Menton is up

yamamura

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Menton is up

I don't know why there is a compulsion to increase and make visible the brain for mental powers - brainiac, those monsters in D&D, the Martians in Mars Attacks.

Comic artists don't feel the need to make physical manifestations of other powers - you don't see flamethrower arms for fire powers, or speaker hands for sonic powers - invisible supers aren't covered in mirrors. Why do mental powers require an obvious visual clue?

I don't know why there is a compulsion to increase and make visible the brain for mental powers - brainiac, those monsters in D&D, the Martians in Mars Attacks.

Comic artists don't feel the need to make physical manifestations of other powers - you don't see flamethrower arms for fire powers, or speaker hands for sonic powers - invisible supers aren't covered in mirrors. Why do mental powers require an obvious visual clue?

Well....

the Martians in Mars Attacks were cool......:D

other than that.....it is kinda like how movie makers always seem to "improve" stories, comics and books they are adapting into big shiny t*rds that flop. They are smarter than us common folk :ugly:

I'm going to laugh if his sister Mentalla ends up being drawn as a stereotypical swimsuit model/comics babe except with a bulgy veined hairless head.

The helmet design on Dr. Destroyer is VERY reminiscent of the corrupted future version of Dr. Fate's helmet in Books of Magic. Like, possibly seek-permission-from-DC-Comics-and-Paul-Johnson-level reminiscent.

I'm going to laugh if his sister Mentalla ends up being drawn as a stereotypical swimsuit model/comics babe except with a bulgy veined hairless head.

The helmet design on Dr. Destroyer is VERY reminiscent of the corrupted future version of Dr. Fate's helmet in Books of Magic. Like, possibly seek-permission-from-DC-Comics-and-Paul-Johnson-level reminiscent.

Dr. Destroyer is almost Identical to Doctor StrangeFate of the Amalgam 'Comics'. The 'Meta Mutant' Dr. Charles Xavier Master of the Mind and Magic.

Ironclad is up now and they are now 0 for 4 in terms of making their concept art look like a) it fits the Champions Universe, B) it matches the writeup that accompanies the artwork and c) fits in the super hero genre (well ok Defender fits sort of although he looks more Paladin with spandex bits than power armor).

None of the art they have shown i've liked. Dr. Destroyer looks good but not for Dr. Destroyer unless he's been revamped from a power armor character into a mage. Which is doubtful since Cryptic seems to be using the PnP writeup nearly word for word whether their art matches it or not.

Even Stronghold didn't look right. What they showed of Stronghold doesn't look like the super advanced high tech prison that they say Stronghold is. It looks like a 19th century castle.

Pity I was looking forward to the game, now not so much.

The secodn image of ironclad I liked--it seemed to suggest a period before he escaped the games. I'd like to see a more heroic pose and image--the first seemed more of him in the gladiator pits, more savage than heroic, but then perhaps fitting. It's possibly salvageable...as long as he doesn't keep the sword in the game.

The secodn image of ironclad I liked--it seemed to suggest a period before he escaped the games. I'd like to see a more heroic pose and image--the first seemed more of him in the gladiator pits' date=' more savage than heroic, but then perhaps fitting. It's possibly salvageable...as long as he doesn't keep the sword in the game.[/quote']

It's actually a pretty damn good gladiator outfit, but I don't care for the art.

JG

I saw the thread that Ironclad was up (I had missed this one), went to take a look, gave my opinion (basically, he looks like a WoW reject :thumbdown ).

Then someone mentioned Menton, and I finally had the time to look the artwork up.

WTF!?! :nonp:

Sorry, no amount of retroconning can save that lame-a$$ piece of artwork. I've seen better concept art coming out of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. :mad:

Looking at the progression of art they've been putting out, I'm seeing a direction, and it's straight down the toilet bowl.

The truly sad part is that's the artwork that Hero Games will likely be using from now on. :(

I saw the thread that Ironclad was up (I had missed this one), went to take a look, gave my opinion (basically, he looks like a WoW reject :thumbdown ).

Then someone mentioned Menton, and I finally had the time to look the artwork up.

WTF!?! :nonp:

Sorry, no amount of retroconning can save that lame-a$$ piece of artwork. I've seen better concept art coming out of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. :mad:

Looking at the progression of art they've been putting out, I'm seeing a direction, and it's straight down the toilet bowl.

The truly sad part is that's the artwork that Hero Games will likely be using from now on. :(

The TRULY sad part is that they're still a vast improvement over some of the art Hero was using. ;)

JG

Technically' date=' yes. Conceptually, not so much [/quote']

Pretty much says it all.

Mind you I am still going to adopt a "wait and see" attitude. But each new release has me loosing confidence.

Kind of like picking up a Superman or Spiderman comic and seeing Kids Next Door style art. The art may be good, but it just isn't saying SUPERHERO to me.....or Villain for that matter...

I would like to adopt the whole "wait and see" attitude, but so far, what I've seen doesn't make me want to play the game. The only one I like so far is Defender and even then, it is more of a Flash Gordon vibe than a power armored superhero vibe. My initial excitement at the Champions Online project is waning fast.

The real issue though is how I can make my own characters look.

Straight from old issues of Adventurers Club to your computer screen, it's Mentalist Boy, from Stick Figure Theater!

Somebody better tell Chris Avellone they stole his idea. :winkgrin:

Seriously, this is a marketing decision, and they're marketing to kids. (A) "Kids like gross and freaky stuff, let's make him look ugly-weird" (B) Pull out USPD and turn to page 84, then page 158, then imagine the reaction of overprotective parents to a character who looks that sexy, and has "romantic adventures" like that --- "You can't show that to my precious little darling!"

It's all marketing driven; the whole site is.

Oh, and as for the others? Dr. D's helmet looks silly---metal molded to look like a bellydancer's veil, Ironclad looks like he's being humped by a couple of turtles, and Defender is wearing rigidified spandex. Oh, and those blue things on the side of his helmet look like stylized basset-hound ears.

Ye gods, what a collection. :thumbdown

Seriously, this is a marketing decision, and they're marketing to kids. (A) "Kids like gross and freaky stuff, let's make him look ugly-weird" (B) Pull out USPD and turn to page 84, then page 158, then imagine the reaction of overprotective parents to a character who looks that sexy, and has "romantic adventures" like that --- "You can't show that to my precious little darling!"

Well, that may be too far to the other extreme but there's gotta be a happy medium.

J

The more I see of the art, the more I am convinced that Cryptic just took some original concept art (both for characters and locations) that they were going to use for the Marvel MMO and just did the "minimal" amount of tweaking and filing of the serial numbers so as not to be sued.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet hard cash an exchange something like the following took place -

"So guys. We need to bring Menton in. Got any art that screams "I'M A MENTALIST!" ?

"Uhm... hang on, let me check the files. I think I saw something... oh yeah, here we go, Pulsating Brain Boy!"

"Perfect!"

"Say, don't we want to look at the background for the original character?"

"Who cares? We own the IP now, change the background to fit the art."

I am less and less impressed as we go along.

:thumbdown

If Foxbat doesn't look like what he's supposed to look like, I will completely wash my hands of the whole thing and delete the links and forget it ever happened.