Catgirls (and Catboys) for Fantasy

Michael Hopcroft

This thread is pretty much what the title says. I'm trying to collect ideas to develop a race for a Fantasy game that combines human intelligence and basic abilities with some of the physical and mental traits of felis cattus, the domestic housecat. Not just people with cute fuzzy ears, but people who act in some ways like cats -- tend to need a lot of sleep, have a limited ability to land on their feet after a fall, are easily provoked to chase after mice and birds (and eat them raw), etc.

I would also like some input on these beings' role in fantasy campaigns and how they participate in a multi-species society.

Re: Catgirls (and Catboys) for Fantasy

This thread is pretty much what the title says. I'm trying to collect ideas to develop a race for a Fantasy game that combines human intelligence and basic abilities with some of the physical and mental traits of felis cattus' date=' the domestic housecat. Not just people with cute fuzzy ears, but people who act in some ways like cats -- tend to need a lot of sleep, [/quote']

Physical Limitation: Extra Sleep needed (possibly also Heavy Sleeper), or Psych Lim: Lazy

have a limited ability to land on their feet after a fall,

Breakfall.

are easily provoked to chase after mice and birds (and eat them raw), etc.

Phys Lim: Limited Diet (Carnivore), Psych Lim: Feline Instincts

I would also like some input on these beings' role in fantasy campaigns and how they participate in a multi-species society.

Well, assuming racial monoculture ...

This is very much campaign-setting dependent. They'd likely be good trackers (assuming feline sensory capability is included in the genetics), and could easily live somewhat symbiotically with creatures with more vegetarian diets ("We'll protect your crops from birds, but we get to eat the birds, deal?" " ... sure!").

Depending on how strong the instincts are, they'd probably be pretty primitive, since it seems they'd rather hunt than domesticate animals for food ("Birds in coops? Kinda takes the fun out of it ..."), and, of course, they're too lazy to develop much in the way of technology.

No real magical style jumps out as being remarkably apropos for these guys, assuming magic is in the game world.

Not sure if any of that was what you were lookin' for, but hope it helps.

And then there's always battle tactics ...

DistractOrc.jpg

Well' date=' assuming racial monoculture ...[/quote']

Not neccesarily a safe assumption, but shoot.

This is very much campaign-setting dependent. They'd likely be good trackers (assuming feline sensory capability is included in the genetics), and could easily live somewhat symbiotically with creatures with more vegetarian diets ("We'll protect your crops from birds, but we get to eat the birds, deal?" " ... sure!").

I can imagine some beings being repulsed by their being so blatantly carnivorous.

Depending on how strong the instincts are, they'd probably be pretty primitive, since it seems they'd rather hunt than domesticate animals for food ("Birds in coops? Kinda takes the fun out of it ..."), and, of course, they're too lazy to develop much in the way of technology.

Doesn't mean they won't use technology developed by others. They won't neccesarily shy away from using things like swords and bows.

No real magical style jumps out as being remarkably apropos for these guys, assuming magic is in the game world.

That doesn't mean they might not choose, on occasion, to seek out the company of mages. And intelligence means that, when neccesary, they can set aside instinct and do things like not attack the owl in the familiar cage.

I don't anything about making cat people, Mike, but it seems to me the two easiest ways of doing something like this is watching a cat and add human features.

Or pick a cat person from a cartoon or manga and use that as a base model like Puss in Boots from Shrek.

Just my first thoughts.

CES

In our Fantasy Hero campaign we had Felines...bi-pedal cat-people basically. They had clawed feet and five fingered clawed hands. Covered in fur from head to toe. Used weapons and wore armor. The all had the Talent: Light Sleep. Cats will pop out of a dead sleep at the drop of a hat. Acrobatics was a must as was breakfall. Being carnivores doesn't mean eating things raw necessarily. We had two types of Felines: City Civilized and Wilderness Primative. The City types were referred to as Domi's and the wilderness types as Fe'rals. I've played both. Stealth was also a required skill as was a higher speed than most. Cats are fast. I had a Lion Feline who was a Blademaster and he normally had a 4 speed but could channel an ability that made him faster...possibly 5 speed. For Fantasy Hero that's fast.

