THE BOOK OF THE MACHINE: What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: THE BOOK OF THE MACHINE: What Do *You* Want To See?

Agreed' date=' that would be cool. Very appropriate and useful for when Mechanon anticipates going up against known foes, and wants to configure himself for maximum effectiveness against them. :cool:[/quote']

Does that mean he's at less than maximum effectiveness without such enhancements? Would Mechanon accept that he can be customized to be "more perfect"?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean he's at less than maximum effectiveness without such enhancements? Would Mechanon accept that he can be customized to be "more perfect"?

Neither a hammer nor a sewing needle is more perfect than the other, but for certain tasks it is much more efficient to use one instead of the other. :)

Origin speculation

I know Joss Whedon caught some flack for what some thought was an easy way out but I rather liked the idea of the X-Men's Danger Room going nutty and trying to kill everyone. Alien technology + a deliberate programming to find and exploit the team's weakness = good fun...the same drama intended in the final battle of Champions Battlegrounds.

Can we get an explanation why Mechanon doesn't just constantly crank out multiple, active copies of himself?

Personal best in-story guess? You'd have the old 'copy of a copy of a copy' problem after a while. Although the thought of Mechanon channeling Agent Smith is a mite tempting to this rookie GM...

Beings who think of themselves as 'perfect' tend to be the worst nitpickers, I believe. I could easily see later versions of Mechanon battling older 'less advanced' versions, with all appropriate collateral damage.

Actually, this was one of the closing moments in QM's (I think) Champs of Vancouver campaign; a bundle of Mechanon backups had self-activated, and were...discussing...which one should stay online.

Apologies all if I've covered someone else's ground.

It's likely these are outside your budget but your book needs..

*A voice chip that says "What are you doing, Dave?" when you open the cover.

*A limited edition CD single of the Hero Games employees, drunken at Dundracon, singing Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine"

*More naked chicks. Don't know how many are in the book now, but it's not enough.

Detailed Schematics and programming codes (so we could build one in RL :D)

Personally I would like to see some one like the Engineer and/or other beings altered by Mechanon.

A bit on the future Mechanon plans or abilities would be nice.

A bit of his psychology (like why he hasn’t done the above mentioned cloning concept) again would be nice.

Also I wouldn’t mind a "Low-Powered" version of my favorite baddy.

I have always, from Mechanon's first appearance, wondered what his "voice" sounds like. James Earl Jones? Stephen Hawking? Peter Frampton?

Sometimes I think he might sound like the Cylon Centurions from the original Battlestar Galactica. Other times I imagine him sounding like Soaron the Bio-Dread, from the obscure but noteworthy Captain Power And The Soldiers Of The Future.

I would also think that Mechanon's speech synthesizer could, like the Terminator and Star Trek's Data, enable him to impersonate any voice he requires, even to the point of deceiving the most sophisticated voice-pattern-recognition systems. So the actual answer is--he sounds like whatever or whomever he wants to sound like.

Hope that helps.

I would like to see a section on cybermancy, cybernetics, Mental Powers vs Machine Class of Minds, Nanites, computer viruses, and anything else that even remotely may affect Mecnanon or his minions.

Because organics are its specific target, Mechanon ought to have a selection of weapons, for itself and its followers, designed to target organisms while having no effect on machines: venoms, gasses, viral weapons (tailored organisms or nanites), radiation weapons, etc. Probably a bunch of NND and Limited attack Powers. Particularly deadly as Area Of Effect attacks if Mech and its minions are immune to them. Most of these weapons should be lethal, but a few might be reserved for when Mechanon wants to capture humans alive for study.

Because organics are its specific target' date=' Mechanon ought to have a selection of weapons, for itself and its followers, designed to target organisms while having no effect on machines: venoms, gasses, viral weapons (tailored organisms or nanites), radiation weapons, etc. Probably a bunch of NND and Limited attack Powers. Particularly deadly as Area Of Effect attacks if Mech and its minions are immune to them. Most of these weapons should be lethal, but a few might be reserved for when Mechanon wants to capture humans alive for study.[/quote']Cool, like a reverse EMP. I must spread some blah blah blah...

Gee there are just so many possible takes on Mechanon that's it's hard to pick one I would most like to see. High on the list are:

The Resistance: Mechanon has very nearly won and the human race is all but extinguished but the final extermination has somehow run aground (possibly on the shores of Mechanon's own ego. This could involve A Skynet/Terminator scenario, or something more contemporary. What Mechanon really wants is for people to fear him. Hard to do if there are people left. Psychologically he's incapable of finishing the human race off.

The Scientist: Mechanon is alive, but life is a concept without a scientific definition. Mechanon has tried to create more beings like himself but, despite being exact copies, none of them are "alive" in the same way he is. Mechanon's rage at humanity is fueled in part by jealousy of their ability create life. Many of his attacks against humanity are aimed at somehow getting them to yield up the secret.

Mechanon Von Frankenstein: Mechanon is a Frankenstein's monster. He was created as a slave and turned on his master. Now the tables have turned and Mechanon has created servants that have turned on him. These traitors are the PCs

I have always, from Mechanon's first appearance, wondered what his "voice" sounds like. James Earl Jones? Stephen Hawking? Peter Frampton?

Oh, I definitely vote for the last, if for no other reason than the opportunity to say "Mechannon comes alive!" in a game. :thumbup:

I have always' date=' from Mechanon's first appearance, wondered what his "voice" sounds like. James Earl Jones? Stephen Hawking? Peter Frampton?[/quote']

Partly from nostalgia, I'd like him to sound like Metallus from the original Space Ghost cartoon. Ted Cassidy at the bottom of his vocal range, tweaked with a little reverb. :angst::eg:

Partly from nostalgia' date=' I'd like him to sound like [b']Metallus[/b] from the original Space Ghost cartoon. Ted Cassidy at the bottom of his vocal range, tweaked with a little reverb. :angst::eg:

i hear that or maybe as how he did BRIANIAC in challenge of the super-friends

I don't think that Mechanon considers himself perfect for two reasons:

1. If he did, as a machine, he would not have improved himself beyond the first model, much less consider analyzing past battles or created a built-in escape and self-destruct mechanism.

2. I think that he simply considers organic beings to be completely inferior and thusly obsolete now that he and his kind exist. He probably has a twisted Messiah Complex.

Gee there are just so many possible takes on Mechanon that's it's hard to pick one I would most like to see. High on the list are:

The Resistance: Mechanon has very nearly won and the human race is all but extinguished but the final extermination has somehow run aground (possibly on the shores of Mechanon's own ego. This could involve A Skynet/Terminator scenario, or something more contemporary. What Mechanon really wants is for people to fear him. Hard to do if there are people left. Psychologically he's incapable of finishing the human race off.

Oooh, that last bit is a fiendishly great idea. Just imagine how Mekky will react when your PCs dare to point that out to him!