Who is the best Super in comics?

Adventus

Re: Who is the best Super in comics?

There are so many' date=' hence the whole genre thing. My favorite would have to be Dr. Strange, but I like so many that he leads only by a nose hair and he is a supermage. He defends dimensions, yet can be taken out by a thug with a blackjack. He has died and fought his way from the nether realms. Also, all the mumbo jumbo spells were very cool and added an element of consistency to the stories. Worked for me, but maybe not for everyone else. When Marvel Essentials came out I ran out and bought Dr. Strange, 1st.[/quote']

Good pick. The story of Arrogance, then loss, then redemption through enlightenment that is Doctor Strange's is one of the best Marvel has told. Wish I'd remembered to put that one on my own list.

SUPERMAN.

I truly regret that I have not yet had the opportunity to do an homage to him in a game.

I would include Spider-Man, but Joe Q has destroyed him, and Captain America, but the way Millar and Joe Q destroyed him (literally AND figuratively), I can't bear to even pretend Marvel has a single good point to its existence.

DC

Nightwing, Red Arrow, Green Arrow, Batman, Black Canary, Oracle, Luthor, Ra's Al Ghul, Deathstroke

Marvel

Nova, Iron Fist, Nightcrawler, Beast, Colossus, Shadowcat, Ms. Marvel, Thing, Dr. Doom, Arcade, Ultron

Invincible, Atom Eve, the cast of Dynamo 5, Wildguard

For some reason I've always liked Green Lantern. If he has the will and the imagination, he can do it. (The yellow limitiation was cheesy, but they had to limit him somehow.) I also loved the oath "In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light!" Loved it and still do.

I think the Joker is an excellent choice. There is just something about him. I would even put him with Doom.

And I willnot punish the character of Spider-man because of what an editor has done to him. He is a brilliant character and he survives in spite of the editor. I do not read his comic, but I do go to his movies and watch his cartoon show. The Spider-man I am referring to is the Spider-man pre-stupidity.

I am a huge Tick fan. But as a character, he is pretty simple. I love him, though.

I also loved the oath "In brightest day' date=' in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"[/quote']

Trivia: this version of the oath originated with the Golden Age GL, not with Hal Jordan.

Googling around, I've found the following discussion of GL oaths, which appears well researched.

Every character has been messed with at some time or another, made almost unrecognizable by some writer's take on him or her. But going by a kind of averaged gestalt of stories, I gotta go with Spider-Man. A crazy amalgam that I might have vetoed for a Champions game, but somehow the character and archetype that nails superheroes best for me.

Superman comes a close second, marred only by having to be an exemplar of Good for so many values of "Good" that he ends up a little cardboardy a few times too often.

"Heroism" to me is all about self-sacrifice, or risk on behalf of others. Superman's invulnerability may lose him points in the risk department, but IMO he is unquestionably a hero. He certainly sacrifices much, in terms of time, effort, and accepting a role on behalf of all humanity. Sometimes to an extent that's hard to understand.

Peter, though... he risks, he sacrifices, and somehow - even though I've rarely if ever seen him think of himself as a role-model - his motives seem more human and understandable. More someone I can identify with, I guess.

Aunt May, (pre Civil War because Civil War was stupid, I'm also referring to Aunt May from the Spiderman Movie. )

Every true super HERO needs a true moral compass to stabilize his judgment from right or wrong.

That is a so good and true. Must rep!

As a character, and I don't consider him to be a true hero, I always liked DC's Orion.

Hal's still my fav anyway ;)

And good find

I realize I might be tared and feathered for saying this, but I really dig Kyle. He has the ultimate weapon with an awesome imagination, but is very inexperienced (also explains my fondness for Shazam's Captain Marvel). Besides I like Hal as the Specter.

As far as the OP:

Iron Fist. From what I hear his origin has been messed around with, so if this no longer applies I apologize, but...

His father was in search of a "Forbidden City" and was betrayed and killed, his mother sacrifices herself to save him and the natives of the "Forbidden City" take him in and teach him martial arts. He has to defeat a destructive force to prove he is worthy of being the Champion of the Forbidden City.

I dunno the geek in me who spent whole Sunday afternoons watching Kung-Fu Theater on USA (right after the Cartoon Express ya old fogies may remember) just digs it.

However, my favorite character in the Marvel Universe, even if he's NEVER been written well and is ALWAYS treated like a punk b**** is Taskmaster.

Spidey, Doom and Storm.

SPidey and Doom have been covered above.

Storm has the guts and integrity I love to see in a comic book character. I started reading X-men when she had no powers. Didn't stop her being one tough, gutsy hero. She was knocked down but she was never out. (And they give Wolverweenie the healing factor, go figure.)

Spidey, Doom and Storm.

SPidey and Doom have been covered above.

Storm has the guts and integrity I love to see in a comic book character. I started reading X-men when she had no powers. Didn't stop her being one tough, gutsy hero. She was knocked down but she was never out. (And they give Wolverweenie the healing factor, go figure.)

Actually losing her powers was what made her a tough gutsy hero. Before that she was always whining about being a goddess.

Good guys

Mike Allred's Madman

The Flash (Take your pick I really liked them all)

The Legion of Superheroes (Don't make me choose!)

Bad guys

Ra's al Ghul

Riddler (Run, Riddler, Run)

Magneto

For overall appeal to me, though, Sandman and the Endless are the greatest.