(WWYCD) Superhero Assaination...

zakueins

"Inspired" by my reading of Black_Summer...

The players discover that a very well-respected metahuman is going to kill the President, VP, and most of the senior staff. Once they've done that, they plan to insist and demand a new round of elections to select a new President.

His reasons as to why he wants the President dead...are valid if you're deeply into a certain set of beliefs (BDS if your President is a Bush clone, "He's too dangerous" if it's President Luthor, etc etc...). He is genuinely sincere and not being influenced/mind-controlled, etc.

Assume the metahuman involved is about as powerful as your team...WWYCD?

Re: (WWYCD) Superhero Assaination...

Yea, but what if members of your team agree with this guy?

I could easily have seen my last gaming group go 50/50 on this on a Bush clone.

It's not much of a question as given. Obviously heroes do their best to stop a murder plot. Hardly a dilemma.

I almost posted something snarky in response to Clonus and then re-read his post - he said murder, not killing. Refusing to murder is just obeying the law. Refusing to kill regardless of provocation (he's got a knife to my kid's neck and I have a clear head shot) could be construed as moral cowardice...

But back to the OP: Someone's been bugging our game again... And the funny part is that my vigilante was against the assassination. At least, right up to the point where the President used his private thugs to murder everyone in a metahuman refugee camp...

I almost posted something snarky in response to Clonus and then re-read his post - he said murder' date=' not [i']killing[/i]. Refusing to murder is just obeying the law. Refusing to kill regardless of provocation (he's got a knife to my kid's neck and I have a clear head shot) could be construed as moral cowardice...

But back to the OP: Someone's been bugging our game again... And the funny part is that my vigilante was against the assassination. At least, right up to the point where the President used his private thugs to murder everyone in a metahuman refugee camp...

What happens after you kill him?

First of all, like the OP said, you have a new set of elections. Hopefully this time you won't be electing a massmurderer (as in that POTUS who ordered the Superhuman refugees to be killed.) Also, Sir Johnstone would probably be in on the plot in the first place. If he is the guy in charge of the plot, and the PCs found out about it, then the plot is obviously a decoy to draw attention away from the real assassin.

Meanwhile, my unnamed new PC (an Iron Man rip-off), would do nothing, bearing in mind that an American citizen can legally own a rifle and a map, even if that map does have markings of the President's route and possible sniper positions on it. Even saying 'I'm going to kill the President!' isn't technically illegal. Besides which, he's currently living in an artificial asteroid/space station in orbit that he has lived in since he was five. Even from birth to when he built the station, he was living in Greece, so he doesn't really care. He deals with alien invasions, so saving one world leader is not on his agenda. He doesn't interfere in normal human affairs.

All my characters would try to stop the person, and if the POTUS is trully bad, try to bring him down legally. If time is an issue and he is trully dangerous, most would just have him "disappear". (yes, that may be killing him, maybe not)

However.... Olorin is a medieval and therefore a wild card. If the guy is bad, he might disappear - into another dimension. If trully dangerous, he'd gather evidence and make it public - and then make him "disappear" -probably kill him. Would do it very public if he had good proof.

What happens after you kill him?

In our game it's a bit more complicatated, the President has been replaced by Malachite (we assume). How do we know the (acting) President isn't really the President? The President is a PC... but this isn't widely known.

All my characters would try to stop the person, and if the POTUS is trully bad, try to bring him down legally. If time is an issue and he is trully dangerous, most would just have him "disappear". (yes, that may be killing him, maybe not)

However.... Olorin is a medieval and therefore a wild card. If the guy is bad, he might disappear - into another dimension. If trully dangerous, he'd gather evidence and make it public - and then make him "disappear" -probably kill him. Would do it very public if he had good proof.

Ah, yes, the old 'disappearance' game. Vigil did it occasionally (and when Vigil made someone 'disappear' you could be sure they were not coming back). Works really good on people who don't have an entire government agnecy looking out for their safety. But when the SS is involved, either you've leave behind a bunch of witnesses...

Or 'disappear' a lot of innocent law-enforcement officials, something that even Vigil shyed away from.

Uncle Slam is currently running for office. He'd assure the would-be assassin that he's the cure to the problem, not a bullet.

Anthem would be stuck. She believes in democracy and realizes that people make mistakes; sometimes that's electing the wrong man. But democracy survives. So she would have to figure out how to stop him. With no contacts and no way to be around the president to protect him, she's stuck shadowing the hero/assailant in an attempt to foil him then.

Every character I've ever roleplayed would have the same reaction to this: the assassin has to be stopped. No amount of corruption justifies killing the (presumably) legally-elected President. Besides, killing the President would just put the Vice-President into power, so if you disagree with the President's policies, you're just putting his hand-picked successor into power, with no new elections involved. Not to mention completely invalidating whatever point the would-be assassin was trying to make in the first place.

"Inspired" by my reading of Black_Summer...

The players discover that a very well-respected metahuman is going to kill the President, VP, and most of the senior staff. Once they've done that, they plan to insist and demand a new round of elections to select a new President.

His reasons as to why he wants the President dead...are valid if you're deeply into a certain set of beliefs (BDS if your President is a Bush clone, "He's too dangerous" if it's President Luthor, etc etc...). He is genuinely sincere and not being influenced/mind-controlled, etc.

Assume the metahuman involved is about as powerful as your team...WWYCD?

All my characters would try to stop him. A few would even warn the Secret Service before hand, though that might not help. If the guy has EVIDENCE of wrong doing by the president, they'd do their best to help bring that to light, but regardless, they'd fight to save the PotUS. As the "hero" in question is more powerful, they might fail, but they'd surely try.

White Knite and Sandor-San are too straight laced: :nonp:

Big fight, and call the authorities e-mediately

Cosmo-Knite is too much of a game-player. :smoke:

He'd go it alone, and try to reason with the guy,

try to get into his head and infiltrate the operation.

If Cosmo can solve the crime before it happens,

then there's only glory for himself.

Sorry' date=' they kill the President before the Assassin could[/quote']

Then you have to switch games or something, since you're not playing super-heroes at that point...

============================

Re-Read this, this was a good point:

No amount of corruption justifies killing the (presumably) legally-elected President. Besides, killing the President would just put the Vice-President into power, so if you disagree with the President's policies, you're just putting his hand-picked successor into power, with no new elections involved. Not to mention completely invalidating whatever point the would-be assassin was trying to make in the first place.