Heroes from All Fifty States

Egyptoid

Re: Heroes from All Fifty States

The Texas Hero' date=' Plasma Ranger, was posted bach in the A DC Animated-style HeroMachine thread before the current thread even existed. There are a couple of others who originated over there too, but I'm too lazy to look up the links at the moment. :D

How about Lone Star. Kinda sounds like a natural name for a Texas hero.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for tuning in Folks

===================

Recent Changes: HERE

updated Ohio and Pennsylvania

posted Nebraska

posted Maine <<=== Please Help Me Name him !

Posted Vermont <<=== Please Help name him too.

posted Minnesota

And We Need Some Runoffs:

There were 3 submissions each

for North Carolina, Illinois, and Missouri.

Please go to the bottom of this page CLICK

after a break there is a VOTER section,

the page isnt interactive, so you have to

then post back here your preferences.

As always, if anyone has better ideas, please submit them.

thanks again to all participating, there's more to come...

As for me, I'd pick:

NC: Kitty Hawk

IL: Chicago Chief

MO: Missouri Turbo (Mostly to keep the duo with Kansas intact. Otherwise, Gateway Girl.)

That's my $0.02.

(PS: Could you please change Captain Colorado's name to Centennial and Ms. Wyoming's name to Bison on the gallery? Thanks! :thumbup: )

posted Maine <<=== Please Help Me Name him !

My suggestion?

Maine: Guardian (Since Ranger might be confused with Eco Ranger)

Vermont: Unum ("Unity" is part of the state motto IIRC)

[/b]

Please go to the bottom of this page CLICK

after a break there is a VOTER section,

the page isnt interactive, so you have to

then post back here your preferences.

As always, if anyone has better ideas, please submit them.

thanks again to all participating, there's more to come...

My votes are:

North Carolina: Kitty Hawk. I was going to say Tarheel, but the South looks a bit short on fliers. We have plenty of weapon wielders in that group, so the pirate would be my last choice despite the coolness factor.

Illinois: The Captain, because the visual is so cool...though I wish another name could be found.

Missouri: Gateway Girl, though at first I thought she was a teleporter instead of a telepath.

My picks...

NC: Kitty Hawk (I've always loved the name, and it seems only appropriate that the hero from the "First in Flight" state should be a flier; plus, the wings in her pic are quite wonderful.)

IL: Supercollider (My husband's a nuclear physicist...what can I say, I'm biased toward the radioactive! I like the bulbous, disturbingly organic-looking armour, though l'm not thrilled with the stark yellow face.)

MO: Bagnell Catfish (Hell's bells, he's distinctive, at least, and based on a Missouri tall-tale...and if I weren't prepared to vote for him, I shouldn't have submitted him in the first place.) ;-)

While I think both Gateway Girl and Missouri Turbo are very appealling characters visually, and well-conceived and thought out -- I really like the set-of-twins concept that goes with the two Turbos -- there's a certain...generic-ness...that goes with being a red, white and blue State hero. Like many of the state capitol buildings across the country, flagsuits have a tendency to look, well, rather similar.

Bagnell Catfish was my attempt at doing something a bit...different. Dig his long catfish whiskers! Of course, as a State hero, he may lack a little something in the dignity department....

As I posted before why not call her:

Minnesota (concept)

How about a water-based heroine called Minnehaha ("waterfall"), Minneiska ("white water") or Minnetonka ("big water")?

:)

OOOPS!! Sorry, I didn't notice that someone had already "laid claim" to the state. :o

OK, Egyptoid, you'd better pull my picture and wait for GoldenAge to do his. :)

Bagnell Catfish was my attempt at doing something a bit...different. Dig his long catfish whiskers! Of course' date=' as a State hero, he may lack a little something in the dignity department....[/quote']

Is there an appropriate state left for Catfish, because he is pretty darn cool. Wasn't it Okie Noodling that was the documentary on reaching under submerged logs bare-handed to pull out the whiskery critters? (quick Googling, yep) Guess that doesn't help, because OK already has a hero.

Thanks for tuning in Folks

===================

Recent Changes: HERE

updated Ohio and Pennsylvania

posted Nebraska

posted Maine <<=== Please Help Me Name him ![/i]

Maine: Hache (French for "Axe"; there are French speakers along the Maine/Quebec border)

Vermont: - - - - sorry, my mind freezes up at the idea of ultra-tech combined with Vermont. I can't get past that bizarre juxtaposition.

posted Minnesota

As I noted above, I inadvertently stepped on GoldenAge's toes, so please remove this.

North Carolina: Tarheel---I like using state nicknames. My second choise would be Captain Albemarle, though it would help if his skin color were either normal, or more thoroughly "undead".

Illinois: I can't in good conscience vote for any of these.

Missouri: Gateway Girl. Again, I'm voting for the state nickname (well, the unofficial nickname, "The Gateway State" as reflected in The Gateway Arch).

