Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghost-angel

Steampunk - Source Material

Re: Steampunk - Source Material

I'm suprised nobody posted this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35763[/ATTACH]

Steam Punk JLA.

Super Heroes and steam Punk I find fascinating, I think its the detail in costumes, you know away from the standard spandex.

Civil War Steampunk

What isn't mentioned there is that Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin got his idea of building airships as an observer in the Civil War. I think hot air balloons were also used for aerial reconnaissance during the Franco-Prussian War.

Also, Abraham Lincoln made good use of the railways, industrialization, and telegraphs during the war. IIRC, the Gatling Gun was also invented during that time period.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, you might want to consider the Ghosts of Manhattan by George Mann. It's a good read and paints a real good picture of what the world would be like in a steampunk setting. It centers around the "World's First Steampunk Superhero" and leaves room for a string of sequels.

Ok... not sure if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but I just started reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Pretty good so far, and hear great things about the series.

http://www.amazon.com/Perdido-Street-Station-China-Mieville/dp/0345459407/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273861288&sr=8-4

Ok... not sure if anyone has mentioned this one yet' date=' but I just started reading [u']Perdido Street Station[/u] by China Mieville. Pretty good so far, and hear great things about the series.

http://www.amazon.com/Perdido-Street-Station-China-Mieville/dp/0345459407/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273861288&sr=8-4

The Scar is also really good... Iron Council far less so.