR min may be a bit high. It's a freaking glorified flashlight.

"in the hands of a master" could also be buying skill levels & or Damage Classes

or a power bought by the master to add to it

+1d6 (all normal modifiers for lightsaber except -1/2 OIF Lightsaber of oppertunity instead of OAF)

Also' date=' the STR min may be a bit high. It's a freaking glorified flashlight.[/quote']

Not the weight, the unweildiness.

When it's turned off, it weighs like a flashlight.

When it's turned on, it's got the kick of a jet engine.

That is, if you believe George Lucas.

• 4 weeks later...

Lightsaber: Elemental Control, 72-point powers, (36 Active Points); all slots OAF Durable (-1), EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), No Knockback (-1/4), No Bleeding (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4), -1 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/4): Real Cost 9.

1) Lightsaber: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD vs. Combat Luck, Dodge-Based Defense, or Energy-Based ED Force Field/Wall (+3/4), Does BODY (+1) (81 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), No STR Bonus (Adds Martial DCs at 4:1) (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4): Real Cost 16.

2) Active Lightsaber: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), AVLD vs. Dodge-Based Defense (e.g. Combat Luck) or Energy-Based Force Field/Wall (+3/4), Continuous (+1), Does BODY (+1) (71 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Specific Beam Only (Only With Block / Missile Deflection / Beam Touched) (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4): Real Cost 14.

Just to throw out another version of it, y'know?

I created the 'EGO Minimum' variation on STR Min to indicate that unless you had a strong will -- and those with the Force pretty much invariably have a high EGO -- would have the self-control necessary to be able to wield a lightsaber without issues to start out with. Low-line apprentice blades most likely do not have that issue. Untunable, of course, is a variation on 'Beam' that can be removed with XP at a later time -- when the character rebuilds the saber, of course.

And I kept the weird metals out of the AVLD, mainly because they're so rare that it practically isn't worth putting in. I'd instead buy those armors/weapons with an advantage to indicate that they stop the lightsaber AVLD...