BTW, am I the only one who would expect the "twins" of Kansas and Missouri to spend most of their time beating the **** out of each other? Or am I the only one to remember "Bleeding Kansas" and how the Border Ruffians of MO tried to turn Kansas into a slave state and how they managed to f*** up Kansas's attempts to enter the Union for nearly a decade? Seriously, Kansas's and MO's heroes being twins?? WTF is with that idea?

BTW' date=' am I the only one who would expect the "twins" of Kansas and Missouri to spend most of their time beating the **** out of each other? Or am I the only one to remember "Bleeding Kansas" and how the Border Ruffians of MO tried to turn Kansas into a slave state and how they managed to f*** up Kansas's attempts to enter the Union for nearly a decade? Seriously, Kansas's and MO's heroes being twins?? WTF is with that idea?[/quote']

I believe they call that 'Sibling Rivalry'. It'd sure spice up the book! :D

And, as long as we're talking about relationships between the different heroes, I think it's fair to say that Colorado's hero would probably have a big crush on Rhode Island's. After all, Colorado's state motto, Nil sine numine, is usually translated as "Nothing without Providence"'.... :winkgrin:

I believe they call that 'Sibling Rivalry'. It'd sure spice up the book! :D

More like 'Sibling Kill Each Other Hatred'. :winkgrin:

And' date=' as long as we're talking about relationships between the different heroes, I think it's fair to say that Colorado's hero would probably have a big crush on Rhode Island's. After all, Colorado's state motto, [i']Nil sine numine[/i], is usually translated as "Nothing without Providence"'.... :winkgrin:

Interesting translation. According to my Latin/English dictionary, numine (numen in the Nominative Singular) means "nod; will, consent."

I agree one should take the position of "nothing without consent" with regard to personal relations. :yes: But there's nothing specifically about R.I. in that motto.

:winkgrin:

Interesting translation. According to my Latin/English dictionary, numine (numen in the Nominative Singular) means "nod; will, consent."

I agree one should take the position of "nothing without consent" with regard to personal relations. :yes: But there's nothing specifically about R.I. in that motto.

:winkgrin:

Wow, your Latin is a lot better than mine. Of course, my Latin is based primarily on two years of Spanish in high school and what I've been able to glean from science classes in prefixes and suffixes.

Still, I'm impressed.

Is there an appropriate state left for Catfish' date=' because he is pretty darn cool. Wasn't it Okie Noodling that was the documentary on reaching under submerged logs bare-handed to pull out the whiskery critters? (quick Googling, yep) Guess that doesn't help, because OK already has a hero.[/quote']

Perhaps he could be the hero for America's rivers, swimming up and down and across the country to wherever he's needed. That would cover a lot of water, so make sure he has plenty of Swimming.

Heroes from All Fifty States - and the Major Territories

thanks for all the votes people

I'll call it done in a couple of days.

+ Organized Territories

been done:

* Puerto Rico (commonwealth) (done)

should be done: * United States Virgin Islands

okay if no one does them

* Guam

* Northern Mariana Islands (commonwealth)

G'day Mates! Sea Dragon Here! Fighting Crime Down Under for the State of Victoria! Bonzer!:sneaky:

¡Saludos!

Let me join Mar Dragón, excuse me, Sea Dragon, in reminding the citizens of the USA that their country is not the only one to call its divisions "states."

As well as Australia, the people of Mexico have "states." In fact, the country is officially "Estados Unidos Mexicanos": "The United Mexican States."

And here is La Heroína Oficial de Sonora, The Official Heroine of Sonora, La Protectora del Desierto!

2sao0gg.png

So, will the other 30 estados be done? Or the other 5 states of Australia?

I'm not Mexican. I thought some USAns needed a humorous poke to remind them the USA is NOT the only country in the world. ;)

¡Saludos!

Let me join Mar Dragón, excuse me, Sea Dragon, in reminding the citizens of the USA that their country is not the only one to call its divisions "states."

As well as Australia, the people of Mexico have "states." In fact, the country is officially "Estados Unidos Mexicanos": "The United Mexican States."

And here is La Heroína Oficial de Sonora, The Official Heroine of Sonora, La Protectora del Desierto!

2sao0gg.png

So, will the other 30 estados be done? Or the other 5 states of Australia?

I'm not Mexican. I thought some USAns needed a humorous poke to remind them the USA is NOT the only country in the world. ;)

nice - nothing stopping us from starting other threads tho - if we include Australian territories, would Christmas Island's rep be a super-powered land crab?

And here is La Heroína Oficial de Sonora' date=' The Official Heroine of Sonora, La Protectora del Desierto! the other 5 states of Australia? I thought some USAns needed a humorous poke to remind them the USA is NOT the only country in the world.

yes indeed, but they already have their own thread, Around the World

Tribe , GMurie, and Arc do good work there. :thumbup:

But Sonora is lovely, she is invited across the border anytime