Heroes from All Fifty States

Egyptoid

Re: Heroes from All Fifty States

Just a few...

Minnesota (concept)

How about a water-based heroine called Minnehaha ("waterfall"), Minneiska ("white water") or Minnetonka ("big water")?

Illinois (concept)

Nucleon the Nuclear Man (Illinois is ranked first in nuclear power)

Georgia (concept)

Speedster = Chatanooga Choo-Choo? :)

Dr. Salem is pretty cool but what about a Brick called Plymouth Rock for MA?

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect to anyone whose worked on these....

But a few of these hero names kinda need some more thought:

Captain Colorado?

What about a Rocky Mountain/A-Basin/Boulder/Bighorn (State Animal) type Brick or a Captain America homage called Centennial (Colorado is the Centennial State dontchaknow) or a fun good-guy(girl) who uses jokes for freedom called Lark (State Bird).

In fairness, though, I created Captain Colorado on a whim (or a lark you might say). I just got the idea of creating a costume based on the flag. I didn't really see him as a character, per se. I had no idea other folks would want to start making flag-suited state heroes as a result. I certainly had idea it would grow into its own thread.

Now, having said all of that, Centennial is a great name for the character. Maybe the current character, the one with the cape, is Centennial. Maybe the original Captain Colorado, the one without the cape, was the state's hero in the Silver Age.

Miss Wyoming?

Why not call her Meadowlark (State Bird) or build a Brick/MA called Bison (State Animal) or make her American Indian and call her Cheyenne (Capitol and largest city)... And here's the one I can't believe anyone picked up on... A powerhouse called Yellowstone. :)

I was actually considering calling her Equality, since that's the state nickname (The Equality State, state motto is "Equal Rights"). But Bison works, too. I had, in fact, pictured her as a speedster/Brick (swift as the winds that blow down from the Great Divide, strong as the buffalo that roamed the Great Plains).

Great suggestions, both.

Georgia (concept)

Speedster = Chatanooga Choo-Choo? :)

Problem, while so close to Georgia's border you can spit, Chatanooga is in Tennessee, as is, I believe, the terminal that inspired that song.

EDIT: Ah, someone beat me to the punch.

Just had to protect our trains.

;)

regarding the various ideas and pics about Jake Xmith and alternatives - all interesting ( I like the growth idea) and by all means if someone who lives there as opposed to the opposite end of the globe wants to replace him, do so - I'm not greedy.

( and yes, I knew New York State is much more than the city, but hey, nothing wrong with stereotyping comic heroes. Bub. :D )

Oh what the heck, we could use a mentalist so...

From the "Empire State of the South" comes..well, the man known as Empire

Xix Klin Torvan sighed. Being able to use his powers after all this time was wonderful. Ever since he had arrived on this far flung planet, it had been like being gagged and blindfolded. Now, with this deal with the governor, he had finally gotten a legal (and as the human saw it, even ethical) way to use his powers upon those who were abusing the rights, freedom, and properties of others, at least in preventing the same.

What he did not like was the posing, posturing, and pretense he was going through to do it. He had a legal identity as a human, Zoltan Klein (He had picked the name himself only to discover it was NOT typical), created for him. Very well , that was probably for the best. He was hiding his alienness even in costume because the Governor wanted the people to think a 'native Georgian' (as if such a thing in Atlanta were now the norm) was their superhero. He had ended up dubbed 'Empire' after the state's nickname as 'Empire of the South' (Peach, he had assured them, was right out) and it did hint at his ability to read, influence, and even control minds.

Fine.

But being forced to go to these social functions were he was put on display, pestered and bothered by self important people with delusions of grandeur and the luck to have fooled the rest of their species into going along with that delusion? Really, it was...annoying.

"So you really have MIND powers, eh?" Harvey Brinkerman, an odious little man with a bald head and an over priced suit continued to pump his arm up and down in the ritual human hand shake. "How about showing us something?"

By her husband's side, Harvey's wife fidgeted with embarrassment. A lovely being aesthetically, Torvan knew the criminals of his race would surely take advantage of her comparatively weak will.

Torvan, however, was not a criminal. Nor was he a bad guest, even if his host was an entire state in a balkanized world with conflicting political bodies. So despite how she caught his eye, he respected their custom of exclusive pairing and did not flirt.

Insults from her mate, however, was another matter, "You doubt me?" He arched a brow.

Harvey shrugged, "Oh, I'm sure you have some sort of hypnosis or something, but you must admit, at least the other heroes fly, or lift tanks, or something." the man patted him on the shoulder as if joshing, but Torvan knew a social power play when he saw one, "I mean, no one SEES your power. Seems kind of impotent to me."

