I need Post apoc Gang names

lensman

Re: I need Post apoc Gang names

Every time I see this topic header I keep thinking of the "Boy Named Sue" effect, where a gang deliberately picks a sissy- or nerdy-sounding name and then just DARES anyone to make fun of it:

The Daisy Patrol

The Puppy Lovers

The Desert Roses

The Street Geeks

The Vulcan Scholars

The Bruce Brigade

The Band of Lavendar

Not sure exactly how such people refer to themselves so I've gone for an eclectic selection.

Blaze Devils.

The Blood Eyes.

Sh*t Kickers.

Heaven's Demons

Pipers.

Boom Squad.

Machete Brethren.

Black-Jacks.

Or in an icy area - The Tundra Birds. (T-Birds for short).

The Springfield Chamber of Commerce

Frankly, that would scare the hell out of me. The Rippers, The Devils, The Cannibals-all those make sense. What the #^&@ is wrong with people who rule the wasteland by calling themselves the Springfield Chamber of Commerce.

Most of teh above miss the element of religion or politics. Who says that gangs have to be teenage toughs? And how far ahead of today are you going? The name could be lost "in the mists of the time before" quite easily. The Springfields Chamber of Commerce seems fine. The gang name should come from something they all do or have in common, like old Batman thugs.

Why not something baroque... "The Hatted Brothers", all wearing items raided from some forgotten clothing store. Or if they have a derelict cathedral for a base the plain old "The Botherhood", "The Sisterhood"? That usually works. Try dipping into colloquial English such as "The Gandymen" or "The Jinglers" perhaps, (a corruption of Jongleurs) where gang members get in by telling stories?

You want really scarey? Imagine a Pratchett scene with a group of post apocalytic Morris Men or Line Dancers? I know, that's more Cthulhu that GAMA, but still...

Frankly' date=' that would scare the hell out of me. The Rippers, The Devils, The Cannibals-all those make sense. What the #^&@ is wrong with people who rule the wasteland by calling themselves the Springfield Chamber of Commerce.[/quote']

Extreme situations drive normal people to extreme measures. It seems to me that the people most likely to call their gang anything other than "the gang" would be those who don't think of themselves as a gang at all.

Along similar lines:

Oakville Police Department

Pulaski County Volunteer Fire Department

Libertyville Hero Gamers Association

Frankly' date=' that would scare the hell out of me. The Rippers, The Devils, The Cannibals-all those make sense. What the #^&@ is wrong with people who rule the wasteland by calling themselves the Springfield Chamber of Commerce.[/quote']

This line of reasoning reminds me of a sketch from the very earliest days of Saturday Night Live. It was a takeoff on the old commercial for Smuckers Jam, "With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good." Various of the Not Ready for Prime Time Players would come in promoting their jams. First up had one called "Fluckers," obviously parallelling the original commercial. Then someone else one-upped him with a jam that was obviously better because it was named "Painful Rectal Itch." Then came the guy with jam called "Ten Thousand Widows and Orphans Devoured by Rats."

The final "winner" never revealed the name of his jam, although everyone else who read the label withdrew with expressions of extreme disgust. Except for Chevy Chase who just said, "Yeah, that's good jam."