Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

I dunno' date=' the part of the crust past the toppings is pretty bland to me, no matter what. I usually skip it, unless I can dip it. I kinda miss Pizza Hut's 'Edge' pizza, where you didn't have that border of just-crust around the outside ...[/quote']

If it's a good crust than it's just a good piece of bread. Love good bread...:yes:

If it's a good crust than it's just a good piece of bread. Love good bread...:yes:

This. The crust is the foundation upon which the pizza stands. It should be good enough to eat straight. If it's not, you should probably look elsewhere for your pizza.

I'm not sure what I'd want on a pizza with a hot dog stuffed crust. It would have to complement the flavor of the dogs. Maybe chili, onions, mustard, and cheese. Make a giant coney dog pizza. It would be easier to match flavors if you stuffed the crust with italian sausages.

I'm not sure what I'd want on a pizza with a hot dog stuffed crust. It would have to complement the flavor of the dogs. Maybe chili' date=' onions, mustard, and cheese. Make a giant coney dog pizza. It would be easier to match flavors if you stuffed the crust with italian sausages.[/quote']

I don't think I've ever seen chili, even bean-free chili, on a pizza.

Which reminds me that when I get money again I need to pick up some chili. I need to make some of my chili rice to take to work next week.

(For those who don't know about that, it's really simple. I cook some rice in a microwave-safe casserole dish, top it with chili and shredded cheese, microwave it again until the cheese is melted and the chili is hot, then cut up the result and serve it. It usually makes enough for two or even three meals -- and I probably use portions that are double the size of what I really should be using.)

Huh. I've always just thought of pizza crust as that thing you put the toppings on because they have to go on something.

For most pizzas, that's true. Good crust is a delight, and one I don't often find. I must admit, though, that for all its delightful selection of Pacific Rim foods, Seattle just doesn't have much in the way of good pizza. I haven't seen any in either New York or Chicago styles that rises above what would be good side of average in other parts of the country.

I like pizza crust too much to stuff it full of cheese or meat or whatever. If you need to dress up the crust like that in order to want to eat it' date=' it's obviously not a very good crust to begin with. The crust is the most important part of the pizza, IMHO. If you can't get that part right, I don't care how good your cheese and toppings are, the pizza is probably pretty bad. [/quote']

My pizza crust is seasoned pretty well which makes it worth eating.

I've used pizza crust to wrap hot dogs with before, so this just seems like an extension of that.

For most pizzas' date=' that's true. Good crust is a delight, and one I don't often find. I must admit, though, that for all its delightful selection of Pacific Rim foods, Seattle just doesn't have much in the way of good pizza. I haven't seen any in either New York or Chicago styles that rises above what would be good side of average in other parts of the country.[/quote']

Couple good places in Portland, but I haven't heard of any up in the Seattle area.

Biggest scam? Maybe for the 1%. At your supermarket now, mainly because we've given up explaining the difference between "yellow potato" and "Yukon Gold potato" to customers. (If you can't beat them, though, join them.)

And then there's this one: kale is a wonder food, cabbage is for peasants. They're the same plant, folks!

Couple good places in Portland' date=' but I haven't heard of any up in the Seattle area.[/quote']

I know about Escape from New York in Northwest (the swanky 23rd Avenue district). They serve traditional New York pizza. I don't know of anyplace local where they have good Chicago-style, though.

I don't know what kind of style most delivery and frozen pizzas are. I have a feeling I might not want to.

Biggest scam? Maybe for the 1%. At your supermarket now' date=' mainly because we've given up explaining the difference between "yellow potato" and "Yukon Gold potato" to customers. (If you can't beat them, though, join them.)

And then there's this one: kale is a wonder food, cabbage is for peasants. They're the same plant, folks!

Well, technically, rutabagas, turnips, broccoli, mustard seed and rapeseed are all cruciferous. That doesn't mean they are all the same. (of course, cabbage is loaded with healthy stuff, and sometimes gets a bad rap. Just saying they aren't exactly equivalent)

Well' date=' technically, rutabagas, turnips, broccoli, mustard seed and rapeseed are all cruciferous. That doesn't mean they are all the same. (of course, cabbage is loaded with healthy stuff, and sometimes gets a bad rap. Just saying they aren't exactly equivalent)[/quote']

Lots of edible vegetables are in family Cruciferae. But the relationship between kale and cabbage is much closer than that. Both are varietals of species Brassica oleracea, as are broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, collard greens and a number of other plants. "Kale" probably derives from the Dutch word for "cabbage," because it is literally just a version of cabbage with crinkly rather than flat leaves. This means that it doesn't form a tight ball, and I'll concede that you get a larger share of dark green herbage in a serving of kale than in a serving of green cabbage, and thus more anti-oxidants, but certainly not more than in broccoli or, for that matter, red cabbage.

Now, as a wilting vegetable, it is much nicer in a stir fry with a nice coating of whatever cooking fat you used, but we were talking about its health benefits....

Lots of edible vegetables are in family Cruciferae. But the relationship between kale and cabbage is much closer than that. Both are varietals of species Brassica oleracea, as are broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, collard greens and a number of other plants. "Kale" probably derives from the Dutch word for "cabbage," because it is literally just a version of cabbage with crinkly rather than flat leaves. This means that it doesn't form a tight ball, and I'll concede that you get a larger share of dark green herbage in a serving of kale than in a serving of green cabbage, and thus more anti-oxidants, but certainly not more than in broccoli or, for that matter, red cabbage.

Now, as a wilting vegetable, it is much nicer in a stir fry with a nice coating of whatever cooking fat you used, but we were talking about its health benefits....

Red Cabbage is great stuff. My young daughter actually has a fondness for several vegetables, and I just about high-fived her in the store one day when she asked out of the blue for a head of red cabbage for snacktime. Of course, she gets it with a little side of ranch dressing, but even so it is the sort of snack I hope she always wants. :D

Uh-oh... :jawdrop:

[h=1]Woman’s Coca-Cola ‘habit’ cited in death[/h]

2 gallons a DAY?!

Sounds like me. I have a severe addiction to diet colas and have no idea what to do about it as they don't have detox centers that will take someone for this particular addiction. I know it's affecting my finances and probably affecting my health. I had no idea it might end up killing me.

Consider me scared. Seriously.