"Bad Alien! Impolitic Alien!" The purple faced Assistant Governor ranted while Empire stood still and let him. The AG continued, "We do not, repeat NOT, have one of our major campaign contributers strip in the middle of a gala and sing 'I'm a little Tea Pot short and stout' while you inform his wife that he had an affair..."

"Point of order, I did more than inform, I let her share his memory of his last encounter with his mistress as evidence," Empire corrected.

"That's not any better!" The Assistant Governor put palm to his own face. An interesting gesture that, very human. "He was a contributer!"

"He's an ass. An insecure little man with entirely too much power and too little compassion for anything beyond his own needs. A hypocrite of the highest order, and he was using this administration as if it were an object to barter for rather than the people's chosen leaders," Torvan replied coolly. "Stand strong against him, and the governor can be appropriately offended by the scandals and corruption in the man's company."

"What, what scandals in the company?" The AG paused.

"I was in his mind, remember? I'm thorough. Brinkerman has been cheating on his tribute...excuse me, taxes, for over a decade, and his company is violating numerous safety codes. Begin an investigation, I'll tell you the best places to start. The governor will easily twist this into how no one, not even his contributers, are above the law, and how this administration values ethics and law over wealth. By the time you are done, Brinkerman will no longer have the power to hurt your own powerbase, and re-elections will be assured," the aliens words were matter of factly stated, almost pedantic, as if he were speaking to a student.

"That...that might work," The Assistant Governor realized."We'd need the information..."

"I'll have it 'Emailed' to you," Empire said, and straightened his outfit, "Now, excuse me. I have been invited to tea by the soon to be Ex Mrs Brinkerman."

"You.. you have?" The bureaucrat started.

"Yes, she appears to be grateful for my telling her, informs me she is in need of 'comfort', of my company, of course, I don't presume, " Empire answered before walking for the door with a smile, "Despite the fact I used no mental commands on her, somehow it seems she does have 'Georgia on her mind'" The door closed behind him, leaving the A.G. to get started on the many layered intrigues of rule.

Such intrigues were once common to the ex prince, but for now, he'd leave them to others when he could...even if they were less suited to it.

Has anyone done anything for Pennsylvania yet? Being a son of the Keystone State, I've often thought about what sort of heroes we might get, though my ideas seem to fall rather short of many of the ones suggested here:

Keystone -- either an earth/stone powered brick or an earth manipulator. He should certainly be unmoveable when he puts his foot down, and personality-wise should be the glue holding a team together.

Furnace -- an old idea, another brick. He can transform himself into metal, is hard to hurt, and absorbs fire to make himself stronger (but cold hurts him). Basically an updated version of Joe Magarac.

Liberty Belle -- oh, come on now. Either sonic powers or 'Liberty/Freedom' powers courtesy of the Spirit of Liberty (which would make for another good thread, since I ran out of ideas very early on...).

Someone should have gotten empowered from the Kecksburg 'UFO' Crash AKA Pennsylvania's Roswell. Hey, aren't space aliens always leaving some of their uber-tech behind with random individuals in the comics?

The Experiment -- one of the sailors on the Eldridge during the infamous 'Philadelphia Experiment', now he can manipulate dimensional energies in a multitude of ways. His powers aren't always reliable, though, and there's always at least a piece of his body occupying another dimension (leaving him with a see-through look -- ugh!), though he personally thinks that the last 60+ years worth of changes are more startling than anything that's happened to him.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Has anyone done anything for Pennsylvania yet? Being a son of the Keystone State, I've often thought about what sort of heroes we might get, though my ideas seem to fall rather short of many of the ones suggested here:

Well, a set of twins for Ohio and Penn. was suggested in this post

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1642653

Though I like some of your ideas better I think..., and Egyptoid told folks that if more than one option is proposed they could have a vote off.

I really like your concept. But I would like to also put a hero into the running for Arizona.

Jacob Zeldenthuis, which translates as "seldom at home", was a third generation prospector and spent most of his life looking for that one big elusive vein of gold in the Arizona deserts. Over the past 120 years, the mother load of many fables and legends, that many say never even existed, has cost many prospectors their lives. Unfortunately, among those lost included Jacob's father and grandfather. That is the lure of The Lost Dutchman's Mine.

Jacob never did find the mine, but instead ended up finding more than he ever dreamed of at the bottom of a deep cave which no white man had ever set foot in. He accidentally stumbled upon a site held sacred for generations by many of the local Native American tribes. Throughout the millenia, the site would only appear during times of gravest peril and traditionally only the strongest and bravest of warriors would enter. Undergoing many personal and spiritual trials, the ancestors of previous warriors and heroes found Jacob worthy and trusted him with their gift. They infused him with the Spirit of the Land. When he pulled himself out of the earth, Jacob found himself changed, found himself rejuvenated and found himself with a new purpose in life. Now he is the protector of all of the lands of the southwest and from this time forth is known as The Lost Dutchman.

