Waking up with super powers

quozaxx

Marvel's New Universe did it, The novel series "Wild Cards" did it (even though it was in the 30s), and even the TV show Heroes did it. What am I talking about?

A sudden emergence of super powers. So I was thinking...

What would you really do if you woke up with super powers?

What kind of powers would you like to have?

What kind of powers would you NOT like to have?

Would it matter if only 1 in a billion people had powers vs 1 in 100 million, or even 1 in a million?

Would you tell others?

How do you think your life would change?

Any other thoughts on the subject or questions that need to be asked (that I didn't think of)?

Re: Waking up with super powers

Don't know depends on the super power, likely call in to work sick for a week at least.

The ability to transfer my consciousness from one body to another. (Hay someone has to get the cool villain powers.)

Invisibility, there are too many logistical issues with this in real life. I don't want to get run over by a car or have people bumping into me as I hang out at the girls locker over at LA Fitness.

Would it matter if only 1 in a billion people had powers vs 1 in 100 million, or even 1 in a million?

From an individual basis probably not, I'm not telling no one when I snag my new body. On a global scale it's would obviously have an escalating degree of impact.

Would you tell others?

Just one person.

This all depends on the degree of bastard I become as the hubris of my body jumping ability sets in.

Any other thoughts on the subject or questions that need to be asked (that I didn't think of)?

Do you think Angelina Jolie would notice if Brad Pitt put on like fifty pounds?

This is going to make me sound fairly dark but I would not be so heroic.

The powers I want? Perfect health like Cap or Wolvie or Mind Control. Why mind control? Fun and profit.

The power I wouldn't want? The mutation I already have. Kidney stones suck.

I wouldn't care who had what in terms of powers so long as I was left alone.

No one would know and I'd try to find a way to make money off of it because simply put I'd want to be comfortable.

Hows that for some random honesty? And if I had mind control I could make you forget I said any of it. :D

Yeah, Super Regeneration (ie instant healing of all but the most dangerous wounds), With Super Reflexes. Mini Brick class Strength. Wormhole style mega scale Teleportation (would include the ability to see my destination through the Wormhole). FTL Teleport that would allow me to travel around the Galaxy :D

Guest steamteck

I'd keep it low key and check what I could do.

Powers like my Avatar would be ideal Super Strength, Immune to small arms and most man carried weapons fast healing. immune disease and aging ( came later in his career) would be my first choice.

Highlander style immortality with limb regeneration would be my next choice.

Mind control might actually be the most useful in real life ( yeah evil I know) but I'd rally like an increased life span.

I would not like shapeshifting powers or disgusting powers like brain exploding.

Wouldn't matter how many there were unless it was so common it was easily accepted. I'd probably get discover eventually helping some one out.

I'd tell my family and close friends and that's about it.

...The novel series "Wild Cards" did it (even though it was in the 30s)...
Tachyon and the virus arrived post WW2, 1946.

Powers like to have - Emotion control rather than mind control. Much more subtle but just as deadly. Physical enhancements such as some form of perfect health, increased intelligence, stamina, strength. Nothing too superhuman.

Power like not to have - Any of of the ranged energy projecting ones. Can't see much use for them in this world.

Yes it would matter and no, I'd tell nobody.

Life change? Woah boy, I'd not be sitting on the banks of the Caspian for a start. I'd never have spent a decade in the sand box playing with arabs, nor been on the edges of 3 wars with strangers taking pot shots in my direction.

Most important for me would be What kind of powers and what power level?

Telepathy, Telekinesis, and Peak Human Potential w/Immortality.

Toxic Powers of any kind.

Would it matter if only 1 in a billion people had powers vs 1 in 100 million' date=' or even 1 in a million? [/quote']

I do not know? A real thought provoker.

Would you tell others?

Depends on what Powers I end up with.

I would have a better Job and earn more money. Lastly Terrorists and Criminals around the world would fear the anonymous evidence left in the hands of those they can use it. Evil Men beware. Justice for the World. A new Mind Master.

