Missing Airliner

Marcus Impudite

It was a fairly normal day...until a fight out of LA bound for NYC disappeared from the radar in midair somewhere over the midwest! Everyone you'd expect to get the call on something like this, the FAA and the Air Force just to name a few, are already investigating the plane's disappearance. Thus far, nothing has been found, no sign of a crash, no debris field, and no sign that it made an emergency landing; an entire commercial aircraft with crew and a full load of passengers is just gone, with (at the moment) no explaination as to how or why. WWYCD?

At the approximate point in the air the plane was when it disappeared, any member of your team with any kind of energy senses will notice a very strange energy reading. For want of a better description, it's an "energy cloud," invisible to the naked eye and more than large enough for the missing aircraft to have passed through...

Re: Missing Airliner

Soulbarb is a detective type, but she's based in Texas and is a steret-level super, not a nation-spanning one. Odds are pretty good someone else with a mystic background -- probably someone higher profile -- would be along to investigate it long before she would. If, by GM's hook or crook, she happened to be the one on the spot... assume the authorities will cover the technical end of things, since she's not really well-equipped to look into that anyway, and start looking into the mystic end of things. If there's magic involved in the plane's disappearance, she could likely figure it out. Failing that, she's a pretty good detective; perhaps there are clues about to be found.

She'll also call up Nocturne, her conspiracy-theory-loving boyfriend, and see if he's heard anything that might point her in at least a semi-useful starting direction.

Sylph is not a detective, and isn't well-suited to be one. If UNTIL has a direction to point her in, she'd be happy to help, especially if there's a possibility the plane may have crashed and there could be survivors that need medical attention and/or rescue. Failing that, if the plane has truly vanished without a trace, there's only a couple things she could do:

-- listen to the voices of the planet's plants, carried on the breeze, for whispers of things more sensed than seen, which might be related to the plane's disappearance,

-- or, more problematically, call upon the capricious Greek gods for divine assistance. She'd be reluctant to do the latter unless matters were really desperate though.

It was a fairly normal day...until a fight out of LA bound for NYC disappeared from the radar in midair somewhere over the midwest! Everyone you'd expect to get the call on something like this' date=' the FAA and the Air Force just to name a few, are already investigating the plane's disappearance. Thus far, nothing has been found, no sign of a crash and no sign that it made an emergency landing; an entire commercial aircraft with crew and a full load of passengers is just gone, with (at the moment) no explaination as to how or why. WWYCD?[/quote']

Just out of curiosity, have you decided whether the plane's transponder just stopped responding to the air traffic control radar beacon system or actually disappeared completely from NORAD tracking radar at the same time as well?

Just out of curiosity' date=' have you decided whether the plane's transponder just stopped responding to the air traffic control radar beacon system or actually disappeared completely from NORAD tracking radar at the same time as well?

That does make a huge difference in what to look for. If the transponder just stopped but NORAD still had a skinpaint, it's possible that someone has hijacked it. If NORAD lost it too...

Then we need to look for the debris field. :(

Volt- See Clonus response. Fly around the area and look for something suspicious.

Olorin - If any character I had could find out what happened, he could. If magic were involved and he got near where it was last noted, he'd know it. With a bit of prep (several hours) he could do a mystic retrocognition. If it went into a dimensional "tear" he could bring them back if the plane was still viable - or the remains if not. He could not easily prevent it from happening, but he could see and hear what happened. He'd then go forward with the info he had.

Black Tiger and Leadman are private detectives. Leadman specializes in lost things and people. Both would investigate occordingly; Black Tiger would swear first, of course.

Futurian - "Uh... Just because I'm from the future it does not mean I remember this. Or that I am a living viewing screen. I'll see what I can do." He'd go to the area where it was last seen and look around. I'd be astounded (or suspect GM fiat) if he found anything. He really would not try hard before getting distracted and forgetting about it.

Kodiak: Semi-retired, but an experienced pilot. I'd expect he'd be a source of 'expert opinion' for the local meta-connected contact point (in HHC anyhow), but that's about it (barring further information).

Speedzone: Unless the local UNTIL office (or maybe Dr Silverback/the Champions) had a reason to call on him, or he had a personal reason to get involved, I don't see him getting involved unless they were farming data out to any available scientifically-minded heroes in hopes that someone would 'see' something.

Vector: Currently an unknown for the most part, and not likely to get involved on anything on a national level for the foreseeable future without GM fiat. Still, if this were a 'hypothetical future' possible plot thread, he'd probably likely be called in as part of the initial search team if it involved metas. His primary power is supersonic flight.

