Hero System 60th Edition

rjcurrie

In the Sixth Edition Showcase #1 thread, Trebuchet made the following observation:

As has been noted before' date=' no set of rules can prevent unbalancing builds - it's up to the GM. That was the case in 5ER; it'll be just as true in 6E or 60th.[/quote']

And I had to wonder; what will the Hero System 60th Edition be like? What will we arguing about?

Re: Hero System 60th Edition

Given the current evolution in page count, the rules for 60th edition will be more than 7 quadrillion pages:

Champions 1e: 64 pages

Champions 2e: 80 pages

Champions 3e: 144 pages

Hero 4e: 219 pages

Hero 5e: 384 pages

Hero 5er: 592 pages

This is an average of x1.74 per edition. We don't know 6e yet, so counting from 5er (edition 5½), we get that edition 60 will have 592 x 1.74^54.5 pages, or 7.525 quadrillion pages.

- Klaus

Given the current evolution in page count, the rules for 60th edition will be more than 7 quadrillion pages:

Champions 1e: 64 pages

Champions 2e: 80 pages

Champions 3e: 144 pages

Hero 4e: 219 pages

Hero 5e: 384 pages

Hero 5er: 592 pages

This is an average of x1.74 per edition. We don't know 6e yet, so counting from 5er (edition 5½), we get that edition 60 will have 592 x 1.74^54.5 pages, or 7.525 quadrillion pages.

- Klaus

I suppose the rule book really will be bulletproof by that point.

...but will it be disintegration proof?

The 59th Ed. became necessary when 58th edition books became a limited hive-mind that desired only to gather all of itself together in one place. It influenced owners of the books to organize and attend "Alpha-Omega-Con," but with that much mass collected together in one place, the entire convention hall collapsed into a black hole. Many Hero gamers were lost on that dark day.

Later analysis revealed that there was one imperfection in the rules that caused the disaster, and once that was corrected, the 59th edition of HERO was perfect. That one imperfection? ;):sneaky::rolleyes:

The 59th Ed. became necessary when 58th edition books became a limited hive-mind that desired only to gather all of itself together in one place. It influenced owners of the books to organize and attend "Alpha-Omega-Con," but with that much mass collected together in one place, the entire convention hall collapsed into a black hole. Many Hero gamers were lost on that dark day.

Later analysis revealed that there was one imperfection in the rules that caused the disaster, and once that was corrected, the 59th edition of HERO was perfect. That one imperfection? ;):sneaky::rolleyes:

My Gods! Who knew the ISBN could cause so much havoc!!

Later analysis revealed that there was one imperfection in the rules that caused the disaster' date=' and once that was corrected, the 59th edition of HERO was perfect. That one imperfection? ;):sneaky::rolleyes:[/quote']

Failure to turn COM into a figured characteristic. :D

In 6Oth Edition will it be kosher to download your character

(to your GM's system) from a PDA that does not run the

Hero System as its primary OS ?

I mean, can you trust a character made by someone

who hasn't reformatted his gaming system with HERO ?

in 59th Edition you could stat out FX, Characters and Items directly to your Hero Data drive by pointing the camera lens from your PDA at a TV or movie display for at least 20 seconds while said character or item was moving on-screen.

60th Edition will be able to do the stats in only 7 seconds,

and will also read IMAX, 3D, and hologram formats.

Well, in 6th edition Figured CHAR were eliminated, but due to poor sales they were reinstated in 7th edition.

But due to poor sales they were swapped in 8th edition - one's PD, REC, STUN & Leaping determined their base STR, for instance.

9th Edition decided to reverse the Power building calculations: Limitations before Advantages

10th Edition did away with CHAR

11th Edition did away with Talents

12th Edition returned Talents

13th Edition returned COM

14th Edition returned the Figured CHAR

15th Edition based HERO costs on single points (1/5 the usual prices of course)

16th Edition altered the Base and Disadvantage Points to match the price changes of 15th Edition

17th Edition went diceless

18th Edition expanded the SPD chart to 15 Segments

19th Edition allowed characters to abort to Attack Actions

20th Edition consolidated Killing and Normal damage into a single mechanic

21st Edition split them apart, but reversed the mechanics

22nd Edition imported the Martial Maneuver creation rules over to the core rules

23rd Edition hard-coded SFX into the powers list by introducing Fireball and Lighting Bolt as separate powers

