Name Something You'd Allow That The GM At The Convention Didn't

I've always wanted to go to a gaming convention, bring my 5th Ed. Champions character in a nice binder, front some cash (I assume you have to pay), and game the day away with a bunch of strangers.

But I've never actually been to a convention. Ever. They just don't happen for me locally and/or conveniently.

Still...if I could...

Anyway, one thing that ruins the whole idea for me is: What if my beloved Champions character has something the GM doesn't allow? Granted, I'm careful about rules abuse, but I can only bring just so many alternate versions of my character with me "just in case".

So, for you convention-regulars (and irregulars) I ask you this: When have you shown up at a gaming convention with your tried-and-true character sheet in tow and nothing (you think) abnormal about it, only to have the table GM say "Sorry, I don't allow that" while you stand there in shock with a little word bubble saying "WTF?!" over your head?

Re: Name Something You'd Allow That The GM At The Convention Didn't

Well, there was the time that we encountered a series of trapped pillars, and I got the bright idea to tie a rope around the waist of the PC who was doing the trap-testing and then yank him out of the way if I saw something bad about to happen to him. Problem was the GM decided that he shouldn't allow it. Not with a DEX check, not with a Reflex save... nothing.

I was very, very embittered at that game.

There's a reason I only run games with pre-gen characters. When you're playing in your living room with friends, you usually get a chance to look at the characters ahead of time, check for creative math, and make sure the characters balance against one another (either by hand or by using campaign limits, or whatever). There's a fair amount of front-loading that goes on with a good campaign or module.

At a convention, unless you want to hold up the game for an hour out of the four-hour slot, you need to weed a whole lot faster. This means that if you've minmaxed your character (as any experienced player will), there will be complex constructions on your sheet that will strike a GM as "this reminds me of something problematic I have seen before" - maybe if the GM takes the time to number-crunch, it'll turn out to be ok, but that's time at a convention you just don't have.

Also keep in mind that while you may be playing character construction straight, players who come to BYO convention games are notorious for trying to pull one over. (That's not a specifically HERO phenomenon - I've heard more horror stories from D&D GM's.) It's like having a substitute teacher, some people always need to see what they can get away with.

If you really want to be safe, stay away from stop sign powers and frameworks. Maybe do a thought exercise of "What would this character look like if I built in only from Sidekick."

I have not been to a con in almost fifteen years, but way back, I don't recall ever playing a con game that let me bring my own character. On the other hand, I've fielded characters other GMs allowed in their games and insisted on rebuilds more than once, and have tweaked my own designs when sitting in on other gamemaster's games on occassion, too.

I remember these as being at Cons, but not if it was the same GM.

First, and Elemental Control had to have a special effect of Earth, Air, Fire or Water. Period. List closed.

Then an NPC flying at an altitude of 2" was immune form a AE, radius attack. "it forms a circle on the ground, not a hemisphere. It's called Area Effect, not Volume Effect."

Had to be two seperate GM's as I cannot imagine staying at the table long enough for someone to get to the second one.

What I didn't allow that a player argued about longest, he had bought Distinctive Features five times. On a character with a Public ID. "Anyone touching or tasting your character is already going to know who he is." Same character's kryptonite was plastic. Was put into GM's option by an agent in a Kelvar vest. That was in the 80's. GM's option is GM's option, and I'm choosing he's still in the freaking coma.

Like Karmakaze, all the games I run at conventions use Pregen characters. Don't even ask if you can bring your own character. Heck, I don't even allow people to bring their favorite characters from other games into my regular games. I've seen it way too many times:

Player: Captain Mighty has a spaceship that he didn't have to pay points for, because he stole it from the Magma Men.

GM: Uh, no, he can't have that. There's no Magma Men in my campaign for one thing, and for another you're all supposed to be starting characters, for a third there's no spaceships, and for yet another...

Player: But my old GM let me have it

Nope. Never happen again. Never ever never. "I was in this one campaign where my character was this, and I want to play him again" is an automatic "Come up with another concept" at my table.

I don't bring my characters to conventions to play in other peoples games.

For one, the Setting is as much a part of my characters as what's written on the sheet. I don't see many, if not all, of my characters fitting into a different campaign.

For another, half the fun is playing with an essentially fresh character I've never seen and coming up with a personality to use.

I've not played in a lot of Con games, but all of them used pre-gen characters. Usually because the setting was built around the pre-gens (or the pre-gens were built for the setting). I certainly wouldn't want to try and deal with looking over 4-6 350-point supers for a Con Game and hoping all went okay.

In the last 20 years, I've only played in two Convention games (same convention, same GM, same system -- Hero System! :D) that didn't have pre-gens, and I built mine from scratch for each right at the table. Both were 150pt games, one Fantasy Hero, one Star Hero. I didn't try anything overly broken in either.

I did give each one 4 overall skill levels, however. ;)

I've not played in a lot of Con games' date=' but [u']all[/u] of them used pre-gen characters. Usually because the setting was built around the pre-gens (or the pre-gens were built for the setting). I certainly wouldn't want to try and deal with looking over 4-6 350-point supers for a Con Game and hoping all went okay.

I would agree with you there. In the Con games I have run (about seven or so), I have always provided pre-gens. I've offered to pre-approve characters (via email, or whatever), but have had no takers.

My reasons are two-fold. First is balance... it is a lot easier to create appropriate challenges when you know the characters. Only second is the time factor.

