Who is the best Super in comics?

Adventus

Re: Who is the best Super in comics?

Spider-man

He'd have to be a strong character to survive all the crap that Marvel has put him through over the years... from clones to deals with the devil.

I would say that his origin is the best. And I'm not talking about the "bitten by radioactive spider". The whole Uncle Ben thing... it was just classic.

This topic asks the following question:

Who do you think is the best character in comics, period?

I am not asking best in terms of powers or kewlness. I am asking which is the best thoughtout, with a good storyline and balanced powers.

Spider-Man has been somewhat ruined for my by Marvel, but man, let's tip our hats to the origin story. "With Great Power comes great responsibility" is now forever a part of pop culture.

Batman's own origin and background are equally classic and have withstood the test of time.

I would nominate Captain America Steve Rogers, but I admit I'm biased. I still think Cap , ESPECIALLY after being frozen to become a man out of time, hit a certain zeitgest.

Three best? Touchy, there are a few out there.

1: Usagi Yojimbo. Honour and nobility exemplified.

2: The Revenant from PS 238. Think of a laid-back Batman, crimefighter par excellence and professional kid sidekick trainer.

3: Really trying for a villain here, but a lot of the mainstream ones have ups and downs that kinda push me away a bit. I guess I'd have to go with Magneto when he was starting; similar ideas to Professor X, but wanted more immediate results. And that's more from familiarity and the Evolution series than anything else.

Spider-man

He'd have to be a strong character to survive all the crap that Marvel has put him through over the years... from clones to deals with the devil.

I would say that his origin is the best. And I'm not talking about the "bitten by radioactive spider". The whole Uncle Ben thing... it was just classic.

It's a cliche, but only because everyone else saw how good it was a copied it.

The Thing.

Ben Grimm rules.

I'd also add Stargirl/Courtney Whitmore, the Astounding Wolf-Man, and Hellboy (if he counts as a super character).

Once used to have major love* for Captain America and Thor, but I doubt I'd even recognize either character any more.

* -- Not that kind, you pervos. :nyah:

Please note I did not specify hero or villian. so don't limit yourselves to just the Heroes.

Well, I like a lot of 'furry' characters, and if we can choose villains, then I'll go with DC's Cheetah (though I wish DC would drop the whole "has to eat human flesh" thing). And while 'not a villain', Tigra is also cool.

I adore Doctor Doom when he's written well. How the heck they mixed Gypsy heritage, mad science genius, a mother in hell, a throne awaiting a master, and envy turned into ever lasting enmity in one guy and made it come out so well I'm not sure. He's practically the bridge between Pulp mastermind and the modern genius supervillain.

Supers

1. Superman: Truth, Justice, etc., etc.
  2. Captain America: A Red, White, and Blue boyscout with the muscle and reflexes to back it up.
  3. Hi Opal! (Really obscure reference. PM me if you just have to know.)
  4. Spiderman: A (genius-smart) regular Joe with regular problems, and superpowers.
  5. Thunder Bunny: As far as I know, one of the first furry superheroes who wasn't also a funny animal.

Villains

1. Catwoman: The reason I can say "catsuit" and everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about.
  2. Herr Doktor Viktor Von Doom: The prototypical evil genuis in powered armor.
  3. The Monarch! Yeah, I know he doesn't have his own comic but if the Venture Brothers had their own comic, he'd make it worth buying.
  4. Phantom Limb: Pretty much same as above, but what a cool character concept.
  5. Emma Frost: Evil woman in Dominatrix clothing. Nuff said!

If we're including villains too, then it's a tough call.

Dr. Doom is such a complete and wonderful character with such a rich history, and his general visual still works. He's a true original; often imitated, never duplicated. The all powerful monarch with the resources of an entire country at his command is a great idea, and nobody pulls it off with the style and the threat of Dr. Doom. He gets punked way too often.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is The Joker. To my mind, no other villain captures the essence of truly chaotic evil (no, that's not a DnD reference. The ultimate psychopath, he comes in the disguise of joy- the grinning, laughing clown- and subverts it into a horrifying image. He suffers from overexposure these days, but at his essence is a fantastic and deep character. Why doesn't Batman kill him? He can't: The Joker is the Devil on Earth.

Heroes:

1. Big Blue!
  2. Black Widow (Original)
  3. Daredevil
  4. Iron Man
  5. Mr. Fixit
  6. Nightwing
  7. Oracle
  8. Batgirl (Current)
  9. Sue Storm Richards
  10. The Winsome Wasp (Original)

Villains:

1. Harley Quinn
  2. Poison Ivy
  3. Bullseye
  4. Mystique
  5. Lady Shiva
  6. Ras Al Guhl
  7. Lex Luthor
  8. Dr. Doom
  9. Black Cat
  10. Mysterio

Guest Goradin

There are so many, hence the whole genre thing. My favorite would have to be Dr. Strange, but I like so many that he leads only by a nose hair and he is a supermage. He defends dimensions, yet can be taken out by a thug with a blackjack. He has died and fought his way from the nether realms. Also, all the mumbo jumbo spells were very cool and added an element of consistency to the stories. Worked for me, but maybe not for everyone else. When Marvel Essentials came out I ran out and bought Dr. Strange, 1st.