Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

51 minutes ago, mattingly said:

396258528_360207183035981_27575830921280

Wait...wait one second!!!!

Those aren't allowed in this thread are they????

I mean....those look GOOD!!!!  Dunno if I'd call them "pies" per se, but who cares about that, really...

BTW:  Story and recipe.  Pretty much what you'd expect, but hey, apples, cinnamon, sugar.  Who needs anything else?  

https://people.com/maegan-browns-mini-mummy-apple-pies-quick-easy-halloween-dessert-recipe-8362734

Speaking of simple desserts...I do this from time to time.

Couple teaspoons butter;  melt in pan

tablespoon or so of slivered almonds or chopped walnuts.  Brown them in the butter

While that's going on, dice an apple of your choice...the Honeycrisp in the recipe above would be good.  Add to the pan, with a light dusting of salt, cinnamon, and sugar or fake sugar (fake for me these days).  How much sugar, that can depend.  Add a dollop of half and half or cream;  this usually helps turn the butter into caramel nicely.  Cook on medium until soft, stirring regularly.  Serve, let cool a bit...hot caramel is NOT something to mess with...and enjoy.  

And hey, if you're not diabetic like me, I bet this'd be AWESOME over vanilla ice cream.

Another option:  I frequently keep a frozen triple berry mix...blackberry, raspberry, blueberry.  Toss a handful of this in when you add the apples.  

I also had a leftover granny smith the other day...so I did a smoothie.  Half of it was the apple;  the other half was the mixed berries.  About 100 grams of each.  Another 80-100 grams of non-fat, plain Greek yogurt.  Shoulda added some almond milk to thin it down...oh well.  Stevia to taste, cinnamon, bit of 5 spice.  It was quite tasty.

20 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

It looks absolutely horrible.

Yeah, the color/texture mix doesn't scream "mouth appeal" now, does it?

The killer...from a culinary standpoint, as opposed to dietary...is gonna be the insane sweetness.  I'll admit to the occasional, insane indulgence of multiple KKs at once...back in the day, mind...sugar's just that way.  But there are *limits*.

I also frequently regretted doing it...sugar OD can be quite uncomfortable.  AND, I'd bet I was already pushing my luck with my blood sugar for *some time*...

Yeah, as you could expect, mostly only the substantial breweries survived...and those that did, rapidly expanded to dominate most of American beer production until the craft beer boom started making serious inroads.  And by market share, they still do.  Combined, ABInBev (largest in the world...Busch, the Budweiser catalog, MANY others), MillerCoors, and Constellation (major Mexican brands) have about 70% of the market.  The craft beer industry in total has about 13%...but much of that is debatable.  What is a craft brewer?  

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/20-biggest-beer-brands-america-122851107.html

The 3 "craft brewers" here are Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, and New Belgium.  Sierra Nevada...maybe.  Still family owned.  Sam Adams...not really.  They were bought by Constellation, and their approach is Big Brand in most ways.  New Belgium is also questionable;  the quality of Fat Tire, for example, is generally considered to be a pale imitation of its early days.  

The craft beer industry is actually still recovering from the pandemic.  There were serious shortfalls in, for example, aluminum for cans and kegs.  The major distributors control a great deal of what's on retail shelves, particularly in gas stations and grocery stores, which have taken over MUCH of the market, at least here.  They've squeezed out many craft brands, particularly non-local.  

On 11/5/2023 at 11:19 AM, mattingly said:

396724601_7237302892948020_3320846342911

Yeah, I would try that, I'm not going to lie. It looks delicious to me.

8 hours ago, Cygnia said:

28 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

"Now fortified with extra Iron!"

If it's iron or even aluminum, that's not a big deal. If it's polonium, that's a completely different story.