Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

On 11/15/2023 at 7:42 PM, Ternaugh said:

Growing up, Mom would refuse to make it (she hated it with a passion), and so I was probably in my 30s before I tasted green bean casserole. I don't need to taste it again.

"Many animal species feed their young with regurgitated food.  Humans do not do this.  However, humans do make casseroles."

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

"Many animal species feed their young with regurgitated food.  Humans do not do this.  However, humans do make casseroles."

Oh my....thank you, I needed that.

A cultural fact that some of you probably didn't know....  The 50s in particular were an age of burgeoning tech, and the promise of how it would make life easier.  It was also the age of convenience foods...they promised the harried housewife a quick, easy meal in minutes.  Quick and easy did not mean good.  I still argue the ultimate abomination was tuna fish casserole.  Hey, I *love* good tuna.  ADORE it.  Fresh, quickly pan-seared around the edges, no more than warm in the middle.  And, of course, a better grade of tuna.  50s and 60s tuna fish casserole was canned tuna (already an abomination of the first rank), canned, condensed cream of mushroom (or possibly celery or asparagus) soup, and...potato chips.  Another staple of the period...canned, fried onions.  IIRC, those went into the green bean casseroles...which used frozen green beans.  <sigh>  

I'm pretty sure I only had the tuna fish casserole assault my taste buds and culinary sensibilities a few times.

I can remember when I had my first real food awakening.  It was a birthday;  at this point, I'm not sure whose.  Might've been my brother's.  We all went out to a nicer (sometimes quite nice) restaurant.  The salad was a wilted spinach salad with bacon and mandarin oranges.  Quite nice.  JUST wilted.  Up to that point...gahhh....the only spinach we'd had was frozen.  YUCK.  This tho...ok, this wasn't the first time I'd had GOOD food, mind, but this was the first time where simple handling of simple ingredients stood out.

I always liked tuna fish and rice, myself.  Tuna mixed into cream of celery soup poured over rice--I enjoyed that as a kid, and eat it every now and again today.  I found some recipes for it online that call for cream of mushroom soup--I don't care for mushrooms, so if my advice means anything to you, stick with cream of celery.

(My advice should mean something here.  After all, I am a Mentor.)  :winkgrin:

The pumpkin pie was made last night...the extra that didn't fit into the crust, just baked in a water bath;  it's a custard anyway.  That was last night's dessert.  The pulled pork for the weekend is all done...in time for a late lunch.  And the chicken parm's finished through the saute stage...all that matters now is the baking, and that's no work.

Enjoy yer turkeys, or hams, or ducks, or whatever your preference.  Even if it's a turducken...............