Atlantis? What do you do with it?

Jkeown

How do you handle Atlantis? I'm just starting to introduce it in my Sunday Game, and I'm interested in its history in your campaigns. I've read everything about it in CU, CKC and other books, so I know the Official stuff....

I think it will be a fun arc, in a game that won't have any sort of meta-plot. All my other games feature long-drawn out stories, I think I want my Champions game to be very episodic.

Re: Atlantis? What do you do with it?

Atlantis exists in my campaign and it is similar in back history to the standard, but 1) It's almost unknown by the surface world 2) it is almost totally isolationist.

My group does not know about it; it is a secret to most of the super world. That will change eventually. I'm thinking of involving them in a Doctor Destroyer story (Undersea base and they don't like it). This is only a vague idea right now. They will never get involved in the surface a lot as a race; some individuals might.

It is not Attuma!

OK, basically I've only used it as a source of characters, and most of those came from "outlying communities" rather than from Atlantis itself.

Bad Guy Atlanteans are always an option. Nazi Atlanteans are highly suitable for the Golden Age, and the individuals in question could be around for decades afterwards.

There is no reason why there couldn't be other sentients hanging around in the seas either. Just a few options: some kind of Alien Fish-men, Lemurian offshoots, a mutant Atlantean strand or some bunch of Elder Worm descendents.

Pirates are an option. Pirate Ghosts are a more extreme version.

Really, the question is: what do you feel like doing with it?

To date I've only used Atlantis as character background, although I am tempted to run an "invasion of the surface" story arc one day. :)

I like to run a modified Champions Universe, and have mostly been using a blend of the 5E version of Atlantis from Hidden Lands, and the 4E version from the Atlantis sourcebook. The two books actually have a high degree of compatibility, especially in the timeline from the Golden Age to the present - not surprising, since Darren Watts cites Patrick Bradley's creation as a big influence on his own take on Atlantis. But 4E Atlantis supplements the 5E version in a lot of areas: more cultural details, more NPCs, Atlantean magic spells, enchanted items, and constructs, and more underwater races and creatures ranging up to kaiju level. A lot of that material is easily adaptable to a fantasy setting, as well. I recommend 4E Atlantis to any HERO gamer planning on significant use of the underwater realm.

Several members of the Sharkmen are Atlantean. Black Tip,White Tip,Woobegong, and Sand Tiger are political exiles and are in league with the Aquaficer. My Atlantis is descended from an alien world and their technology is more super science than sorcery. However, I have retained the basic physical description and stats as it is written in "Hidden Lands". Force Aquarius has run into them the most and has twice encountered Aquaficer and his Sharkmen.

I've only used it for my Pulp setting, and only for a con event "Depths of Evil." The conceit was that the Deep Ones were contacted by Nazi occultists, and provided them with "Atlantean" magic and metal to make super-u-boats, as part of an unholy alliance to wreak havoc on the navies of the world. Atlantis was really just a bunch of undersea ruins, little more than local color. (Though Unterseehaven Atlantis does have a really nice ring to it.)

I think my plan is to have some villian or group disrupt the on-going negotiations between Atlantis and the UN. Who is a good question. I've had one of Teleios' Cloned Soldiers try to assasinate a non-superpowered Atlantean visitor and the IHA attacked one of the mutant heroes. The PCs have conflated the two events, so I might try to justify the IHA having a beef with Atlantis. I do not think that's too far out of bounds. They may view the near-human Atlanteans with the same eyes as mutants. I feel Teleios and the IHA would not work together, but for one to find the other working toward the same goal might be fun. The PCs, too, might enjoy being caught in the middle as the Clones and the Mutant-haters try to maneuver.

The next step, clearly, is to plan Atlantis' reaction to the assasination attempt, would they send a few superpowered heroes to complicate matters or cut off dealings with the landers? Obviously, if they retreat beneath the waves, the story is over. So what other Atlanteans have powers? I'm thinking they should have a supergroup and a Batman analog, plus several solo heroes... any of them taking a serious interest in the suface will draw Stingray and a few solo Atlantean villians to Millenium City... and viola... those folks who hate or fear Atlanis will have a field day.

Now the campaign has all these undersea-types using MC as a proxy battleground. The PCs won't know any of these strange visitors and misunderstandings will pop up like toadstools after a downpour.

Thanks for your input, both past and future!

I developed my own timeline for Atlantis, and then the official stuff came out and I took it and modified it to fit.

