Waking up with super powers

quozaxx

Re: Waking up with super powers

What power would I want? All of them.

Screw it, if you're gonna dream, dream big. :)

That's my opinion.

What power do I want? The Power Cosmic! For someone who can do 'Anything', the Silver Surfer has no imagination.

What power do I NOT want? The same thing, but Always On, NCC.

Wouldn't matter how many people there are with powers, really, unless the other 6 of the 1 in a Billion decide to start taking over the world.

Tell people? Only my closest and dearest.

My life would be utterly turned upside down in the most awesome of fashions.

What kind of powers would you like to have?

I'd like to be an evil genius. If I was a mad scientist, my inventions would always be going awry. Evil geniuses don't have that problem.

For 350 pts I could:

be the foremost scientific genius on the planet

have a squad of loyal super-robot followers to go fight in my place

have a VPP (gadget pool) to exploit my opponents' weaknesses

have a small starter base

What would you really do if you woke up with super powers?

1) Quietly earn enough money to finance my plans and influence the globabl economy.

2) Build a robot to serve as my public heroic identity, so my enemies will expend their efforts trying to destroy the robot instead of trying to find me.

3) Build my squad of super-robot followers to fight crime and do other heroic deeds to earn me a reputation as a good guy.

4) Invent technologies that will help solve some of the world's problems, like fusion power plants.

5) Become a scientific / technological advisor to other superheroes ... since one of the easiest ways to influence someone's behavior is to control their access to information.

6) Create a secret villainous ID to start manipulating world leaders to do what I want.

What kind of powers would you NOT like to have?

Almost any power I couldn't control or had limited control over

I'm also not a big fan of blatant offensive powers, unless they're paired with potent defensive powers; I don't want to be a glass cannon

Would it matter if only 1 in a billion people had powers vs 1 in 100 million, or even 1 in a million?

Since other superhumans would potentially be my opponents or rivals, that would matter a lot.

Would you tell others?

That would eliminate most of the utility of a secret ID.

How do you think your life would change?

It would almost certainly exacerbate my tendency to view the majority of humans as idiots.

Super Speed. Lots of neat trick you can do. Gets you to point B pretty quick.

You'd think that, but I'm skeptical.

Yeah, to everyone else it looks like the Flash can run around the earth in a microsecond. But as far as HE'S concerned, it has to take about as long as it would take someone who could sprint the whole distance. After all, he's experiencing it at an accelerated rate sufficient to let him see and react to potential obstacles, right?

It's not like he's teleporting (even if it's often bought that way in HERO system). He has to run every gosh-darn foot.

So...yeah. It sounds good. But would I really want to run everywhere? Or take a long, long, long sprint to Chicago (and back) for something? I think NOT.

What power would i most like to have?

Unfortunately I'd have to steal the powers Colossus has. i like the idea of being just a normal person most of the time and, changing into something superhuman, and changing your body into metal would just be sweet.

Worst power?

To be Honest, mind control. In my opinion the temptation to use it to get anything i want is just too great. I don't know if i have the will power to resist walking onto a bank and convincing the teller that they should give me all the money.

God i wish i could say with some certainty that i wouldn't be a villain. I'd like to be a good guy though.

...It just happens to hit Pietro (and seems to not hit Flash).

Flash gets his speed from an external source and can control the influence it has upon him (and things around him)... Pietro, poor guy, is just fast. When he slows down its by suppressing his natural tendency for speed. No wonder he has such a bad attitude. :rolleyes:

I only need nine points, can I have this?

Mental Transform Planet Into My Willing Slaves:

Major Transform 1d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1), Penetrating (x2; +1), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), 1 Charge which Recovers every 1 Week (-2 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; Complex; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2)

aside from the abilities i already mentioned i wouldn't mind having catlike powers

I agree with Certified. Just what cat powers in particular were you referring to?

And in response to the OP:

Roll over and go back to sleep. Unless coffee's ready I'm not rolling out for anything.

A HUGE cosmic VPP. That way if I ever need to change things up, I can.

If that was too powerful, the ability to replicate any object I have ever touched out of nothing could be quite useful.

Energy blast powered by flatus and/or eructation (look it up
:D
).

Would it matter if only 1 in a billion people had powers vs 1 in 100 million, or even 1 in a million?

It probably matters quite a lot to anyone affected by these superpeople in some way. As for myself, only if any of those superpeople were bent on world domination, epic-scale vandalism or, at the very least given to antisocial behavior. Even then, only if they were not particularly powerful compared to myself. Then I'd be pissed.
:mad:

Would you tell others?

Only if they had clearance and a need-to-know.
:eg:

I think the sort of things I worried about would be quite different. Less worry about finance, more worry about world events like starvation, war, etc.

Any other thoughts on the subject or questions that need to be asked (that I didn't think of)?

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

I agree with Certified. Just what cat powers in particular were you referring to?

And in response to the OP:

Roll over and go back to sleep. Unless coffee's ready I'm not rolling out for anything.

A HUGE cosmic VPP. That way if I ever need to change things up, I can.

If that was too powerful, the ability to replicate any object I have ever touched out of nothing could be quite useful.

Energy blast powered by flatus and/or eructation (look it up
:D
).

It probably matters quite a lot to anyone affected by these superpeople in some way. As for myself, only if any of those superpeople were bent on world domination, epic-scale vandalism or, at the very least given to antisocial behavior. Even then, only if they were not particularly powerful compared to myself. Then I'd be pissed.
:mad:

Would you tell others?

Only if they had clearance and a need-to-know.
:eg:

I think the sort of things I worried about would be quite different. Less worry about finance, more worry about world events like starvation, war, etc.

Any other thoughts on the subject or questions that need to be asked (that I didn't think of)?

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

i'd have tought you'd want the stengh of a bear,to paraprase bravestar

Flight, and some kind of immunity from the rigors of using it at high speed.

Offensive powers. I get too annoyed with people on a daily basis for anything that could easily be used to harm others – Wal-Mart would be a killing field every time I shopped there.

Not to me personally, though the more powered people the greater the likelihood of someone crazy or homicidal getting powers, or of militaries pressing such people into service. The 1 in a billion, one super per inhabited continent option would probably be best for everyone.

Would you tell others?

Only my parents.

Flying would be the best rush ever. And beyond the joy of just using the power, I'd be able to travel cheaply whenever I wanted and broaden my horizons by visiting all the places I've ever dreamed of going.

Many problems involved in just waking up with superpowers.

Such as; Are you still in your bed and not somewhere several feet below it (density increase, desolid) or maybe lying in an expanding ball or flame / ice / swirling wind and wreckage?

Or that dream you had in the night... how many holes are there in the walls and cieling, or are there walls at all?

When the person you reside with (mother / wife / Aunt May etc) banged on the door telling you to get up, and you muttered "go to heck!", did that person infact get transported to heck?

Not a good thing.

Narratio raises a good point. Assuming I wake up and nothing else has changed, I might, after I finish freaking out, do like Croyd Crenson of "Wild Cards" does, and do tests to see what are my abilities.

Powers I'd like would be Mentalist. If I had to pick just one I'd choose "Brain Trust" from "Wild Cards" ability to absorb minds, memories, abilities, everything.

But like her, I'd never do it without permission.

Powers I wouldn't like would be stretching and body shape changing.

It wouldn't matter how many other Supers there were.

I'd probably not have a secret identity, unless the first time I absorbed a mind without knowing I could I kept things quiet.