There is also the Rakasta a D&D race originally found in the Red Steel setting.

Actually, they were originally found in module X1: The Isle of Dread. They hit the big time as a player race in Red Steel.

What all did the Rakasta do that was interesting? I remember they had steel war claws that fit over their natural ones, for greater damage. And they rode saber-tooth tigers. And they could jump really good, IIRC. Did Red Steel give them any new powers or anything?

In my campaign, catgirls/catboys are second-class citizens. They are basically treated as if they are smart pets that can talk. Catgirls/catboys aren't born, but are summoned, and when they are done they return to whence they came.

Think Pink from Dragon Pink as a summoned creature.

Guest Major Tom

I've no doubt that there'd be more than a few (male) PCs that would look at

someone like Pink as more than just a summoned creature...

Major Tom :sneaky:

This thread is pretty much what the title says. I'm trying to collect ideas to develop a race for a Fantasy game that combines human intelligence and basic abilities with some of the physical and mental traits of felis cattus, the domestic housecat. Not just people with cute fuzzy ears, but people who act in some ways like cats -- tend to need a lot of sleep, have a limited ability to land on their feet after a fall, are easily provoked to chase after mice and birds (and eat them raw), etc.

There's two parts to this question.

The first is building the cat race. You seem to have built most of the race already, at least in your mind. If you have access to it, look at the character sheet for a house cat in the Hero System Bestiary and take what you need.

That said, a few comments:

Cats and dogs tend to sleep a lot to conserve energy. However, a sapient race might need far less sleep as they are more capable of finding food (seeing as they can keep chickens, rabbits, and so on). They also should have Lightsleep, Breakfall, Climbing, and an HKA for their claws and teeth. Extra Limb (tail), an extra inch of Running, Nightvision, and Spatial Awareness (whiskers). As for being easily distracted, that's a Psych Lim.

The second part concerns the game world, which really depends on you. What role do you see or want them playing in your setting? If they eat their food raw, that would probably put a lot of people off, but then, do you have lizard men? They'd eat food raw I bet. So might orcs and the like.

Kzin ate food raw and ate other people, but still could show up in human restaurants (IIRC from Ringworld). When I wrote up the M'Larrne, I mentioned that they wore clothing and protective gear and liked to use spices and sauces in their cooking.

Hmm... speaking of cat races in fiction, I'd also take a look at the Hani from the Chanur series of novels.

Actually, they were originally found in module X1: The Isle of Dread. They hit the big time as a player race in Red Steel.

What all did the Rakasta do that was interesting? I remember they had steel war claws that fit over their natural ones, for greater damage. And they rode saber-tooth tigers. And they could jump really good, IIRC. Did Red Steel give them any new powers or anything?

I don't think so...my Red Steel books are in storage right now so I can't look it up. The one thing I do remember is that they were potrayed as having a Samurai like code of honor. Not my first choice of race I like the lupins and the tortles better myself.

I'm currently playing a very cat-like "catgirl" in a Fantasy Hero game. She's based on your typical house cat and on the African Lion since I was watching a Discovery Channel special on Lions when I came up with the background and Martial Arts package.

The GM is using the Torril world for D&D as the setting. There is no feline race in the Toril supplements so I started from scratch and based the character build on the feline package in 4th Ed. Fantasy Hero but added some things such as extra leaping and running. I also bought a non-combat multiple for running since riding a horse was out of the question, she needed to be able to keep up with the group and it fit for their nomadic/hunter lifestyle.

The GM allowed for "quirks" in her game IE: 1 point disads. I took several general "cat" disads to reflect that she doesn't like getting wet, is easily distracted, likes raw meat and has no concept about "personal space". So you could just take a 5pt. Psych lim "Feline Disposition" or some such.

The felines in this world use weapons and make their own, usually long knives. Being hunters and living in a harsh and barren wasteland, they use what they kill. Bone shards, wood and rock for weapons and leather, hide or even pieces of giant bug carapaces for armor.

