Teen adventure ideas?

Houston GM

I'm looking for adventure ideas that could be used with a teen heroes game that are not world/campaign/powers specific. Basically, I'm looking for ideas that involve more normal teenage stuff.

Ideas I've used (or am using) already:

1) A PC's girlfriend suspects that he's been cheating, so she starts hanging out with his rival.

2) The PC's have to create a project for "______ Appreciation Day".

3) A PC's sibling runs away from home, then falls in with disreputable people.

4) A PC's parents join a cult.

I would welcome any other "teen drama" ideas that you can come up with.

Re: Teen adventure ideas?

Something I'm having to deal with currently:

Your teen hero comes from a family background that is traditional in the sense that "arranged marriages make sense" sense.

Hillarity ensues.

also:

One of your (estranged) parents is a supervillain, currently training a disciple approximately your age. Instant rival!

Midterms! How can I study for my history exam when I have to stop Doctor Sinister?!

Prom! Sure, I can take a punch from Grond, but can I take it if Michelle turns me down for the dance?

Grounded! I'm supposed to stay in the house for two weeks except for school time, but The Maleficent Seven are turning midtown into hell on earth!

Crush! That new girl has a crush on me, and she's pretty hot! Huh? Whaddya mean she's secretly a supervillainess?

There's the usual stuff, whilst going off on superhero business, a crime or other dastardly deed occurs where the character was last seen in his secret ID.

A teacher pulls the teenaged superhero aside and says, "Johnny, you can trust me. Where did you really get all those bruises? And if you tell me "I fell" I'm gonna smack you." [[i.e. how to avoid getting one's folks busted for child abuse, and keep DFACs from crawling up your secret ID, oh... and saving the world]]

The character is currently the subject of a narco-sting operation and has an undercover officer crawling up his or her life, and/or trying to entrap said character.

Pictures of the character stripping off clothes (to enter into heroic ID no less) start circulate on the Inter webz.

Character is declared a social outcast by his/her peers.

The PCs' senior class has decided they want to have a truly massive graduation party. One of the class "operators" takes the cash from the collection, goes to a smuggler, and buys a big chunk of illegal drugs with intent to resell, putting the profits toward the party.

(This actually happened with my high school class in RL.)

Family Secret

The teen has some secret that he/she must hide (or embarassed about), trouble is that his high school project wants him/her to talk about his family.

Afterschool episode (a.k.a. the Special episode)

Teenagers get involve with using drugs (perhaps to curb youthful superpowers or increase performance). The possiblities are endless: the speedster needs to take Ritalin, the mentalist hears "voices", the brick is taking "vitamins", the duplicator is suffering with "multiple personalities", etc. Depending on the players, play it deadly serious, or with tongue firmly in cheek sounding like a bad 80s episode.

Of course they are my REAL parents

Teen tries to skirt a parent-teacher conference by using robot duplicates, shapeshifting friends, or mental possession.

The Teachers are ALIENS

Shapeshifting teachers have taken over the school. Live out the teen fantasy of vaporizing the entire school board. It's ok, they're shapeshifting lizards from another planet.

More later.

Spring Fling: The school has a carnival, with practically all students in attendance (including PCs with NPC friends and girlfriends/boyfriends). Of course, that's when a supervillain (or group of them) decides to crash the party.

Crosstown Rivals: A rival school begins pranking the PCs' school, anything from stealing the school mascot to outright property damage. Amid this, a friend/DNPC from the PCs' school decides to retaliate, a bit too excessively, and the PCs need to find a way to smooth things out.

Food Fight: Somebody taints the cafeteria food (if it's possible to taint the already-tainted) with something that causes the students to become uncontrollably aggressive. This may well include the PCs, who must fight off strong urges to give rivals and bullies a well-deserved thrashing.

School Parking: A PC's car is stolen from the parking lot... and it has the PC's spare costume inside (under the seat or in the back of a junk-filled trunk, somewhere not obvious). Now the PC must find the car before the police, or his secret's blown.

I Spy: A female PC discovers she is being watched by a superpowered stalker. At this point, he has no idea she has powers, but it's only a matter of time. How can she get him to go away without revealing her secret?

For a somewhat darker one, a PC's friend asks to sleep over a for a week because her mom's boyfriend is in town and she's afraid to go home.

There's always the Annual Talent Show. Either the prize can be a McGuffin of some sort or a PC's Rival is in the Show. ("Battle of the Bands" can also work, for the right PCs)

The school starts requiring students to show Civic Responsibility by putting in volunteer work - students can pick from visiting nursing homes, cleaning up parks, painting houses, etc... Better sign up quick or only the really unpleasant jobs will be left... The nursing home job also gives a good opportunity to run into retired heroes or villains.

If any of the PC's has single or divorced parents, Mom/Dad goes on a date is an old classic.

A relative comes for an extended visit, banishing the PC to sleep on the couch (or in the attic/basement) - no more climbing out the convenient window for superheroics.

The Journalism class is assigned to pick a student and do a "Week In The Life Of An Ordinary Student" feature. One of them picks a PC to follow around.

You've got four seasons of Kim Possible to steal from. Go nuts. Everything from summer camp next to a toxic lake to your nemesis being your substitute teacher.

Additionally, if you have access to them, some of the early

episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer (back before Buffy's'

mom knew about her 'slayerdom') have some possibilities in

them...Especially if you focus on the misadventures of Xander

and Willow and adapt those to the super teen genre, rather

than straight lifts of Buffy's issues.

-Carl-

You've got four seasons of Kim Possible to steal from. Go nuts. Everything from summer camp next to a toxic lake to your nemesis being your substitute teacher.

Excellent suggestion. Repped.

And, to borrow roughly one of the said plotlines:

The Foreign Exchange Student - So, what's the deal with the student from across the sea, anyway? Is s/he just a shallow hottie, a misunderstood outcast trying to make a fresh start in a new land, or a jerk who's trying to upstage our heroes?

Or is s/he, maybe, a villain trying to win the Student Body President election as the first step to taking over the city, and then the world?

The student body decides to make a superhero their icon for a class project.

How do you show up in the same place as yourself?

Great idea, Balabanto.

Just for fun, if I was running this, I'd first have the other students nominate that PC (in secret ID) as their committee leader. Then they vote and decide on that PC (in hero ID) to honor. At THAT point, I would make the PC aware that, as that group's leader, it's his/her duty to present the award to the hero, aka him/herself.

Oh, Peety, where art thou? - the school mascot (Peety the Peacock) has been kidnapped.

• Twist - the peacock was under the authority of one of the PC's or a DNPC at the time of the kidnapping: this was a power play against a rival (who normally is responsible for taking care of the ol' Petester), and thus they're under the gun to not screw it up.
  • Twist II - there's a time limit: the kidnapping hasn't been discovered yet, and there will be significantly LESS trouble if they get him back beforehand.
  • Twist III - After the GM throwing them a bunch of red herrings, the PC's have to break down and go back to the rival for help. Much to their chagrin, the rival quickly finds Peety, under the porch, asleep. Whooops!

Caught - A locker search is going on, and the PC's have to figure out how to clean out their lockers (with their superhero equipment in them) before the drug-dogs get there.

• Twist - something is preventing them from using their powers to full effect: the cops are already right in front of their locker, or they can't easily get out of class, or something.
  • Twist II - they're not in time. One of the PC's is caught having a super-suit inside their locker. What to do?
  • Twist III - Everyone in the school completely misses the point, and assumes that he PC is just an incredibly geeky fan.