I'm going to make a big noise...BOOM!

Hermit

Your character has ticked off a mad scientist (Who knows why, these guys have short fuses) and ends up getting hit by an odd ray. There is a tingling sensation, not a pleasant one, through out your nerves, and the Mad Scientist announces that the city that idealizes you will grow to hate you... for he has turned you into a living bomb. In ten minutes, you will explode with enough force to take out ten square blocks! Oh, and you'll be dead too. The scientist laughs manically, and bites down hard on something, a poison capsule in his denture work (How cliche') trying to kill himself before you can question him for a 'cure.

You begin to glow. If this is a bluff, it's a good one. What Would Your Character Do?

Re: I'm going to make a big noise...BOOM!

Pretty much all my characters would call for assistance. Even if their team mates couldn’t stop the process they could get them to a safe distance so that no bystanders would be hurt

Ivy: Could reform her consciousness elsewhere though so it’s not such a self sacrifice for her.

Eve: Same difference except she’d upload her persona to her backup systems or her nanites could rebuild her.

Anthem would seek the nearest containment she could find. She has no super-movement to get out of the city in time, and generally works solo. So she'd go to a bank vault, or something, alert everyone there to run, and lock herself in.

Audra Blue would have Bridge teleport her out of the city. She's agoraphobic, so she'll be catatonic wherever she winds up, but it won't be for very long anyway.

Uncle Slam would fly straight up. But he's seen bluffs before, so he'd take the scientist with him, in the even it was a tactic to get him to leave while the doc played dead. That way, should the scientist wake up he'd still be in custody, and if he didn't wake up and the bomb is legit, his remains would be as scattered as Slam's.

hmm. Vitus would probably have to to rely on his team mates to get away from the conurbation fast enough. Not that he has much compassion for humans, but there is one he likes, and she might be nearby. On the other hand, since it can take the skeleton crew up to 42 hours to respond to an emergency, Vitus will probably have time to split the arsehole from crotch to throat, for being annoying, even if he is dead.

However, if it's a slow poison - Cure Poison, and start breaking the mad scientist's fingers one by one until he tells me the antidote. A combination of minor dismemberment and healing spells can be *amazingly* persuasive, especially if you go for more sensitive organs first. Eyes are good.

It's just possible Zero will have time to fly home and take out his mother in the explosion. If deep telepathy doesn't get the info out in time.

Shooting Star assumes that he's either lying or mistaken. If he actually intended for her to explode inside the city, then there's no way someone would give her a whole 10 minutes - she could fly miles away in just a few seconds. So he might be lying about the exact duration (we already had the bomb set to explode with about half the time remaining on the countdown :)). Or he's mistaken: with 10x normal metabolism, Megan might explode in 10x the normal time.

So she's out of the room before the body hits the ground, heading out to sea (and up) at hyper sonic speed. Then she'll start to call teammates, and then her friend/family in case things don't work out.

None of The First Ladies has any means of fast transport, so they basically have to stay where they are.

Primadonna: You know the saying It ain't over till the fat lady sings? Well, she just started to sing. ( and with her sonic powers she'll warn all innocent bystanders)

Primaballerina: Starts a prayer.

Diva: Will run away to give a last minute TV interview and explode live on nationwide TV.

Mike the Demoness: Allows the scientist to suicide, if that's what he wants to do. As he dies, "You've made a big mistake, fella. That glowing you're seeing? That's my own fires flaming up since I'm so annoyed at you. If the rumours are to be believed, you're gonna get a real close look at the real thing, real soon now..." And then, just in case he actually was telling the truth, flapping her bat-wings to get as far from the centre of Campaign City as she could in the allotted time, probably over a nearby ocean. She doesn't /want/ to die, and isn't even quite sure if she /can/, but even if she does survive blowing up she doesn't want a whole lotta civvies taken out when she goes.

Rubber Mousie jams a portion of herself into the scientist's mouth to recover the pill before it dissolves... and then continues wrapping her substance around him, until he's encased within her. "You and me, we're gonna have a little chat about how to keep me alive, and I haven't got time for the niceties..." She has a Psych Lim, "Wants to Live Forever", that he's just triggered. And, instead of a Code Versus Killing, she has "Protective of Innocents"... and this guy has just proven he's /not/ an innocent, and she /doesn't/ have a "Code Versus Torturing Non-Innocents".

Volt "Up, up, and away!" He'd fly as fast as he could up and away from people. He'd take the scientist with him, just in case.

Olorin T-port to Antartica with the scientist. If he had a dimension walk spell, he'd go to a time-stop dimension with a trigger to go back. If he had a time stop spell ready, well... he'd have all the time he needed to fix it.

Black Tiger Swear and grab the scientist just in case, running as fast as he can to someplace where innocents can't be hurt.

Futurian would start laughing. Unless this is magic or chemical, it is tech, and in that case, gizmo destroyed; problem over. He'd fly away fast with the scientist if he could not destroy it.

If ever there was a time for Bastion to perfect his quantum movement to the Microverse... THIS IS IT!

With no major movement powers (and I'm assuming no outside help) Dr. Castle (Bastion) would begin a flurry of activity centered around his Chromo-Dial as he attempted to reconfigure the chromodynamic quantum effects of it's field projector.

"Certainly I can contain the concussion within a chromodynamic cascade... NO!

Perhaps I can plunge this particularly powerful puissance into a prosaic para-dimension... NO!

There has to be a quantifiable calculation that counters this caustic conundrum!!!"

