Brainstorm: what should a spy's safehouse have?

Sociotard

I'm giving a spy a summon base ability. In any given city of sufficient population there is a chance (meaning an activation roll) that his agency has a safehouse set up. I'm envisioning an apartment-sized space set up to look innoculus. It still has a few spy goodies, of course.

I started up buying Disguise and Concealment (so the locals don't know it's a safehouse). Also Lockpicking and Security systems (assuming that Disguise and Concealment make the security systems not look to ridiculous for an apartment)

Next I stocked it with a Bribery lab (representing a small cache of local currency, uncut diamonds and the like, in case he has lost all his other stuff). Also a nicely stocked pantry (life support)

Paramedics Lab, for the obvious first aide kits.

Forgery Lab. Seems like something a spy would want.

There's a satelite uplink for the internet, two or three guns, soundproofing on the walls (invisibility to sound seemed like the best way to build that). Oh, and one holding cell. I defined it as a closet or shower that is much stronger than it looks.

I thought about a vehicle, but even a cheap car would nearly double the cost of the power. I did include a steward; this would be someone who takes care of the safehouse when nobody is there. He might not be a spy himself, or even know that the place is a safehouse. He just cleans and maintains the place, and has a good knowledge of the surrounding area. Basically the safehouse comes with a cheap contact.

Oh, and last of all, False Identity, useable by other, up to eight people. The safehouse forgery lab comes with a few identities already prepared, just fill in the names.

Can you think of anything else a spy's safehouse might need?

Re: Brainstorm: what should a spy's safehouse have?

hmm, I could represent that as a don't-be-bored lab. Roll to stave off the effects of boredom. It sounds like an EGO roll. An EGO lab. I wonder how I'd write that up.

(or I could just do what I've seen done in Computer writeups and say "KS: Popular Entertainment, 11-")

Disguise Lab.

High Range Radio Hearing (Not only radio and TV (so as not to be bored, of course) but a local police and emergency scanner.

Cryptography Lab?

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

Well, not sure if we're going with labs only here but some things that spring to mind are:

• Armory: Guns and ammo
  • Money for various countries
  • Passports for various countries
  • Disposable cell phones
  • Computers
  • Clothing for various occasions (formal, casual, ethnic)
  • Tracking devices/bugs
  • Maps

Not sure how to write this up in game terms, but

The Entrance is not the Exit.

Our Hero is trailed going into the building on Fifth St. His opponents post guards on all known exits. Our hero takes a hidden stairway to a hidden tunnel and exits a building on Sixth St, on the other side of the block.

Our Hero is trailed going into the building on Fifth St. His opponents post guards on all known exits. Our hero takes a hidden stairway to a hidden tunnel and exits a building on Sixth St, on the other side of the block.

:thumbup:

I came up with

Emergency Exit: Teleportation 1", x128 Noncombat, Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (48 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Restricted Path (-1), Requires A Per vs. Shadowing Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

Real Cost 11, END cost 5

there are probably a couple of different types of safe houses.

all of them would have anonymity as standard then depending on its purpose there would be other features.

clandestine

much higher level of anonimty secret entrances etc a location for the most secure operations.

hardened

specially reinforced structure advanced security systems and heavy weapons caches location for secureing vunerable assest against heavy opposition.

luxury

fancy fittings all the best features the locations used to secure dignitaries and high value assets perhaps a hidden penthouse suite.

ad hoc

the most secret but least secure or equipped locations empty rental properties abandoned factories etc temporary safe locations secured by local assets.

It's better if this is a feature rather than an intervention. What I mean is something like, the service closet in the underground parking has two doors --one goes through to the next door building's parking. All your agency has to do is talk to a large architectural firm, and there'll be complexes like this all over the place, and none the wiser.

Given available resources from the Agency, they could have installed surveillance devices around the house - or have junior agents on-call to provide guards/sentinels.

The former might be a Clarivoyance effect with Focus; the latter could be either a Clairvoyance effect or an actual Summon/Followers effect.

there are probably a couple of different types of safe houses.

all of them would have anonymity as standard then depending on its purpose there would be other features.

clandestine

much higher level of anonimty secret entrances etc a location for the most secure operations.

hardened

specially reinforced structure advanced security systems and heavy weapons caches location for secureing vunerable assest against heavy opposition.

luxury

fancy fittings all the best features the locations used to secure dignitaries and high value assets perhaps a hidden penthouse suite.

ad hoc

the most secret but least secure or equipped locations empty rental properties abandoned factories etc temporary safe locations secured by local assets.

That's good! I already built the power as a variable summon. I could probably include notes about trading certain features for others to get the different styles of safehouse.

A self-destruction contingency. (Trigger explosion - perhaps selective to save the building?)

A stack of old WWII vacuum-sealed K-rations. (Life Support?)

Aaaah, or maybe an incinerator to destroy sensitive materials. or bodies. Now that is an idea.

I've considered the camera's as well, but doing anything with clairsentience is expensive as all get out.

I'm thinking it should have its own Concealment Skill Roll; this would represent two necessary aspects--

The anonymity of the building itself, to dissuade anyone from thinking there's anything unusual about the place.

To hide all these labs from any unauthorized persons who happen to enter ("Okay, two large pepperoni comes to--whoa, is that an M-16 on the coffee table?")

Other than that, I think everything else has been covered.

Guest Major Tom

I think the main thing to consider with regards to setting up a safehouse for

a spy-type character is the location where it's going to be established --

in a downtown area, an abandoned part of the industrial/warehouse district,

etc.

This in turn will depend on the type of spy being played; i.e., is he or she

a Jason Bourne/Beatrix Kiddo-type of spy, or is he or she more like James Bond

or Emma Peel -- or, for that matter, someone like Derek Flint?

If the former, any safehouse is by necessity going to be in an inobtrusive a

location as possible, considering that Bourne/Kiddo types have to keep "off

the radar" of whatever organization is hunting them, and will out of ne-

cessity have more than one emergency escape route available to them. In

addition, the safehouse will have a minimum of supplies available (currency,

passports and other documents appropriate to the country that the safe-

house is in -- including neighboring countries -- and maybe a weapon and

some spare ammo), as it will most likely be intended for short-term occupan-

cy (no more than a week at most); bathroom facilities will depend on the

state of the local plumbing.

If the latter, having or not having a safehouse probably won't be as much of

an issue, as Bond/Peel types generally have extensive support infrastructures