Sixth Edition Showcase #3: Area Of Effect And Damage Shield

Steve Long

Re: Sixth Edition Showcase #3: Area Of Effect And Damage Shield

I'm interested in the new Surface AOE way of handling Damage Shield. A couple of thoughts...

1) I wonder if very large characters will be able to pick up this Damage Shield for the same price as normal-sized characters. The AOE notes seem to suggest that very large characters would have to purchase enough AOE (Surface) to cover their entire body.

2) I wonder if any character will be able to pick up this Damage Shield for only portions of their body. (For example, an animal with spikes on its back but not on its limbs, face, or belly.)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fixed the problem by charging a surcharge advantage on exotic attacks but keeping it at +1/2...

In other words, use the same method used for autofire. Which I think should also be applied to Continuous attacks -- it should be +1/4 to stick to an area, +1/2 to stick to a target, with increased cost for attacks vs special defenses.

Okay. This thread literally sold me on the new edition. Was on the fence before with a non-committal intention of picking up the core rule books at some unspecified time. I like the layout a lot and the AoE rules sound like right up my alley.

Regarding utility versus decoration; my first impression of the Kamarathin book was that the font was not fancy enough. As I read further into the book, the rather plain utility font was a blessing. I think utility will serve me better than fancy.

I am just getting back into the HERO System, after many years. I have picked up a few PDFs for the Fifth edition to bring me up to speed while I wait for the Sixth Edition.

I appreciate the way the Fifth edition is clearly laid out and to the point. This preview of the Sixth edition has proved you can have color and great layout. Well done! :thumbup:

you can have color and great layout

Yes indeed -- Fred is doing a great job, and a pretty speedy one too given that he's got a newborn at home. ;) So far I've just been poking through the PDFs he sent me whenever I need a specific page reference or something, rather than looking through from page 1 to the end, so it's kind of fun to come across some neat art I haven't seen yet, or some other nifty feature. :hex:

Hmm. Sounds good. I remember having friends complain that megascale area effect was too cheap--will that aspect of megascale be subsumed into AOE as well? Am wondering because of the part about AOE area being based on the value of the advantage rather than the active points of the base power...

I would also like to echo the sentiment of liking these showcases as a marketing tool.

Has anyone posted these on rpg.net and other RPG websites yet?

After all, why limit the sermons to the choir?

And to think, we still have... two, three Showcases left?

Hmm. Sounds good. I remember having friends complain that megascale area effect was too cheap--will that aspect of megascale be subsumed into AOE as well? Am wondering because of the part about AOE area being based on the value of the advantage rather than the active points of the base power...

Now that you mention it, I wonder what the fate of megascale will be too.

Once I began thinking about the possibilities in Area Of Effect (Surface)' date=' it changed my thinking about how to revamp that old HERO System favorite, Damage Shield. I’d initially planned to revise it using Trigger, but then a better idea hit me: a Damage Shield is just a Constant Area Of Effect (Surface) applied to one’s self — the Surface is the character’s body. Anyone who touches it, or gets touched by it in certain ways, suffers the effect. Conceptually and mathematically this worked out quite well, and I think you’re going to have a lot of fun with it.[/quote']

Running with that idea, you could make a Damage Shield that affects targets that hit you with ranged attacks by having an AoE Radius, no range, with the limitation that it only affects targets that hit you with ranged attacks. The Active Cost might become rather high, tho'.

- Klaus

Wait a minute: the rulebook is updating itself? :eek:

It became self-aware in early 2007, after bumming couch space and mooching food off of Steve for a couple years he finally just put it to work updating it's own layout and dealing with the printer.

Steve expects it to get its own place by the end of the year, and wishes it would clean up after itself.

If the total advantage you have to apply to a power to turn it into a damage shield is more than +1/2 there is no point in building a damage shield in superheroic games unless you are using advantaged (ACV/AVAD) attacks, or unusual attacks, like Flash, drain etc because there is no realistic possibility of getting through 'average' defences with the DS. That is assuming that active points matter in your game. Much less than that and those 'unusual' atatcks become far too effective as a damage shield.

Be interesting to see how it costs out.

The changes hinted at look very positive overall. Good job.

Looking better and better. I'm quite excited about not just the increased flexibility but also the streamlining of advantages we've been seeing so far. I also echo the thought that the art and layout are both looking fine.

I'm a little disappointed though that in 6th you still can't buy Invisibility to only one sense - EDIT: this is not true, as Steve later points out. Sorry.

In any case, thanks for another sweet preview.

I would also like to echo the sentiment of liking these showcases as a marketing tool.

Has anyone posted these on rpg.net and other RPG websites yet?

After all, why limit the sermons to the choir?

And to think, we still have... two, three Showcases left?

Would they mean much to people who aren't already intimately familiar with the system? I don't think so. These are about details that are changing, not about the virtues of the system as a whole.

That's absolutely incorrect. 5E' date=' 5ER, and 6E all have a Limitation that lets you restrict a Sense-Affecting Power to a single Sense.[/quote']

Oh, my apologies then. I'll edit the incorrect post.

Love it! Love it! The changes are really kicking those little things that nag the back of my mind when ever having to deal with them. It seems it will be much smoother now.

Love the layout too.

Would they mean much to people who aren't already intimately familiar with the system? I don't think so. These are about details that are changing' date=' not about the virtues of the system as a whole.[/quote']

They would mean something to anyone who currently plays 5e.

Y'know, like most of us.

Well' date=' yeah, but he was specifically responding to a suggestion that these also be put up at other RPG sites.[/quote']

I suspect he's referring to 5e players who do not visit the Hero Boards regularly (if at all) but may visit other RPG sites.