24th Edition used D20's for resolution

25th Edition re-expanded the base pricing of powers (5x 1/5 the original pricing scheme)

26th Edition made everything cost ~+5 points more than before

27th Edition eliminated COM again, but accidentally retained a section about it in the core rules, causing mass confusion

28th Edition fixed the mistake of 27th edition by removing the aforementioned section but accidentally re-inserted COM as a CHAR

29th Edition introduced ultra-simple powers as Attack, Defense, Movement, etc which were modified with "Modifiers"

30th Edition inserted COM a second time, as in, characters had two (2) COM stats now

31st Edition went for greater realism and hard-coded such things as Bleeding, Wounding, Disabling, etc into the rules

32nd Edition doubled the Perk list

33rd Edition lumped Skills and Perks together into "Other Stuff"

34th Edition reintroduced Talents so that characters had CHAR, Other Stuff, Talents, Powers, and Complications

35th Edition required a resolution roll for every single action, with the new slogan "Take Nothing For Granted With HERO!"

36th Edition eliminated the other 12 Segments of the SPD Chart

37th Edition introduced Martial Optional Maneuvers, dropped the extra COM stat, and decoupled Figured CHAR again

38th Edition eliminated STUN

39th Edition eliminated Defenses and STUN Damage

40th Edition halved the doubling point of Normal CHAR Maxima

41st Edition introduced a Social Conflict system

42nd Edition introduced the incorporation of action figures to the rules

43rd Edition introduced Mega-Damage

44th Edition introduced rules incorporating PC-made images

45th Edition expanded the action figure clause

46th Edition re-expanded character point totals to accomodate the changes from 25th and 26th Edition

47th Edition removed Background, Personality, and Appearance from having any bearing on one's Complications

48th Edition hardcoded Powers/Tactics, Quotes, and Campaign Use into the rules

49th Edition accidentally reversed the building templates for the Size Classes

50th Edition introduced Mega-Defenses

51st Edition reversed combat emphasis - Defender's DCV - Attacker's OCV = Defense Roll

52nd Edition introduced the "No You Didn't" clause of backyard Cowboys & Indians/Cops & Robbers

53rd Edition hardcoded it

54th Edition made shooting guns sideways like in New Jack City more effective than normal - don't ask how, they just found a way

55th Edition discovered Cold Fusion

56th Edition made shotgun damage equal handgun damage - see 54th edition

57th Edition expanded the Social Conflict system with a "Dozens" chart

58th Edition introduced Attacks of Opportunity

and finally...

59th Edition reintroduced the other 7 Primary CHAR

So now here we are, 60th on the horizon, and we are facing the possible decoupling of Figured CHAR and the change of COM to a Talent.

Personally, I think that COM could work as a Talent, while Figured Characteristics should stay coupled.

I was personally ticked off when I heard they were removing the Stun Exponent from Killing Attacks from 60th Ed. But then I heard they replaced it with the Stun Factorial for Killing Attacks. I am happy. :celebrate

I was personally ticked off when I heard they were removing the Stun Exponent from Killing Attacks from 60th Ed. But then I heard they replaced it with the Stun Factorial for Killing Attacks. I am happy. :celebrate

I was happy to see the Stun Exponent replace the Stun Differential Equation, but I can see how the Stun! (the shortened form of "Stun Factorial") does improve the realism of the KA.

It's not necessary to discuss the creation/writing of the 60th edition... by then, our computers will have Hero System OS 7.0 and will write, correct and modify the rules to the very best they can be. At this point, you won't have to sit down and write stats: just tell your computer what character you want and Hero System OS 7.0 will do it for you. ;)

It's not necessary to discuss the creation/writing of the 60th edition... by then' date=' our computers will have Hero System OS 7.0 and will write, correct and modify the rules to the very best they can be. At this point, you won't have to sit down and write stats: just tell your computer what character you want and Hero System OS 7.0 will do it for you. ;)[/quote']

After which, it will also play the game for you to save you the effort of being involved. ;)

- Klaus

Sheesh, guys, polish up that precognition. After the Black Hole disasters of the multi-quadrillion page 59th edition, 60th went in a completely new direction, in a stroke of utter genius the entire rules set was reduced to a single perfect haiku that, coincidentally, solved Unified Field Theory once and for all. In fact it had such a profound effect on reality that people can now literally re-write themselves using H60.

The haiku is reproduced below for those of you who can not wait.

Show Spoiler