Vagabond: A member of the West Coast Avengers team in the Bunnyverse. Almost certain to get involved at some point, and this would probably make a good crossover between the East and West coast teams. Vagabond's powerset includes the ability to create XDM Gates, plus he's knowledgeable about 'dimensional navigation' and magic. Throw in precognitive dreaming, and he's a walking potential plot hook.

Just out of curiosity' date=' have you decided whether the plane's transponder just stopped responding to the air traffic control radar beacon system or actually disappeared completely from NORAD tracking radar at the same time as well?

Gone completely off NORAD...and no sign of a debris field either.

Well, the Skeleton Crew would probably get called in, since the Campaign City was in Nebraska, and there's great big holes in reality in the area now. Only some of them are Vitus's fault.

But unless there was mystic involvement, there's not much he could do - unless somebody has has bone sample or tooth or two from one of the passengers, and they're still actually on the planet somewhere (not a spell he advertises - he has enough distractions without being called in on every missing person case)

Jack "Crash" Parker: Crash would take a straight forward aproach. He'd hop into the Crashmobile (A submersible Helicopter) and fly the exact course of the plane and search the area where it disappeared. If it was lost over water, he'd see if there was anything wrong under the water. He'd also call in a favor or 2 with szome powerful supernatural beings that may be able to help.

Iron Maiden and Hell's Angel both fly to the area where the plane vanished and start looking around for the "nacreous vagina of space"* and hope that they don't find it by accident. (Flying through it while conscious is...bad.)

*That is, the rift in time through which the plane flies into the past in THE LANGOLIERS. Who first called it "the nacreous vagina of space" among my fellow gamers I've long since forgotten, but that's how we always describe it.

Kurzhaan the Conqueror would offer to try retrocognition spells if he could get a ride along the flight path by the Air Force or a flying hero. He might also try a tracking spell (Mind Scan) if someone could provide personal effects that he could pick up a passenger's aura from - that might work if the plane was teleported to another locale rather than crashing.

Super Model doesn't have any special senses or detective skills and can only fly at about the interstate speed limit, so not much opportunity to help.

Earth Girl's reaction would be "One less flying tin can to cater to the elite and increase pollution in the skies... remind me what the problem was, please?"

It was a fairly normal day...until a fight out of LA bound for NYC disappeared from the radar in midair somewhere over the midwest! Everyone you'd expect to get the call on something like this' date=' the FAA and the Air Force just to name a few, are already investigating the plane's disappearance. Thus far, nothing has been found, no sign of a crash, no debris field, and no sign that it made an emergency landing; an entire commercial aircraft with crew and a full load of passengers is just gone, with (at the moment) no explaination as to how or why. WWYCD?[/quote']

Unless something more comes up in the preliminary investigations (temporal or dimensional anomolies, mircofragments of debris, something like that), this one gets left for the FAA and FBI. They've got much more manpower to run this sort of thing down than my characters do.

In short, if the GM wants to set up an unsolvable mystery, I'll leave it unsolved. Give me a clue or two and I'll run it down, otherwise I am left with the conclusion that the GM doesn't want us to fix this.

That's probably not going to help any of my characters. Exotic energy senses are pretty low on the priority list, below useful skill packages and sheer surviviability... Sorry.

Rather than clutter up this thread with my character's unsuitability to this scenario, I'll just bow out here...

It was a fairly normal day...until a fight out of LA bound for NYC disappeared from the radar in midair somewhere over the midwest! Everyone you'd expect to get the call on something like this, the FAA and the Air Force just to name a few, are already investigating the plane's disappearance. Thus far, nothing has been found, no sign of a crash, no debris field, and no sign that it made an emergency landing; an entire commercial aircraft with crew and a full load of passengers is just gone, with (at the moment) no explaination as to how or why. WWYCD?

At the approximate point in the air the plane was when it disappeared, any member of your team with any kind of energy senses will notice a very strange energy reading. For want of a better description, it's an "energy cloud," invisible to the naked eye and more than large enough for the missing aircraft to have passed through...

Well, after cheating at the spoiler, my character does have the skills to find that which you speak. What to do after that? Badger has no friggin' idea.

For Frosty Bob- No where near his dept. Just wake him up when the inevitable fight starts. Ok?

El Aguila Azul would contact a scientist pal and hire a plane from a nearby airfield to investigate.

EDIT: The scientist's 'weird stuff meter' would pick up the weird energy signature and El Aguila would tell him to take the plane in for a landing while he parachutes into the energy cloud.