Present the Players with a Campaign Setting. (ie: A Player's Guide to your Campaign Setting.)

Hmmm...

QM

P.S.: Rising Stars by J. Michael Straczynski - Top Cow Productions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Stars

What kind of powers? Skill Mimic&Summon Clones... summon a clone and give him the skills needed to do the job I would be the most useful person ever,without having to place myself at risk.

What would I hate? Telepathy, what your thinking is non of my bissness.

Would it matter if others had powers? Hell ya, if everyone has powers, then chaos.

Who would I tell? Friends/ Family

How would my life change? I hope it would be more exciting!

This will sound painfully boring, but I have to suspect that I'll get bored after half an hour and be surfing the web and playing video games. Or working. Or whatever it is I would normally be doing that day. I might not even call in sick, depending on the exact powers.

Long term? Depends on powers.

I'm a bit of a sucker for Plastic Man type powers. Wouldn't say no to most super physical-type powers, either.

I'd feel bad about most mental powers, just out of how ethically wrong they would be, and worry about how long before I take a running leap off the slippery slope.

I also don't want any power that misfires or has side effects or uncontrollable activation in a way that makes it feel like a d*** GM is trying to screw with me (you know, precognition, only to see things that emotionally break you; or precognition, only to see things that happen because you had a vision and caused things to happen that way).

Would it matter if only 1 in a billion people had powers vs 1 in 100 million' date=' or even 1 in a million? [/quote']

Hard to say how that would effect me, though I would feel better knowing that other people are breaking the laws of physics.

Would you tell others?

Yes. Unless I had reason to believe that I would gain personal enemies willing to harm loved ones, secret identities are just dumb. But beyond that, it would seem an important development worth mentioning to those people I know. Also, I'd contact my doctor fairly quickly. And authorize him to get in contact with researchers to look at me. I don't believe in evil governments or secret conspiracies, but I do believe that research and science is a good thing.

I have no idea. Way too dependent on what powers I gained. But honestly? I fear very little. I'm just not the kind of person who is self-motivated and does things. I don't like travel, or performing, and I have a fairly strong lawful and non-violent streak, so I've probably ruled out most careers that having powers would give me access to. And I'm sure I violate union rules on all the others, if not OHSA regulations or various laws.

I suppose my biggest question is would we stay in the real world, or would we start to get hints that things were shifting to a more cinematic reality conducive to superheroism and supervillainy?

It completely depends on the powers in question.

Flight, Superhuman Strength & Invulnerability and/or

Immortality (unaging; regeneration/regrowth; resurrection, etc.)

Others would be fun, but those are the top choices

Powers that involve a physical change (unless it's the ABILITY to change my form and I can choose to revert to my normal form).

Inherently Destructive powers (energy blasts and the like)

Not to me.

Would you tell others?

My wife. Maybe a couple of close friends. Otherwise, no. The fewer people who know, the better.

With Immortality? I'd seriously reconsider life-changing choices. Going to school for four to twelve years and acquiring a boatload of debt to begin a new career makes a lot more sense when you have an indefinite lifespan than when you're 50 or 60 and looking at another 20 to 30 years of getting OLD.

With Flight & Brick Powers? I'd be out flying every ******* night, and in the daytime too once I've figured out how to come and go without being identified or tracked.

what would you really do if you woke up with super powers?

probably keep working. Bills don't pay themselves.

what kind of powers would you like to have?

transform, mechanical aptitude, mental control of technology.

what kind of powers would you not like to have?

i destroy everything i touch now so probably nothing like that.

no.

would you tell others?

no. No one needs to know.

how do you think your life would change?

it might get easier with the ability to fix things as i go.

ces

Marvel's New Universe did it, The novel series "Wild Cards" did it (even though it was in the 30s), and even the TV show Heroes did it. What am I talking about?