Closest Atlantis came to being "outed" was during WWII when they sent reinforcements to deal with Nazi U-Boats, the Queen fighting alongside Uncle Slam (and other contemproraries). Eventually they had a fling, which caused the Queen to become pregnant. As she was married to the king, she made Slam leave Atlantis and promise to never come back. She needed the king to think it was his own child, as they had no heirs.

Last mission, the team tracked a time-travelling U-Boat, fought nazi villains, and discovered Atlantis for themselves, along with its rich history.

They are currently on the brink of making themselves known. They fear that the surface-dwellers are ruining the oceans beyond repair and feel isolationism is no longer an option. Either they assault mankind and bend them to their will, or they diplomatically connect with the outside world.

Coincidence that Uncle Slam has resigned his PRIMUS commission and has announced his candidacy for President? Hmm....

I'm not too sure either at this point; the only thing that makes me think I need to deal with it is that my son's character in our bi-weekly game has an Atlantean origin, but his character comes from an alternate dimension they call Atlantis. So once he gives me all the details, maybe I can figure out the campaign world's Atlantis and link it to his character's version. Since he's exiled from his dimension, maybe he can find a ravaged version and help the survivors work to rebuild? Hmm...

Soak Atlantis in Salt Water at room temperature or cooler for 10 to twenty thousand years....occasionally set volcanic or atomic heat to simmer, see if Atlanteans have turned a deep blue or rich green, if not, continue....

Shake with world war until particles escape to surface, add spices....

How do you handle Atlantis? I'm just starting to introduce it in my Sunday Game' date=' and I'm interested in its history in your campaigns. I've read everything about it in CU, CKC and other books, so I know the Official stuff....[/quote']

It did a Barrel Roll prior to sinking below the waves, impacted the seabed the wrong way up. No survivors.

No, i dont use Atlantis in any way or form.

How do you handle Atlantis? I'm just starting to introduce it in my Sunday Game, and I'm interested in its history in your campaigns. I've read everything about it in CU, CKC and other books, so I know the Official stuff....

I think it will be a fun arc, in a game that won't have any sort of meta-plot. All my other games feature long-drawn out stories, I think I want my Champions game to be very episodic.

In my Stellar Knights Campaign, Atlantis was an Ancient City where one small group of humans as contacted by the last remaining Stellar Knight, hiding on earth waiting for the genetic heritage of the Stellar Knights to merge with the amazing potential within humans to produce a new generation of Knights. He hoped the future members of this new generation would then take up the war against the Stellar Lords that had raged shortly after the formation of the Universe. He shared some of the technology with those humans, seeking to build up a civilization based on the ideals and beliefs of the Knights, one that would be in place later when the powers showed up, and led them to the last enclave and Fortress the Knights had established on Earth long ago, while mankind was still evolving. Sadly, his mastery of probability control and prediction failed in this matter, and internal conflict and calamity led to the destruction of the city through conflict, makign the 'Teacher' realize that it would take social and physical evolution of mankind as a species to be ready for this role. Survivors, fragments, and a few isoltaed sections that fell in the OCean were all that were left of the City. One Segment Teacher managed to preserve, and by use of his powers moved to a crash sight of a fallen Stellar Knight ship, off the oats of what woudl be called North America, and began his wait through the long centuries, subtly manipulating the evolition of man and history hoping to rebuild the order to take up the fight against the Dark Age that holds the rest of the galaxy in chains.

Stubborn, he made one smaller scale attempt that still did not end exactly as he wished with a warrior and his group of followers, Artorius, and a sword called Excalibur..

Found this online....

I was able to find out that the sea levels have risen for some 100-170 meters during the last 10.000 years…..the pre-historic dwelling locations which have been sunken all these years lead me to believe that the issue is not where a unique "Atlantis" was located, but how many "Atlantis" incidents there were around the world due to the global sea level rise.

Question: If you make Atlantis a globe spanning civilization of high achievement that fell into ruin in the past of your game world, does that make your game "Post Apocolyptic?"

Lucius Alexander

This palindromedary descends from one my grandfather brought back from Egypt, which he had off of a man who claimed the breed dated back to time of Ramses....

It occurs to me that one good reason a villain never ACTUALLY lays waste to a major city is because most countries have more than one, and the rest of them mobilize to kick your butt out of direct retribution.

However, Atlantis is little more than that one city, so a villain could, say, obliterate Atlantis without having to face much in the way of vengeful retaliation; a handful of Atlantean refugees probably wouldn't scare a would-be master villain as much as, say, the results after wiping out a fair chunk of a major US or European city.

Basically, if a villain levels Atlantis, everybody else is likely to THINK about what's going on rather than just going all Gung Ho Kick Yer Ass.