The only problem I have is finding motivation sometimes. The group wants to go raid some goblin lair or track down a villain and I keep thinking "why would a cat person give a rats ass...". :3

Here's the write up I did for the GM which also includes their Martial Art and their Bone Shaman college.

Edit: I tried to just post the link but there seems to be a problem with that. Sorry for the long post but here's the write up:

“Felines of the Anarouch”

Excerpts from “Journeys in the Anarouch” by Finias Tithwistle, Esq.

The feline tribes are a nomadic people that hunt the deserted grassland wastes of the Anarouch. Survival in the Anarouch is quite harsh. There is a plethora of dangerous and bizarre creatures and plant life to compete with for food and water sources and magic and natural storms that erupt at a moment’s notice that can be quite severe.

The feline people gather into loose knit nomadic tribes for mutual protection and social interaction. Felines generally hunt as individuals but do form hunting parties to bring down large or especially dangerous prey. They hunt a variety of prey. From the smallest of rodents, to the most vicious of Owlbears, to the mightiest Dragon beetle. Even man can fall prey to a hunt if he is unwary. They are quick and agile fighters often able to take down prey larger than themselves.* These hunts are the basis for which their lives are based. All play and social activities seem to revolve around either the hunt or propagation of the species. Individuals intermingle or join with other tribes, apparently at will, although the tribes as a whole tend to be very territorial. Due to their nomadic ways, their “territory” changes with their location and only another feline tribe’s territory is respected. It’s quite possible for a traveler to camp for the night and find himself trespassing in the middle of a feline encampment the next morning.

Although all members of the tribe hunt (even the children) only the males lead. The leader decides when and where a tribe will travel, hunt, gets the first choice of food and mates and makes all decisions regarding the tribe. A tribe is lead by the strongest male fighter and competition can be fierce. As a consequence, the leadership role in the tribe can be very fluid at times as one individual takes leadership and can then quickly lose it again to another. This could be devastating to the social unit if it weren’t for the “shaman” class of the tribe.

The shamans of feline tribes fulfill a role beyond and separate from the tribal leaders. They tend to be female but male shamans are not unheard of. They act as “diplomats” between tribes, healers, seers, teachers and weapon smiths. The shaman’s mystical abilities are varied. Through ritual they can see into the future and past, heal terrible wounds and can make weapons out of bone that are as strong and can hold an edge as well as any steel. Shamans use what I can only describe as “Bone Magic”. They can manipulate bones like clay, use bones in their rituals to so see into the future and past and can mend and even manipulate the bones of themselves and others. Although the shamans do not actually lead the tribe, they often hold the tribe together and have great influence and are afforded great respect. No feline would knowingly harm a shaman of any tribe. From what I was able to gather, shaman are the only individuals that do not wander, join other tribes or hunt. If the feline leader were the head of the tribe the shaman would have to be its heart.

The language of the felines consists of sound and body language, much like ours, but also includes smell as well. They have a heightened sense of smell and can give off odors, that I could not even detect, that can vary or change completely the meaning of a statement or word. Sometimes, dangerously so. Although I was able to learn many of their “words” with out this sense of smell, ability to produce these odors or tail for some body language cues, I was at a great disadvantage in communicating with them. They were also able to learn some words from me when they showed an interest. One male feline, named Abcara, learned to speak some common and pronounced me as “his favorite gnome” and insisted on sleeping in my tent and on top of me most nights, waking me at ungodly hours and rubbing his head against me in an effort to have me scratch his head and back. I also found it of interested that they had no apparent name for their own race. Whether there was just no word that would suffice or it just never occurred them, I'm not quite sure.