I have played in Con games that allowed you to bring in a character (I can think of a couple of Shadowrun games that I have done so)... I also remember the GM saying "I am not allowing Stun Ball in any future Con characters." (I was playing a dwarfish sun shaman in that Shadowrun game... something about being able to take down most of the adversaries with a single attack upset him. ;) )

Heck' date=' I don't even allow people to bring their favorite characters from other games into my regular games. I've seen it way too many times:[/quote']

If I have a character that I didn't feel was played enough in a previous campaign (due to moving, campaign folding and whatnot), I'll talk to a new GM about using the basic concept and do new version of the character. A couple of my characters have been reboots of previous ideas, but tailored to the new campaign.

Sort of like the Golden/Silver versions of DC heroes or the Normal/Ultimate versions of Marvel Heroes - the basic concept stays the same, but details of origin background and such are switched to fit the new campaign, and it is a new character with no history.

If I have a character that I didn't feel was played enough in a previous campaign (due to moving, campaign folding and whatnot), I'll talk to a new GM about using the basic concept and do new version of the character. A couple of my characters have been reboots of previous ideas, but tailored to the new campaign.

Sort of like the Golden/Silver versions of DC heroes or the Normal/Ultimate versions of Marvel Heroes - the basic concept stays the same, but details of origin background and such are switched to fit the new campaign, and it is a new character with no history.

That might be allowed in my games. If it were a character that you'd never played before that also might be allowable. I've just had several bad experiences (both as GM and as a fellow player) when someone came into a game with a character that they had played in another game. Nobody was happy.

That might be allowed in my games. If it were a character that you'd never played before that also might be allowable. I've just had several bad experiences (both as GM and as a fellow player) when someone came into a game with a character that they had played in another game. Nobody was happy.

Yeah.

I tend to like characters that have long playing lives. If one is cut short it just annoys me, so I sometimes reboot a character (this is in home games, not con play - never been to a con). I've done it twice with good effect (Black Cat was one of those, Meeb the other.. for those that have followed comments about my characters). When I do such things, I keep the base concept, and everything else is tied to the new world. I would never insist that previous events still happened... unless the character was coming into a campaign late, and then I would go over my characters history and see what elements would fit with the campaign world (if any), and just incorporate those into the background.

I've always wanted to go to a gaming convention, bring my 5th Ed. Champions character in a nice binder, front some cash (I assume you have to pay), and game the day away with a bunch of strangers.

But I've never actually been to a convention. Ever. They just don't happen for me locally and/or conveniently.

Still...if I could...

Anyway, one thing that ruins the whole idea for me is: What if my beloved Champions character has something the GM doesn't allow? Granted, I'm careful about rules abuse, but I can only bring just so many alternate versions of my character with me "just in case".

So, for you convention-regulars (and irregulars) I ask you this: When have you shown up at a gaming convention with your tried-and-true character sheet in tow and nothing (you think) abnormal about it, only to have the table GM say "Sorry, I don't allow that" while you stand there in shock with a little word bubble saying "WTF?!" over your head?

Yeah it is a spoiler...all I can say is stay away from "!" and stops...aftwer that....you never know......

On the Con games front...I've always allowed "Bring your own" and had few problems...I bring a half dozen in case we can't fix any problems found....and I think it makes things more fun for the players....

I have been a GM at cons before and I can tell you it's always difficult to GM when you allow players to bring their own character no matter the game. However I do take cash bribes as I do need to feed my kid and his Role Playing Game & Dice collection habit.

But seriously as a Convention GM I usually have 12 characters pre-written up for a 6 man game. Player are always free to look across the spectrum and I have rules on character creation. If a player can provide something similar and follow my balance rules then his character would fit in just nice.

BTW I have never done a Convention as a GM with the HERO system but I hope I can someday.

I certainly wouldn't want to try and deal with looking over 4-6 350-point supers for a Con Game and hoping all went okay.

Me, either. That's why I look over two dozen 350-point superheroes in my annual GenCon Bring Your Own Brick game. :)

RPG01143, Friday 8/15, 8am-noon, Union Station Southern Room.

I should also note that, in my case, at least one of my settings is explicitly designed to be novice-friendly. For that setting, the pre-gens are also necessary, because walking someone with no familiarity with the system at all through character gen is not necessarily a good launching point. My convention pre-gens also are often simpler than I would play or allow for a regular game. One of the random factors at a convention is who's going to be filling the table. As a GM, that means that I need to be able to field HERO oldbies and someone who may never have roleplayed before at the same table. (Sure, you may put "experience required" on the description, but that's not enforced in any way) As a player, it means being aware that the person sitting next to you might be able to rulemonger you into the ground or be totally intimidated by your homebrew character sheet. Your convention GM may not just be balancing from a number-crunching standpoint, but also against what will streamline or complicate gameplay for that module.

I hav e to say, based on past experiences, I'd skip any 'bring your own' character games at a CON. Maybe there are some GM's out there who can do character review in a decent amount of time, and make sure all characters come out roughly equal, but my past experience has been very different. It either eats up all the time, or the GM lets in very uneven characters (favoring hsi buddies in the worst cases)..and it just becomes a waste of time.

The best CON games had pre-gens, or we played iconic CU characters. One memorable game I was in, the team played the ultimates, saving the world when the heroes screwed up in the Great Super Villain Contest. I had so much fun playing Binder.

Me' date=' either. That's why I look over [b']two dozen[/b] 350-point superheroes in my annual GenCon Bring Your Own Brick game. :)

RPG01143, Friday 8/15, 8am-noon, Union Station Southern Room.

Yeah, but you have that ace up your sleeve. Anyone who looks out of whack is used by you as the opposition.