Would you tell others?

I'm running three campaigns with this premise (or very similar) (Seeds of Change, The Awakening and Empowered) and playing in one. I've found you have to PCs that are interested int being active rather the reactive. There won't be most of the traditional plot hooks and tropes to drag them into adventures (unless the GM provides them such an alien invasion or focusing play on finding why this is happening as two examples).

You can end up with some PCs going "Okay, I have powers...now what?" since there isn't a innate urge towards heroism or villainy. Some might just want to live normal lives (particularly if their powers don' compliment their life choices), get rich or famous but not particularly put themselves in danger.

Power level, IME, determines a great deal. If they are like the characters in Heroes, Typical Joes and Janes with a power or two character will more likely be "passive" than if they're full blown or even high powered supers (like in Supreme Power).

I've often thought I'd hate to suddenly end up with Superman's powers. Can you imagine the responsibility? How could you not try and save everybody? How could you justify sleep, let alone leisure time? But on the other hand, doing that could irrevocably change the world in unpredictable ways. You could end up destroying people's capacity to solve their own problems - why should they bother when SuperMe will just fly in and fix it?

And how long before I just decide the stupid humans clearly can't look after the planet by themselves, and the logical thing to do is to just take over?

Now, Spider-man's powers I could handle. Enough to help people, not enough that I can't justify taking time off to recharge my batteries. Plus, I can waltz into Sam Raimi's office and say, "So, about Spider-man 4..."

Super Speed. Lots of neat trick you can do. Gets you to point B pretty quick. Easy to hide.

There isn't a super power off the top of my head that I could say I wouldn't be happy waking up with. I could probably profit from most of them.

The few with powers, the better. There are already a lot of dumb people with power.

I might tell my close friends.

It would make things easier for me to have Super Speed. Professionally and personally.

I'd LOVE to have the powers of CAPTAIN COMET

• Pinnacle of human evolution

• Evolved mental functions not only provide genius level I.Q. but endow telepathy and mind control

• Telekinesis

• Fly at high-speed

• Create barriers of psychic force

• Fire bursts of psionic energy that strike targets with concussive impact or energy of various forms, such as electricity or fire

• Telekinetic shields that can be used to simultaneously protect from the vacuum of space, while surrounded with an aura of breathable oxygen

• Brain contains evolved sensory centers enabling clairvoyant sight even outside of normal range

• With focus on clairvoyance can see up to 100,000 years into the future.

• Possession of two extra senses: the "sense of strength" allowing evaluation of an opponent's strength and a "vibro-sense" to read the emotions of others

• Evolved physiology makes him superhumanly strong and durable almost on par with Superman

• A limited innate teleporting ability

• The ability to master any skill upon first attempt

• Photographic memory

• A comprehensive intellect well in advance of that of the average human

• Highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant

Would you tell others?

1. Keep it a closely guarded secret due to the nature of what I'd want to develop.

2. In my youth, I'd have said flight, invulnerability, speed, etc. Now a days it's likely to be a suite of healing and protection abilities, things that would allow me to repair damage/maladies/ageing to people and objects, and to generate force fields.

3. Anything destructive, I'd have a problem with. Again, in my youth, I was much less interested in healing and protection.

4. I wouldn't care who had abilities. As long as I had mine, and you stay out of my way, we'd get along just fine.

5. I'd only tell my family and my closest, personal friends. The people I trust with my life.

6. I don't see my life changing, but it'd let me do things that I'd really like to do. Helping the aged, the sick, the dying. Protecting my friends, and family, etc. I'm sure I'd be outed 'eventually'. I'd want to help people.

Essentially, most of my champion's characters now a days are built around healing, protection and pacification.

In my youth, they were more combat, smash, flight, etc, etc. =)

Super Strength :thumbup:

Explosive diarrhea :thumbdown

Would you tell others?

No.:hush:

For that whammy power what's the Limited Coverage value for 20 rPD Backside?