A custom that is useful to remember when dealing with the felines is the presentation of food. Food holds a high value in feline culture. They hunt for it, it sustains life and is the only material the felines see as having real, if transient, value. Presenting food to a feline is seen as an offer of friendship and equality. They also seem to have no concept of ownership, trade or personal space. Anything that you can not guard and are not willing to fight for belongs to no one and is free for the taking. Usually, a denial is enough to proclaim ownership but you must be careful, for if you do so in too threatening a manner, a feline may attack but if one does not proclaim ownership before a feline takes possession, it is considered theirs and worth fighting for until they are done with it. You must also be careful about moving to quickly around the feline people. A quick gesture by a stranger can be taken as aggression and running can register you as prey, even if you are familair to them, as I found out to my chagrin. The felines of the Anarouch are a strange contradiction. They are social creatures and can be loving and show great affection, even for a stranger but are also loners and can become quite violent and deadly with little visible provocation. They are a mercurial race and caution is strongly recommended when dealing with these people.

*As a side note, I was struck by how their fighting technique mimicked that of an assassin I observed in Waterdeep many years ago. Perhaps someone has observed the feline people before and has used their fighting ability as a basis for their own."

Neko-Do

Maneuver Cost OCV DCV Effect

Evade 4 - +5 Abort, Dodge

Block 4 +2 +2 Abort, Block

Slash 4 +2 +0 Strike, DC +1

Eviscerate 5 -2 +1 Strike, DC +2

Swipe 5 +1 +3 Strike

Running Strike 5 +1 +0 STR + velocity/5, Full move

Pounce 3 +0 -1 STR + velocity/5, Full move, Both target and you fall

Grab 3 -1 -1 Grab, +10 STR for holding

Escape 4 +0 +0 +15 to STR vs. Grabs

Throat Hold 5 -2 +0 Grab, 2d6 NND vs. hard neck armor, Targets neck with no bonus, Both you and target fall

Frenzy Strike 6 -0 -0 If attack roll is made by 2 pt. Opponent takes an additional hit.

Skill and Elements

WF: Swords

WF: Off-Hand

Use art with swords

KS: Neko-Do

Breakfall

Superleap +5”

Bone Magic

Bone Magic involves the manipulation of bone through mystical means and the practitioners of the art can even draw power through said bones. Some may mistake a practitioner of this art with Necromancy due to the effect these spells invoke. The practice of Bone magic seems to be exclusive to the feline tribes of the Anarouch. Bone Shamans teach their skill to a feline apprentice that displays the ability, temperament and the wisdom to serve the tribe. Bone is the usual foci for this college. Unfortunately, failure in casting a bone spell properly can result in great pain for the caster.

Common Limitations: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF –

Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Most bone spells have Side Effects (-1/2).

Basic Spells

Skull Blast

With this spell, the caster summons up skulls that propel themselves at the target. If the caster fails his roll, the skulls attack the caster.

Power: Energy Blast 8D6, Physical

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF –

Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (6D6 Physical Energy Blast) (-1/2).

Active cost: 40

End: 4; Magic Skill Roll: -4; Casting Time: ½ Phase

Bone Shield

The caster can summon a swirling field of bones to protect him self from damage. If this spell is miscasts the caster will feel exhausted by the effort.

Power: 6 PD/ 6 ED Force Field

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF –

Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 END Drain) (-1/2).

Active cost: 12

End Cost: 1; Magic Roll: -1; Casting Time: 0 Phase

Real Cost: 3

Dispel

The caster throws a bone foci at a spell or magic item and the magic is dispelled.

Power: 8D6 Dispel

Modifiers: Affects any single magic spell (+1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2),

Active Cost: 30

End Cost: 3; Magic Roll: -3; Casting Time: 1/2 Phase

Real Cost: 9

Detect

The caster holds a small bone in the palm of his hand. It will hover and spin in the presence of magic. The closer the magic, the faster the bone spins.

Power: Detect Magic

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Costs END (-1/2), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF –

Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2).

Active Cost: 3

End Cost: 1: Magic Roll: -0; Casting Time: 0 Phase

Real Cost: 1

Wall of Bone

The caster summons a wall of bones from the ground for protection. If miscast, the caster is weakened by the effort.

Power: 6 PD/ 6 ED Force Wall (bone), Opaque to Sight Sense Group.