The key... Bastion would have to consciously avoid disabling the Chromo-Dial's normal size altering abilities while frantically searching for an alternate solution to suicide. His last-ditch action would to be to get small... REAL SMALL... In hopes of entering the Multiverse and containing the explosion within it's unique physical characteristics. Bastion, however, is definitely aware that the inability to reach the Multiverse could lead to a FUSION CASCADE at the atomic level :eek:... Failure is NOT an option!!!!!!!!!

(NOTE: Bastion doesn’t really speak in alliteration ;) )

Avalon would simply fly as far away from the city as possible, after sending a message via magic to her parents both of whom are powerful magical users. This way she's made sure that she's not in the area when she goes boom, and has a good chance that her parents or one of thier superhero friends might come up with a way to save her.

The Techno Twins would just look at the villain as if he was very stupid indeed, shaking thier heads sadly.

"Like the citizens didn't know we came here to stop him," Zachary Techno would say.

"Yeah, they'd know -he- killed us and it was all -his- fault, duh."

The twins would then proceed to use thier various technological skills to alter the ray device in an attempt to use it to reverse the process that made them living bombs in the first place. They both have about 30 INT, hi-tech skills out the wazoo, gadget pools and skill levels when working together so they have a decent chance of pulling it off within ten minutes.

Vindicator, Twilight, Atlas and Savannah don't have long range travel powers and are pretty much effed. However as this is a supervillain base, they will look around for some escape device they could use to get out of the area before they go boom.

Twilight would also contact his mentors, in the hopes that they can find a solution in time.

Flying Kittens: Have no mega-scale travel powers or high-tech skills, thus are pretty much FUBAR'd in that sense. However, they also know better than to provide the loony lab rat with a single target. So while Kitten A is being affected by the suicide bomb ray, Kittens B and C are already in motion to take down the mad doc before he finishes his monologue. If the Kittens manage to keep him from using his 'poison' pill, they'll give him a ultimatum of their own; Cure Kitten A or die with the rest of us when she explodes. If they fail to keep the doc alive, the two unaffected Kittens will locate the escape device, and depending on how it works, will either use it themselves or send the doc and their sibling through.

That is, if one of them doesn't call Mickey(a time-traveling super-tech) first.

Icestar's only mode of faster-than-running-speed transport is her ice constructs. Assuming she's on her own, she would create a pillar of ice to carry her as far up as she can go in 7 or 8 minutes, then surround herself in as many layers of ice as she can to try and avoid as much collateral damage as possible.

Soulbarb (High-powered): Since the dead scientist's soul is likely enroute to Hell at this point, Soulbarb is likely to be able to come up with a spell to converse with him, and make him come to the realization that even in Hell, things can always be worse. Armed with that, she will convince him to come clean regarding how to reverse the ray's effect. Alternatively, she *might* be able to come up with a spell to dispel the ray's effect, and/or drum up some help to do so. All else fails, she can gate herself a few KM straight up (or wherever necessary to avoid casualties) but she would far prefer to bend every effort to (a) identifying whether the ray will *really* make her blow up and (B) if so, reversing it, before doing so. Staying in the vicinity of the ray gun and examining it or having others examine it will improve those odds, so she won't go until the last moment.

(Low-powered): Has no mega-movement powers and no way to contain such an explosion -- if it's powerful enough to take out 10 city blocks a bank vault won't stop it. Start combing through the mad scientist's lab for a possible cure and/or an escape vehicle of some sort so she can at least get airborne or something.

Sylph: Use her healing powers to neutralize the poison the mad scientist ingested, or at least delay his death. Try to reason with him (if she hasn't already had a chance to do so) to convince him that blowing up the city isn't going to solve whatever problems he's facing, and get him to reverse the ray so they can turn to looking at addressing his 'issues.' Failing that, use her hypnotic fragrance power to assist in the convincing.

Ashley would try to figure out how the bomb works. If his biological functions fuel it, he could feint death (put himself into stasis). If all else fails, he can travel fast enough to take his bomby self outside of the city in time to save lives.

Alagara, being a powerfully beautiful elven spellcaster, could just ask nicely for the cure, and would most likely get it.

Badger- fly out of town, not much else he could do. If a villain, high on his list of ones he would like to take out was reachable he might fly for them, to take them with him.

Frosty Bob- Well, we will soon find out if Bob is truly immortal or just was a quick healer who didnt age.

Your character has ticked off a mad scientist (Who knows why, these guys have short fuses) and ends up getting hit by an odd ray. There is a tingling sensation, not a pleasant one, through out your nerves, and the Mad Scientist announces that the city that idealizes you will grow to hate you... for he has turned you into a living bomb. In ten minutes, you will explode with enough force to take out ten square blocks! Oh, and you'll be dead too. The scientist laughs manically, and bites down hard on something, a poison capsule in his denture work (How cliche') trying to kill himself before you can question him for a 'cure.

You begin to glow. If this is a bluff, it's a good one. What Would Your Character Do?

Ya know, I don't know how PhaseKitty would be fighting this guy w/o the rest of the team. People on the team could stop this easy.

But that kinda kills the WWYCD, don't it? :snicker: So I pretend she's alone.

First she calls HQ and reports everything. Then she grabs the baddie (he might be bluffing the dead bit). Then she starts hopping the planes (we don't call 'em dimensions), looking for one where the planar constant say she can't blow up, but where they allow her to live.

Then find a plane where the bad guy either isn't dying, or can be brought back to life.

Then it's "home again, home again, jiggedy jig". :D

25kivd2.gif

Arac-4105 -- is totally effed. With just his swinging, he'll go as far and as fast as he can to a deep body of water and drown himself before the boom, hoping the water will stop some of the shock from injuring people.

Which really sucks if the scientist was lying about the whole thing and the ray only made Arac's body glow!