Your Dream Projects For Hero Books

Susano

Re: Your Dream Projects For Hero Books

Yarg. The bloody thing is written. The bloody thing is laid-out. The only thing the bloody thing needs is a frickin' artist who won't frickin' flake out on us and frickin' disappear every frickin' three months. :mad:

Sweet Mary Joseph, I want this book!

Have you contacted any of the artists that worked on Iron Kingdoms to see if they have any unaccepted stuff lying around? Doubt if Privateer Press has signed any of those artists to anything more stringent than Right of First Refusal. Anyone who buys and plays this genre is going to be spending some coin on minis from Privateer anyway; Matt Wilson, the art director, may even hook you up with contact info. :thumbup:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet Mary Joseph' date=' I want this book![/quote']

And I want you to have it!

Have you contacted any of the artists that worked on Iron Kingdoms to see if they have any unaccepted stuff lying around? Doubt if Privateer Press has signed any of those artists to anything more stringent than Right of First Refusal. Anyone who buys and plays this genre is going to be spending some coin on minis from Privateer anyway; Matt Wilson, the art director, may even hook you up with contact info. :thumbup:

Hmmm... that's a good idea. I'll bring it up with my publisher. Thanx!

Comments a few people have made have led me to think that collecting all my Star Hero material from DH into a single volume would be a fun idea. It'd be a fairly short document (probably only warranting PDF release), but at least it'd be something. :)

Comments a few people have made have led me to think that collecting all my Star Hero material from DH into a single volume would be a fun idea. It'd be a fairly short document (probably only warranting PDF release)' date=' but at least it'd be something. :)[/quote']

If Hero Games was cool with it I'd say go for it. Putting all the Terran Empire related items in one place (including the snippets cut from TE itself) would make a nice supplement for people using that setting.

You might have to leave out the TE-era Star*Guard, though. That may be covered under Cryptic Studios' purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bunch of dream projects I'd love to do for Hero (or see done).

1) Metahero. This is a book about modifying the Hero System in ways not covered by the rules. It starts by taking all the characteristics, skills and powers apart and seeing what smaller elements they are made of, and finding new ways to combine then to form new powers and skills. I have a bunch of notes on this, but have never really gotten into it.

2) Ultimate Crafter -- The Fantasy Hero rules for making magic items are not only poorly designed, they place unfair penalties on a player. If a magesmith in a standar Fantasy Hero setting wants to make a wand that does a 1 1/2RKA with charges, he's expected to permanently spend character points in its creation. A gunsmith in the old west just has to make a skill roll to do the exact same thing. This book would look at a dozen different ways to build things, and how they might fit into different genres and campaigns.

3) Special Effect Mechanics -- Special effect interactions are supposed to be a major part of the game, like electrical bolts turning into area affect underwater. The trouble is, most GMs gloss over this as it takes too much effort. This book would provide a standard list of special effects, and rules for GMing interactions between them. It would also give rules for creating your own interaction matrix or modifying the existing one.

4) Hero Book of Damage -- A book that looks at the successes and failures of Hero's damage system and extends it with optional rules to cover cases that may turn up but aren't standard rules. Comparing attack to defense as all or nothing doesn't adequately model erosion, for instance, which is usually fine, but sometimes a problem. I've also gotten into arguments with folks about how much damage you have to do to destroy a planet, vs kill all live on it, vs drill a hole through it. I would also love to see a set of critical hit tables that don't simply 'disable' a limb, but actually impose game penalties on skill rolls or actions until healing is done.

5) Hero Book of Disadvantages -- When making a character, coming up with good disads can sometimes be difficult. I've been compiling lists of Physical and Psychological disads from off the net and I've found that when you give someone a list of several hundred disads to choose from, they find it much easier to think of some that fit their conception.

... and I'm sure there's a half dozen others I've though of over the years. For example, I'd love to see a skill chart that resembles the language chart in that it shows the relationships between skills and how points in one can count as lesser points in another. Actually, I'd love to see the language chart recast into a form that isn't so mind wrenching to figure out, and I'd put the skill chart in that same form.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm... that's a good idea. I'll bring it up with my publisher. Thanx!

*taps foot impatiently*

*looks at watch*

*checks calendar*

*still waiting* :nonp:

A book with Hero conversions of old, classic D&D adventures (as well as other printed material). Just a few dozen adventures for Fantasy Hero would be a nice step. Source material and adventures are critical to building a following for a fantasy game.