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 STR Drain) (-1/2).

Active Cost: 40

End Cost: 4; Magic Roll: -4; Casting Time: 0 phase

Real Cost: 10

College Spells

Bone Shards

When used, a bone shards shots forth from the spell caster’s hand. Failure to cast this spell properly will cause the bones of the casters hand great pain.

Power: 2d6 RKA (Sharp Bone Fragment)

Modifiers: Autofire 5 (+1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF –

Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 Physical Energy Blast) (-1/2).

Active Cost = 45

END Cost: 3; Magic Roll: -3; Casting Time: ½ Phase

Real Cost: 11

Shape Bone

This spell allows the caster to manipulate and shape a piece of bone as if it were made of clay. If the caster fails to cast this spell properly, he feels exhausted.

Power: 1D6 Transformation, Minor

Modifiers: Cumulative (+1/2), Variable (+1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6END Drain) (-1/2).

Active Cost: 25

End Cost: 2; Magic Roll: -2; Casting Time: 1 Phase

Real Cost: 6

Bone Spear

When cast a long shaft of bone shoots from the caster’s palm at the intended target. If miscast, the mage can be stunned.

Power: 2 ½ RKA Physical (Bone Spear)

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6Stun Drain) (-1/2).

Active: 40

End Cost: 4; Magic Roll: -4; Casting Time: ½ Phase

Summon Bone Golem

With this spell, a bone golem forms from any bones in the immediate area. If the Magic roll is failed, the mage is greatly weakened from the exertion.

Power: Summon Bone Golem (150pt)

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), Extra Time: 1 Turn (-1), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6Stun drain) (-1/2).

Active Cost: 60

End Cost: 6; Magic Roll: -6; Casting Time: 1 Turn

Real Cost: 12

Ex. Bone Golem

25 STR Disads

14 DEX Vulnerability x 1 ½ Body from blunt weapons

10 CON Follows commands of summoner

18 BOD

5 INT

- EGO Powers

16 PRE Takes No Stun

0 COM Does Not Bleed

6R PD Full Life Support

4R ED IR Vision

3 SPD 0 END STR

2 REC HKA 1d6 (2d6 with STR)

0 END Growth (3 levels), 0 END, Persistent, Always On,

- STUN -2 DCV, +2 to others sight rolls, +1” reach, -3” KB Resistance

Bone Grip

When this spell is cast, skeletal arms reach from out of the ground to grab the target. If the caster fails the magic roll, the arms will reach out of the ground to grab him.

Power: Entangle 5D6

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 Entangle) (-1/2).

Active: 50

End: 5; Magic Roll: -5; Casting Time: ½ Phase

Real Cost: 14

Throwing the Bones

A mage can use this spell to sense the past and future through reading of bones. If the caster fails his magic roll, he exhausted by the effort.

Power: Clairsentience (Past, Present and Future).

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentrate: 0 DCV (-1/2), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), Extra Time: 5 Minutes (-2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 END Drain) (-1/2).

Active Cost: 60

End: 5; Magic Roll: -6; Casting Time: 5 Minutes

Real Cost: 9

Sense Bone

This spell allows the caster sense any bones in the area.

Power: Detect Bones (Sense)

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2).

Active Cost: 5

End Cost: 1; Magic Roll: -1; Casting Time: 0 Phase

Real Cost: 1

Mend Bone

A mage can mend broken bones with this spell. If the caster miscasts this spell he experiences great pain.

Power: Regeneration (4 Body per turn)

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentrate: 0 DCV (-1/2), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), Costs END (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 Physical Energy Blast) (-1/2).

End Cost: 4; Magic Roll: -4; Casting Time: ½ Phase

Real Cost: 8

Manipulate Bone

With this spell a mage can manipulate and control bones at range.

Power: Telekinesis 10 STR

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Only vs. bones (-1), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2).

Active Cost: 15

End Cost: 1; Magic Roll: -1; Casting Time: ½ Phase

Real Cost: 3

Weaken Bone

The caster can weaken an opponent’s bones to their detriment. If the caster fails his roll, he is racked with pain.