Pretty cool.

:thumbup:

Problem' date=' while so close to Georgia's border you can spit, Chattanooga is in Tennessee, as is, I believe, the terminal that inspired that song. EDIT: Ah, someone beat me to the punch. Just had to protect our trains. ;)[/quote']

At least when Hermit was chancellor the trains ran on time.

Georgia' date=' Ohio, and Pennsylvania are up. (HERE)

I tried to follow the description for OH and PA.

I took liberties with their masks and hats :D

Very nice work. I also like the fact that you've included flags for all the state not yet represented. However, I feel obligated to point out that if you asked the average Nebraskan to show you their state flag, it'd probably look something like this:

MNA2901f.jpg

I'm just sayin'....

Very nice work. I also like the fact that you've included flags for all the state not yet represented. However, I feel obligated to point out that if you asked the average Nebraskan to show you their state flag, it'd probably look something like this:

MNA2901f.jpg

I'm just sayin'....

I've got peopel from Nebraska on my wife's side...and you are right.

THE HUSKER could be a pretty mean hero. But what would he husk..bad guys? Yikes! Maybe he could have a HKA, useable only on armor.

"Come here, and lets get that husk offa yo9u."

<>

Mm, let me count my contributions, to see how many areas I'm hogging

Arizona: Wind Talker- Navajo wind manipulator. I should make a backstory. Is not the only Arizona submission.

Nevada: Silver Line- Former enforcer, reformed, now using his silver skinned frame and power for good.

Idaho: Gem Stone- Powered Armor guy who's materials give the suit a gem like appearance. No real backstory.

Oklahoma : Oklahoma Express- Speedster, inspired to state pride in no small part by the Oklahoma City Bombing.

Louisiana: Red Stick- No powers, but super strong fighting sticks, self taught near peak of humanity etc etc yadda yadda

Tennessee: Volunteer- Promising football hopeful falls victim to cancer, finds fluke cure that grants superman on a budget type powers.

Georgia: Empire-Human looking alien prince with vast mental powers.

Mississippi: Valor- Shield slinger, may be a 'costumed athlete' may have low grade super powers (ie a pocket brick)

New Jersey: Jersey - Devil motif. Maybe amnesiatic, may be true demon. Found in Pine Barrens.

Massachusetts : Doctor Salem - Superhero mystic, I need to flesh out his background some.

Looks like ten.

Mmm, I HAVE been a tad greedy :o

I've got peopel from Nebraska on my wife's side...and you are right.

THE HUSKER could be a pretty mean hero. But what would he husk..bad guys? Yikes! Maybe he could have a HKA, useable only on armor.

"Come here, and lets get that husk offa yo9u."

<>

IIRC the team colors are Red and White yes?

My thought?

Call the Nebraska Superhero "Red & White"

Just make the hero a duplicator who when he splits, his costume shifts so one of him is in Red, the other in White (Could be all over, could just be costume). They then use their nearly ridiculous teamwork skill to put the mutual beat down on whoever opposes them. Perhaps the people of Nebraska scared the politicians into taking him despite the fact his colors don't match the official state flag ;)

I was hoping noone would bring up football iconography.

I was reluctant about Michigan, and that's another reason

I was so glad the guy went the way he did on Alabama,

I got so sick of the roll tide versus rocky top crowd there.

anyways, that's enough sentences started with the word I for now.

Yikes! Maybe he could have a HKA' date=' useable only on armor. "Come here, and lets get that husk offa yo9u." <>[/quote']

that is righteous! Armor Drain as husking

As for my contributions:

Indiana - I lived there 18 years

Arkansas - hogged it (razorbacked it) ?!?

Alaska - followed the description

Ohio - followed a description

Penna - followed a description

Delaw - borrowed it from Enforcer

N. Dakota - borrowed from Baloo

plus I'm going to do some demographics....

"Now, excuse me. I have been invited to tea by the soon to be Ex Mrs Brinkerman."

"You.. you have?" The bureaucrat started.

"Yes, she appears to be grateful for my telling her, informs me she is in need of 'comfort', of my company, of course, I don't presume, " Empire answered before walking for the door with a smile, "Despite the fact I used no mental commands on her, somehow it seems she does have 'Georgia on her mind'"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I thought you were riffing off the old Ray Charles song, but I was delighted when you pulled off that word play.

Rep to you! :thumbup: :thumbup: