Evil org bases on chess pieces.

Badger

Yeah, it occurred to me today.

Some thoughts that I have thought of.

-I want to think up a job description for each of the 16 units on the board. Now it want just be just one member per piece. Say one of the pawn pieces could represent an army of henchmen.

-Another alternate idea is to make it a bigger global org. And each "group" of 16 pieces represent say a relatively autonomous conclave (like a VIPER nest in some ways). ANd there would be basically be off the 3 different colors. Now, I figure the red (since red is rarer in a chess set) could represent the "royal set" that is led by the actual head of the entire organization. What roles would "white sets" and black sets" could play and what could make them different? (not sure how big I am thinking on this, so I may scrap the global idea, but maybe some of you will give interesting ideas)

- Anyway, back to the first I mentioned. The roles of the 16 individual pieces. My tentative ideas.

King- The General of the set. Purely a leader, he may or may not have any actual powers. If he does it will almost certainly be powers of a mental nature.

Queen- No, not the king's concubine (actually, the king could be a woman, the queen a man) Since the queen has so much movement on an actual board. I figure he will be the king's "champion". The most powerful super of the "set".

King's Rook- taking the idea of "castling". I thought this would be the role for the King's personal elite bodyguard. Most likely, the most extremely highly trained, most well-equipped elite of his troops.

Queen's Rook- Probably lesser supers that act as backup to the queen (i kind of thought in a similar vein that the Lt, and numbered officers in Bleach are to the cpts.). I figure the personnel could range from 1 single member to unlimited (though probably no more than 8.

Note: In the interest of avoiding making this too long, I'll continue with a 2nd post.

Re: Evil org bases on chess pieces.

The 2 Knights- Special Ops types. Though, I dont exactly what kind (ninja, low level power armor, Green Beret/NAVY Seal type) But, I want to differentiate the 2 slightly(Queen side vs King side)

The 2 Bishops- have no idea. (doctors, scientists, techs?) Again differentiate from each side slightly

The Pawns- Your run of the mill henchmen, probably mostly support for the piece behind them. Abilities/Skills to vary slightly depending on which piece is behind them.

I do not believe the most powerful super of the set will appreciate being called a "queen" if he's a man.

Well, blame the inventor of the game. ;)

(I might could change the "names" afterwards, we'll see)

Oh and I dont know a name for them. I was thinking C.H.E.S.S. (but dont know what each letter can stand for)

charlton comics tried a series about an intelegence agency named CHESS in the 80'[s before it went under] the series would've been caled the KNIGHT

C. H. E. S. S. was developed by V&V (and is significant for the core book) , I would recommend not using that concept.

Check out some details here from an ongoing campaign.

http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=39

Sounds good, though it's been "done" so many times why not use "Chinese" chess, or Japanese

Gold General: Leader dude

Kirin: Speedster type....etc...?

As far as "Queen"...I Think the Islamic version used "Vizir" for that piece...

Sounds good, though it's been "done" so many times why not use "Chinese" chess, or Japanese

Gold General: Leader dude

Kirin: Speedster type....etc...?

As far as "Queen"...I Think the Islamic version used "Vizir" for that piece...

Dragon Chess...

Astro City also had this, Checkmate, a couple of others. The Prisoner had living chess in the courtyard.

If red is overall, what do black and white handle for responsibilities? Is white the public face, while black covert? Is a unit the same color? It seems you have a basic support structure.

CES

I'd have two teams, the Black team and the White team, for operational convenience, but otherwise idential.

The Queens are the most powerful individuals--flying brick or energy blaster, probably, very fast.

The Bishops are all-around tough guys. Fairly strong, fast, agile and tough. Not the tops in any area, but running a close second in all of them.

The Knights would be speedsters, teleporters or Spider-Man type dex monsters, able to bounce around the battlefield, attacking with little or no warning.

The Rooks would be tanks. Virtually invulnerable, strong enough to deal with any normal threats and many super-threats, but not showstoppers.

The Pawns would be, well, pawns. Numerous and disposable. Probably just armed and armored thugs.

The Kings would be support players, with powers that would enable them to assist the other team members. Aid (for their side), Drain/Suppress (for the other side), and so forth. Unable to defeat their opponents alone, but invaluable to their teammates. NOT the team leaders.

The Chessmasters (Grandmasters?) would be the actual brains of each team, probably lurking around somewhere near the operational area, giving instructions and so forth.

Shelley MacTyre did an org called Chessmen that was based on the first incarnation of DC Comics Checkmate; DC has since done a second incarnation that deliberately mixed supers and non-supers.

As noted above, this motif was also used for GENOCIDE in the 4th edition CU; the group was detailed in the Mutant Files supplement.

red and white was more popular through victorian times think alice thru the looking glass

knights should specialize in odd movements xdm tp etc

in real world chess a pawn is known by the file it's in not the file it started in so i wouldn't bother making them different

arabic chess has elephants instead of bishops or maybe it's rooks i forget which

Does this idea remind anyone else of:

Also, what happens when they run into the Chinese CHESS group?

Chinese Chess board is:

General

Adviser x2

Chariot x2

Elephant x2

Canon x2

Soldier x6 (I think)

I haven't played Chinese Chess in a long time, but it is a fun game so I suggest it.

la Rose.

Sounds good' date=' though it's been "done" so many times why not use "Chinese" chess, or Japanese[/quote']

You could also use one of the medieval variants. Pieces had different moves, boards were different sizes or shapes, and some versions had pieces not found in the modern game. There was even a version where capturing the king was not the object!

You could also use one of the medieval variants. Pieces had different moves' date=' boards were different sizes or shapes, and some versions had pieces not found in the modern game. There was even a version where capturing the king was not the object![/quote']

I just checked Wikipedia and there is mountains of stuff, and all sorts of varients I was unaware of...

Guest steamteck

My wife created a group way back when called the Chessmen

There leader or king was Adrian Machiavelli and was a subtle mind controller who looked like Charlton Heston in the 3 Musketeers

The queen was a powerful teleporter and telekinetic ( and looked like Faye Dunaway and was super hot)

The bishop was a wizard who looked like David Bowe's thin white duke

The rook was a juggernaut type character who charged really fast but had trouble with turns

The knight was an agile leaper sort of deathstroke type character who looked like Christopher Lee

The pawns were fanatical and never retreated.

I actually had evil chess character long ago.

If I remember right..

Rook: Brick speedster. Always did the move through. Think Juggernaught.

Knight: Actually rode a horse, and had a lance that had the Indirect Advantage.

Bishop: I think he was a mystic with multiple powers

King: Slow moving mentalist. The brains of the operation others had to protect. Good tactician.

Queen: Most powerful woman. Damage Reduction, and energy projector.

Pawns: 8 men with weapons and armor.

I've thought about doing the same thing myself, only not necessarily evil. Or, rather all of the chess motif orgs would not be evil.

The idea stems from using multiple colors. Not just black and white, but also gray and red. Different branches of the same org, only one of them (gray or red) would have sprung up within the org as a rogue branch, the other would be the 'plausible deniability' folks - the ones who do the stuff that the main org (black/white) doesn't want associated with them.

And part of me wants to work in blue and green as well, but I don't want too much specialization (no "blue is for oceanic and aerospace and green is for non-urban" or whatnot).

I have several high-end characters that often play chess together. Pawns are mystic constructs. The back eight are usually characters. NPCs or player getting the 'pieces' into the same square isn't always easy and the moving piece isn't always the winner of the space.