Power: Body Drain 2D6

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 Physical Energy Blast) (-1/2).

End: 4; Magic Roll: -4; Casting Time: ½ Phase

Bone Claws

This spell grants the caster large bone claws that spring forth from his fingertips.

Power: 1d6 HKA (up to 2D6 with STR)

Modifiers: 0 End, Persistent (+1), User must pay STR end cost to use (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2).

Active Cost: 15

End: 0; Magic Roll: -3; Casting Time: 0 Phase

Grant Bone Claws

This spell can grant Bone Claws to up to 4 recipients.

Power: 1d6 HKA (upto 2d6 with STR)

Modifiers: Usable by others only, at range, up to 4 (+1 1/4), 0 End, Persistent (+1) User must pay STR end cost to use (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2).

Active cost: 49

End: 0; Magic Roll: -5; Casting Time: 0 Phase

Real Cost: 13

Strengthen Bones

With this spell, a caster can increase the density of his bones. Failing to cast this spell properly can be very painful for the caster.

Power: Density Increase (3 levels)

Modifiers: 0 END (+1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF –

Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 Physical Energy Blast) (-1/2).

Active Cost: 23

End: 2; Magic Roll: -2; Casting Time: 0 Phase

Real Cost: 6

Unique Spells

Achshalan’s Bone Mastery

This nasty little spell allows the caster to crush an opponent by controlling and squeezing its bones. If the caster fails his roll, his bones are crushed instead.

Power: 30 STR Telekinesis

Modifiers: Telekinesis only to grab and squeeze (-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Only Affects Creatures with Bones (-1/4), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 Body Drain) (-1/2).

Active Cost: 45

End: 4; Magic Roll: -4; Casting Time: 0 Phase

Destroy Bones

A Bone Mage can turn bones or a creature made of bone to dust with this spell. Should the mage fail to cast this spell properly, his own bones will be the target of the spell.

Power: 8d6 Transform, All or Nothing (Bones to dust)

Modifiers: Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a magic skill roll (-1/2), OAF – Bone (-1), Character must have at least 20 points in spell from Bone College (-1/2), Side Effects (3d6 Body Drain) (-1/2) Only against bone (-1/4), Extra Time: 1 Phase (-1/2).

Active cost: 120

End Cost: 12; Magic Roll: -12; Casting Time: 1 Phase

Real Cost: 25

Long time ago, in a ADnD campaign, i created a cat-folk (cat-girl) race; they were very singular:

they lived in "tribes" of few members, live by hunt and following a "black furred" shaman. they got tail (ofc), cat-like fur and claw, long hair and tattoo on face (tattoo different from tribe to tribe)

they wear simple leather/hide clothing (no more complex than few stripes covering more sensible areas) and sometime leather/hide bag.

they used claw and unarmed combat, and also blowgun (with venomous dart). can be able to use human weapon as well.

great dexterity, i mean, acrobatics and breakfall

and they were andogyne, i mean they act both "masculine" and "feminine" in different time periods during month

they act very similar to amazon forest's or australia's pre-civilized indigenous: primarily hunter, follow a shaman, use simple weapons and like. but with canny intellect and cat-like curiosity to help'em adapting in "normal" culture.

they were rarely seen, and my player never seen one of those in a 6-7 year campaign

dunno if this is good for you, and re-reading this i see how much they are'nt good for you idea :\

btw other people already posted a lot of interesting ideas, and i think i'll use some for my "revamp" of TA's pakasa race :D

If these cat-people are going be common then it might well be worth having more than a few tribes with different cultures and slightly different characteristics. I'd base them on real breeds of cat although they don't have to keep the names of the original breed.

Here's a few examples.

Siamese. Elegant and cultured tribe hailing from the East and associated with courts. Perhaps they serve as diplomats and courtiers to Eastern potentates or form the ruling class of a particular nation. Also known to make good priests and magicians.

