Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

You're a left coast heathen!

I knew that, having learned it back in grad school. My poor roommate from western Massachusetts was shocked to his old New Englander core when I admitted I preferred berry syrup (or fresh berries) on my pancakes to maple syrup; it was a depravity he obviously had never heard of before. It was the same sort of reaction I would have expected if I'd admitted I'd hung out around middle schools trying to pick up 8th-graders.

Maple syrup is horrid.

Sugar and lemon on "proper" pancakes. American pancakes (the way we get them over here in rightpondia - also known as "drop scones") are generally pretty ho-hum, often verging on the inedible, and I'm sure they must be much better over there to be so poplier.

I'm not a fan of pancakes, but I do enjoy a good waffle with a bit of malt sprinkled in it, topped by lots of real butter and a bit of real maple syrup (grade A, light). Put some good, spicy sausage patties on the side and I'm in heaven. Sweet & salty FTW!

Growing up in New England, I never liked maple syrup.  For pancakes/french toast & waffles, I wanted butter or peanut butter.  And chocolate syrup, but I was misdiagnosed with an allergy to chocolate when I was a kid... :mad:

I think we have to take away your New Englander Card now...

(speaking on syrups, I do love me syrups from various fruits for sure - Colorado I've noticed manages some amazing choke cherry, but anyone who puts that grocery-store quality 'pancake syrup' made from corn syrup on their pancakes deservers a lake of fire.)

Also, what do we really mean by pancakes - the flour based things you get at IHOP, or proper flapjacks made from corn flower?

Saturday I made my first batch of fresh green salsa for this season. In a food processor, one seeded fresh jalapeno, one fresh seeded poblano, half a teaspoon of salt, reamed-out half a lime, one clove of garlic, and as many fresh tomatillos as can be fit into the processor. Whir it around until it's all little bits no bigger than one of those pepper seeds I didn't put in. Pour into glass or ceramic bowl (not metal, and the taste will get into plastic, if you know what I mean) and chill; you can eat it immediately, but it's better if it sits for a couple of hours.

The batch did not survive Saturday night gaming.

EDIT: If you've never dealt with them before, take the husks off the tomatillos and then wash the fruit in warm water (you'll need to use your hands) to get the tacky off of them. Then halve or quarter them and put those in the processor.

Those mac-and-cheese cheetos things look repulsive but I hear kids are very interested in them

A couple brought some to the PDX Game Night at Guardian Games tonight. I didn't inquire.

Whoever came up with it deserves a big raise -- and then to be tied to a chair and force-fed the things until he passes out.

I got my hands on some habanero cheddar cheese last week. Damn, potent stuff. I'm going to use just a little in my mac n cheese this weekend.

Here's the crazy thing, though: the habanero isn't even close to hottest pepper anymore. The Red Savina Habanero rates 500,000 on the Scoville scale. (for comparison, the ubiquitous jalapeno tops out at 8,000 Scoville Units.)

There are nine peppers that now exceed the 1,000,000 Scoville mark! The new record holder is the Carolina Reaper: 2,200,000 Scoville. Truly insane.

https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/top-10-worlds-hottest-peppers/