WWYCD voluntary super registration

hfergus

This is complementary to my post on "register or go to prison". Some of you have already dealt with this in my prior post, but if not...

There is a voluntary super registration. You must give up your secret id (if you have one), address and powers .(Not source, just what they are) In exchange, if they like what they see your get police powers (Fed or world depending on campaign.) They check up on you occasionally, but are not too obtrusive if you are not a criminal. Past crimes may not disqualify you; it depends on the crime and how badly they want you.

Volt would register if: A) The penalty for exposing a secret ID was the same as exposing a covert agent. B) The people he is protecting by his ID approve. They would.

Olorin would register as he has a public ID and has noone to protect other than other supers. However, he would drive the authorities nuts. He's somewhat of a goofball. He's unfamliar with modern earth culture. If asked what he can do he'd say "What do you want? Given enough time I could probably do just anything you want. The time involved could be years though." As he is 747 years old from another dimension, investigating his past would be a problem. 1 minute per year of life explanation would be over 12 hours of talking - assuming he would not get off track - and he would. He would be very honest about his past, even his mistakes. He'd tell them what he can do now and what he could do right now with little prep - after babbling on and on about theory and "What I could do back home with some gizmos I have there - but I can't get back there right now." He also likes to boggle minds. The person debriefing him would need a sense of humor, or the patience of a saint - or both.

Black Tiger would not register as he distrusts just about everybody, especially the government. He'd be suspicious of those who did too.

"Olorin, what did you tell the about me?" he'd ask scowling.

Olorin: "I told them you were a &%$@* who distrusted $#%*&!@ authorities and thought they should $%$#@&*!!"

Slight smile "At least you're accurate."

Futurian , the man from the future would register, as he has noone to protect. Investigating his past would be a problem, since he is from the future (OR an alternate one - he's not sure) IF asked about the future, he'd be cryptic and mysterious - and a bit snarky at times. "I can't tell you that. It would mess up the time line. Or not. Whatever."

Re: WWYCD voluntary super registration

Hornet still wouldnt do it. His team They already have local police powers without revealing their secret Identity.

He's smart enough to know no system is safe, no secret given to the government stays secret. He considers handing over hsi secret ID as somethign equal to putting the lives of his wife and child in their hand. Nope, Nope, Nope.

Blaze..no. not that he gives a darn about the personality of his secret ID form, but it would be annoying to have the host body killed, and those they mutually care for threatened.

Seer doesnt care about police powers; they are just a limitation to his activities, even if giving up his real identoty doesnt hurt him too much as he is living off the grid.

To cut to the chase, none of my characters with Secret ID's would ever give it to the government. Ever.

Black Cat would - she has a public ID, so the loss of secret ID just doesn't affect her. The rest of it doesn't bug her.

Terminal Velocity would not do it, as long as revealing Secret ID is part of it.

Ballistic has a public ID, and he might, then again he might not.

Meeb - sure. It's not like he can have a secret ID anyway (Glurb Burble notwithstanding).

Everyone else wouldn't for secret ID reasons.

Zl'f: Since it's doubtful she would register if it was mandatory, there's no way she would if it was strictly voluntary. Moreover, since MidGuard is a globe-spanning international team it's unlikely any one nation could force her to register. MidGuard has VERY high level contacts in a number of nations to go to bat for their continued anonymity.

Jack-A-Dandy would register using fake details, preferably those belonging to a distant member of the President's family. When he was called on it (as he inevitably would be) he'd laugh the bureaucratic fools to scorn and carry on drinking Moet.

Shooting Star: Shooting Star gained her powers at a young age, and rather messily at that. The government agency covering super related stuff already has sufficient records to link her civilian and super IDs. As such, she has no problem with registering.

However, she's atypically sloppy about covering her secret ID. Since she feels that anyone doing their homework would be able to uncover her identity, she sort of regards it as a lost cause and is unwilling to make sacrifices to protect it. With that attitude, of course it wouldn't last though.

Daedalus: Has a public id due to being an ex-supervillain who saved Millenium City, and is now a billionaire CEO celebrity superhero watched by the media. He's got nothing to lose by providing the information everyone already knows to the Registration Agency and getting police powers out of the deal.

Quetzalcoatl: *Upon finding himself visiting the future* "I am Quetzalcoatl, God of Knowledge, Lord of The Skies, Scion of Ometeotl The Creator, and King of Anahuac. That should be sufficient for your purposes."

Warp:Had to register to become a member of The Sentinels. If he was still solo would decline to volunteer.

Spectrum: Is the government superhero liason to his team and an officer of the United States Airforce who gained his powers on a mission. He's already registered.

Quetzalcoatl: *Upon finding himself visiting the future* "I am Quetzalcoatl, God of Knowledge, Lord of The Skies, Scion of Ometeotl The Creator, and King of Anahuac. That should be sufficient for your purposes."