Singapura. They come from the closest equivalent to Singapore that your world boasts. Or they could be the common class of the Siamese Empire. 4-5 feet tall but brave, adventurous and resourceful

Wildcat, (as in the Scottish Wildcat which is more or less impossible to domesticate and has an attitude quite similar to that of a wolverine). They live in small tribes or families in fen or forest. Completely wild. Very savage, lethal in close combat, unsubtle, territorial, paranoid, dislike strangers, include a high number of berserkers. They're only likely to encounter civilisation if they take up the career of a mercenary, although some brave and unscrupulous types might try to capture them for use as gladiators. The main reason that these guys aren't considered 'evil' is because they don't tend to actively seek trouble.

Shorthair. The 'normal' Western type. A city dwelling race descended from foreign cat-people such as the Siamese who interbred with the Wildcat tribes. They are tough but not incapable of civilisation. Retain some of the suspicion of their wild ancestors and tend to have various hideyholes scattered across the city. Reputation as suspicious characters.

Turkish Van. No prizes for guessing where they originated. Large, tough tribe who wander more than most and are particularly noted for being explorers. This last fact may be because the Van do not share their cousins' fear of water and thus make fine sailors or fishermen.

Egyptian Mau. A joyful but mysterious tribe dedicated to the service of certain gods. 'Everyone knows' that all Mau are priests or magicians but of course they come from all walks of life. Some live in human cities as advisors, others live in isolated communities and obscure holy places. Very fast on their feet, even more running speed than a normal cat-person.

There are of course plenty more breeds to choose from, Norwegian Forest Cats would make a hilarious sub race, but this list must stop somewhere.

More general stuff on a cat race.

I would say that they would be highly individualistic, not incapable of working together in a society but each one doing their own thing and mostly interested only in their own friends and family. More self absorbed than selfish they are capable of empathy towards those they like.

Cat-people often seem to have a code of honour but to me that does not seem to match the feline character. I would expect a cat's ethics to be highly personal and based more on affection and emotion than particular rules of conduct. Certainly they would have trouble with concepts of fair play. e.g. "Why should I warn him before I attack? He's bigger than me!" They would thus have difficulty with the laws and morals of other societies, applying them haphazardly if at all i.e. agreeing that it is wrong for someone to steal from them but not for them to steal from someone they dislike.

They would probably be a playful race, enjoying various toys and things to pounce on or chase, some might be able to make a good living out of crafting such toys. Although a human who is too condescending about the whole thing i.e. starts waving a bit of string ib front of a cat-girl's eyes, could easily get into severe trouble.

Since cat-people have natural weapons on both hands they are more likely to develop ambidexterous fighting styles, two swords, two daggers etc. They might even have flashy martial arts involving all four sets of claws and some acrobatics.

Also they would have a slightly different view of casual fighting than humans do. Claws make punching difficult and possibly dangerous for the one doing the punching, scratching is much more natural. And a tavern brawl where everyone is fighting with a double-handful of little hooked daggers is quite a different prospect to the usual fists and chairs deal, protective fur aside. And since cats are innately cautious creatures it seems likely that they wouldn't indulge in casual fighting so easily. Thus there would be less of that kind of violence in a feline tribe. Domestic cats tend to hiss at each other rather than fight of course and it would be quite characterful for cat-people to do that but they might also duel with words rather than claws, whether screaming insults at each other in a pub or trading cunning little barbs in a palace. This could even be a Psych Lim - Will attempt to defeat foes with words and intimidation wherever possible.

As for the rest, I'll agree with what several people have already said, watch a cat, then humanise it.

This is a cat race I developed for my fantasy hero game. It was an Arabian-Nights type setting

Caethar-Din:

Appearance:

Caethar-Din are bipedal, feline humanoids. Their metatarsals are fused into a long running bone, and they have hock instead of a heal. This legs structure gives the impression that they are standing on their toes, but makes them extremely powerful sprinters. They come equipped with feline jaws, claws and a tail which is used both for balance and communication. Average height for a cat person is 4'6" and the average weight is only a little over 100 lb. They are very dense and wiry, strong in proportion to their size. They tend to have tawny or ginger coats, often with darker 'points'. Leopard spots, tabby stripes, and tigerish brindling are not uncommon, and occasional individuals will have the 'black panther' melanin coloration.

