Art question

teh bunneh

OK, I'm one of those types who doesn't really care how wonderful the art in a gaming book is. As long as it's functional, I'm good. I'm also not much of an artist myself, so I don't really know what kinda art people look for in a game book. So I'd like to ask a favor of the visually-oriented gamers out there.

Take a look at these pieces. Let me know, if you saw this style of art in a gaming book, you'd think:

1. "Hey, awesome!"

2. "Pretty good."

3. "Functional."

4. "Not so good."

5. "WTF? That's terrible! What kinda monkey-scratchings are these?"

Comments about the specific pieces are OK, but mostly I'd like to know what you think of this particular style. Thanks! :thumbup:

Re: Art question

I'd rate it a three on average with one point up or down depending on the specific piece. If it is for a gamebook it would probably be in grayscale which might effect the posterizing somewhat.

If I might suggest something, putting the minis on some kind of miniature background, in line with the adventure or write up, might grant them a more interesting quality.

As thumbnails, 4-5; as expanded images, I'd start with the Witch figure at 4, and improve by one. Thor = 3; Seeker = 2. The Nornan figure conveys a more-than-accidental subtlety and drama, 1.

Regardless of the origin of the image or how it came to be what it is, it's got something going for it that sets it apart.

IMO.

The treatment is good, the subjects on the other hand I'm not so sure about. I use a similar treatment for a book that I'm working on now. You can find directories of public images or cruise to any given ren-fair for fantasy style subjects. I would like to see how some live models turn out.

As pics, 3. They're there, they don't get confused with fire hydrants or something. :straight: Some of the effects used on minis don't seem to come through well in that medium (like highlights).

Based on the pics, I'd imagine the minis *as minis* are in the 2 or 1 range. :thumbup:

I like nice clean B&W art most of the time. The pics in the old Champions I-III books and old supplements (especially the Mark Williams pics), V&V and the like are good for me. Even with big Jeff Dee thighs. ;)

If a book is going to have color pics, they should be GOOD color pics. Colored Storn pieces, stuff by Elmore or Keith Parkinson, that sort of thing. Rendered blurry pieces with muddled colors isn't worth it.

As pictures, about a 3.5. As minis, 3. I can't draw very well, but given a a well scuplted mini, people tend to be very impressed by my painted minis. I tend to paint them so it looks like any second they can move. Would post some, but have no digital camera (yet) and have a poor scanner.