I don't know, it went *real* well the last time Quetzlcoatl just told someone his name. ;)

Sir Johnstone wouldn't bother registering. He isn't looking to get police powers despite having a public id anyway. If someone from the British government or the monarchy told him to register as a show of goodwill between Britain and America, however, he definitely would. And, to be frank, that's quite likely.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike the Demoness: "I appreciate the offer. I really do. But tell me - if your database gets leaked, and some person who takes religious offense at my goatish good looks sneaks up on me when I'm at home and sleeping, who in the bureaucracy will be charged, with what, and with what potential sentence? If your government's people aren't willing to risk your lives to keep my identity safe and the holy-water-gun brigade from knowing where to picket my house, and worse, why should I be willing to risk /my/ life?"

Jake the Troll - his parents wouldn't let him register: not because they're trying to keep his identity a secret, but because, really: would YOU trust a 16-year old with police powers?

Icon - Sure, she'd register. It'll look good on her application to the FBI, after she gets out of college.

Shinji Miromoto - already has this with the city of Denver.

Widower - Sounds like Haziz is messing with him. He'd grudgingly go along with it, as he would think it's part of his story arc.

And if Thia Halmades were rendered as a Superhero, then he would likely register. He believes in systems and authority, although he'd be very unlikely to agree with it, but would go along with it regardless.

Jarome Nicholaria, however, runs the razors edge between legal and blatantly illegal, depending on which version of Jarome we're talking about. Either pre-Thia, where he was a full core assassin, or post-Thia, where he changed his stripes, but not so far that 'illegal' is a term that applies to people who get caught. So no, I can't see either version of Jarome 'volunteering.'

I can see him breaking in and trying to wipe any records of himself, though.

Hell's Angel did register voluntarily. It made being a superhero much easier. The authorities no longer viewed her as suspiciously as the criminals she tried to deal with. She can testify in court as Hell's Angel.

Iron Maiden wouldn't register, though she did reveal her identity to her teammates when she joined the AEGIS-sponsored Guardians superhero team. So presumably, AEGIS knows who she is now (but despite assurances that they hadn't pried, she suspected they knew already so it was a moot point).

Black Mask doesn't let anyone know who he is.

There is a voluntary super registration. You must give up your secret id (if you have one)' date=' address and powers .(Not source, just what they are) In exchange, if they like what they see your get police powers (Fed or world depending on campaign.) They check up on you occasionally, but are not too obtrusive if you are not a criminal. Past crimes may not disqualify you; it depends on the crime and how badly they want you.[/quote']

Dust Raven: Would not sign up. For one, he doesn't really have a "secret" ID. For another, he doesn't need a badge to meet justice in his neighborhood.

Ashton: "I'm a Silver Avenger already? What more could you want to know?"

Zectron: SIGN ME UP!!!

Luna Moth: Would not sign up. Has no intention of telling the police where to find her. (Yes, she is pretty badly wanted. Thumbing your nose at the enforcers of law and order in front of the media is not highly recommended for those beginning their criminal career.)

Flying Kittens: Would sign up.

Jack Diamond: He'd be happy to register...as Jack Diamond. True, it's not his real identity, and the authorities know that, but he's got more than sufficient documentation that says otherwise.

Thunderstrike: Before making any kind of decision, he'd try to locate and hack into the database the government will be keeping all this information in. If he's successful—and given his computer skills, it's almost certain that he would be—he'd arrange for a meeting with whoever offered the invitation. At that meeting, he'd say something like, "I did a little checking, and it seems you've got some problems with your security. [hands over large stack of papers] When you get all that taken care of, give me a call."

Pariah: He has no particular identity to hide; the people who are looking for him won't be using a government database as a means of finding him. Being a law-and-order kind of guy, he'd probably go ahead and register.

Morningstar: "Oh, that is SO not gonna happen. You guys are notorious for leaking information. Am I supposed to believe that you can keep anything I give you away from people like VIPER and Genocide? Not interested."

ColdFire: "Why bother? Everybody already knows who I am and where to find me, and our landlady's a PRIMUS agent."

Wild Card: He'd think about it for a while, but ultimately decide it'd be too much trouble. With all the weirdness that he and his team face on a regular basis, he'd never get anyone in the government to take him seriously. He knows. He's tried.

Amethyst: She's in the middle of a war against alien invaders at the moment. Registration will have to wait.

Onyx: "Police powers? Cool! Where do I sign?"

Tamlyn - Wouldn't (and hasn't since this is an issue of the game). She tends to distrust human authorities if only, because she does not believe that they are competent. She thinks of humans as peons that must be saved from themselves more often than supervillains.

Gwendolyn - Would if someone told her she should. If nobody mentioned it, it wouldn't even cross her mind.