Biology:

Caethar-Din are pursuit predators. They have excellent vision and reflective corneas which allows them to see very well with very little light. As a side effect of their visual acuity, however, they are colorblind.

Caethar-Din have powerful muscular legs which enable them to make incredibly quick sprints, and long leaps.

As true carnivores they are somewhat subject to intestinal parasites and have difficulties surviving on 'prepared' foods for any length of time.

Possessed of exceptional balance and poise, all Caethar-Din are ambidexterous. Due to the structure of their legs, however, they cannot ride horses.

Caethar-Din Females come into esterus monthly, year round. Gestation takes six months. Litters of two cubs are the norm, though about thirty percent of births are single and twenty percent produce three or even four cubs. Young are blind and helpless at birth. Their eyes open at about one week. They begin to walk by three months, and are fully mobile by the end of four. Speaking generally begins by the end of the second year. Adolescence is reached at eight years, sexual maturity at twelve. A Caethar-Din's natural life span is about forty years.

Their is little sexual dimporhism in Caethar-Din. Males tend to be slightly bulkier, have larger stronger jaws and a distinct ruff of fur on to of their heads and around their necks. Females have obvious secondary sexual characteristics.

Psychology:

Caethar Din have the dubious distinction of being the only common species of Azkren who associate more easily with other species than they do with their own kind. When dealing with members of their own kind Caethar form into small groups which are hostile and territorial to other Caethar.

Male Caethar-Din may be completely solitary (and loving it) or they may form coalitions of two to four members. A coalition is a semi-permanent affair which general exists to fulfill a single purpose or set of purposes, such as hunting, finding mates, doing business, supplying families etc.

Female Caethar-Din may be solitary, but usually form into permanent prides of two to six members. Prides serve more or less the same function as coalitions.

As a general Rule Prides are most hostile to other Prides and Coalitions are most hostile to other Coalitions. A Coalition may associate with several Prides or vice versa.

When unfamiliar Caethar-Din cross paths it usually leads to confrontation. Depending on the situation this confrontation may be nothing more than the proverbial hissing contest, or it may erupt into blows. Only in the rarest circumstances, however, is a chance confrontation debilitating or fatal.

Being generally self-sufficient, and instinctive hunters of large game, Caethar-Din disdain the use of beasts for riding.

Pts Modifiers (-1 Limit for package deal advatages)

6 1D6 HKA: Reduced Penetration, Short Weapon (15)[6]

4 +6" Running 2x END (12)

1 11 DEX (21 max) (3)

-1 18 INT max

2 +5 PRE (25 Max) 5

3 +2 PER (6)

2 Ambidexterous (5)

2 Nightvision (5)

-5 Colorblind

-5 True Carnivore: see new disads (-5)

9 Total Cost

Base Max

10 STR 20

11 DEX 21

10 CON 20

10 BDY 20

10 INT 18

10 EGO 20

15 PRE 25

10 COM 20

Base Max

2 PD 8

2 ED 8

2.1 SPD 4

4 REC 10

20 END 50

20 STN 50

6+6" Run 10+10"

Fangs & Claws 1/2D6 HKA

Nightvision

+2 Perception

True Carnivore

Ambidexterous

Common Disads:

Pts Disad

10 Agressive

10 Won't ride animals.

There are of course plenty more breeds to choose from' date=' Norwegian Forest Cats would make a hilarious sub race, but this list must stop somewhere.[/quote']

Based on our one they'd be good-looking, and friendly, but clumsy and a wee bit dim :D

Cat-people often seem to have a code of honour but to me that does not seem to match the feline character. I would expect a cat's ethics to be highly personal and based more on affection and emotion than particular rules of conduct.

From Girl Genius: "This is an ethical question, right? Because I'm a cat and we don't do well with those." :D

cheers, Mark